Arturia Pigments 5 out now

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pigments 5

chk071 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:00 pm you just pulled that claim out of your derrière.
Yes, it smells like that :o

martinjuenke wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:59 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:00 pm you just pulled that claim out of your derrière.
Yes, it smells like that :o
No, I actually agree with the claim, I also read than Arturia finance terrorism and is responsible of the crack of 1929.
Oh and I forgot, they encourage kids labour.

They are also French.

chk071 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:28 pm They are also French.
:oops:

We all have some problems...

:P

What can pigments 5 do that Dune 3, Massive X, and Ableton Wavetable can't do? I'm trying to see if I should buy it for $69 or not.

Great additive and granular for a start

Multiple synth engines with cross modulation between them all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsO8FtjTjt4

Wider range of filters including a LPG, very few synths have that - one of the few synths that can move fluidly between East and West Coast flavours

Probably one of the best sequencers in any synth plus a very intuitive and comprehensive modulation system with a lot of options

3ptguitarist wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:18 pm What can pigments 5 do that Dune 3, Massive X, and Ableton Wavetable can't do? I'm trying to see if I should buy it for $69 or not.
Cant say about Ableton Wavetable but pigments 5 is much easier to use then Dune 3 and Massive X, workflow is much better. Pigments 5 has a really fun and inviting to use sequencer, with Multicore added option id say its quite easy on CPU now too. It has better fx then Dune 3. Better sampler and also granular oscillator mode.

So am I... (And I also encourage child labour tbh, but just mine :D ).

3ptguitarist wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:18 pm What can pigments 5 do that Dune 3, Massive X, and Ableton Wavetable can't do? I'm trying to see if I should buy it for $69 or not.
Really, you are hesitating to buy pigment 5 at 69$??
Just close the eyes and press the button!

As it was said before, 4 major reasons:
1. It goes way beyond wavetable with additive, granular, FM, etc... And excellent filters and effects.
2. Arturia has demonstrated a top level support of it with continuous free upgrades.
3. A praised modern and practical UI. (Love it or not, it is a good UI).
4. It is one of the "king" synths like Serum or Diva so the number of external materials like YouTube tutorials or presets is huge.

aMUSEd wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:23 pm Great additive and granular for a start

Additive is very limited.

You can not cross modulate Samples with VA, wavetables or additive.

Pigments is best viewed as the best MPE capable granular synth with a variety of good filters. It's really average at everything else due to the flat sound of the VA, Additive and Wavetable engines.

wvshpr wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:48 am
aMUSEd wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:23 pm Great additive and granular for a start

Additive is very limited.

You can not cross modulate Samples with VA, wavetables or additive.

Pigments is best viewed as the best MPE capable granular synth with a variety of good filters. It's really average at everything else due to the flat sound of the VA, Additive and Wavetable engines.
"Flat sound of the wavetable and additive engines".

I thought I've heard all the absurd things regarding oscillators in synths. But this statement wins them all. Congratulations!

Wavetable engine plays whatever you want it to play. Any waveform from any synth. Want to play MS20 or MiniMoog raw saw waveform? Just import it.
Last edited by Igro on Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

The additive is pretty deep actually and has a unique approach (closest I can think of is Parsec). And you can cross modulate the sample engine with the harmonic. Doing it right now. You are entitled to believe it sounds 'flat' but I don't, I am always delighted by the sounds I get from it.

Igro wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:02 pm
"Flat sound of the wavetable and additive engines".

I thought I've heard all the absurd things regarding oscillators in synths. But this statement wins them all.
Well, it's all relative. I'm comparing it to Alchemy (additive), Serum (wavetables + additive editor) and Massive X (wavetables) which are incredibly flexible engines.

So yes, all in all, quite good, but better alternatives are also out there.

Return to “Instruments”