Most-tolerated Genre?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

donkey tugger wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:36 pm
Bombadil wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:06 pm
revvy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:58 pm Show you have no idea about auto tune without etc
I know it or melodyne are ubiquitous in the music industry of today. They're studio time savers at best, and crutches at worst.

FTR, I have Melodyne. I use it mostly on my bass guitar, and to occasionally touch up my vocals. My wife, an actual trained singer, has no need for it.
It's just a useful tool like any other - some will use it more obviously, most of the time you won't even notice it's been applied.

Pitch correction does rather seem to have come to occupy the 'bogeyman' status for the musically conservative (small 'c'!), in a rather similar same way Ms Swift has for the politically conservative.
Yup.

My mate is a concert pianist. He has no need for synths or sequencers. However, I love Jeff Mills. One doesn’t preclude the other.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

BONES wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:22 am No, I'm not. There is zero attitude in any of Beyonce or Twain's work. It's glossy pop shite from go to woah. Could you imagine Col Kilgore flying over the treetops of the Vietnam jungle with All the Single Ladies or Man! I Feel Like A Woman! blaring from the loudspeakers? No, it would be laughable.
I'm not the person you are speaking to, but I personally can absolutely imagine that music being played, and for exactly the same reason Col Kilgore played "Ride of the Valkeries" To freak out the enemy. :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_in_ ... %20torture.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/music ... orturetop1
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Simply put: thousands of great recordings were made before the advent of these tools. Now, with the 'democratization' of music production, there are people who can't sing who think 'I don't need to work on this, or practice, because new tools.' Which is fine. Different strokes for different folks. Everything in my music is me. If I can't play something on the keyboard, I don't enter the notes on the grid. I practice until I can. If I lay down a stinker of a vocal take, I'll redo it. Everything I do is, to a large extent, me. I am wary of even using an arp.
Same goes for anyone laying down a few loops and calling themselves a 'music producah.'

I view all the great, organic music that came before as a gauntlet thrown down. The task, for serious people, is to better it, not wallow in mediocrity.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:20 pm Everything in my music is me. If I can't play something on the keyboard, I don't enter the notes on the grid. I practice until I can. If I lay down a stinker of a vocal take, I'll redo it. Everything I do is, to a large extent, me
I laud your efforts and do NOT mean to demean them, but I myself have never bought into the "do it all yourself" argument. No man is an island.

"if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants"

-- Beyonce*
Bombadil wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:20 pm I am wary of even using an arp.
Oh, nice. I thought I was the only one. When I talk to people about synths and say "I don't give a rat's ass whether it has an arp," I get very quickly shouted down.

* Yes, I was kidding. Newton, of course.

Introspective wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:35 pm
Bombadil wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:20 pm Everything in my music is me. If I can't play something on the keyboard, I don't enter the notes on the grid. I practice until I can. If I lay down a stinker of a vocal take, I'll redo it. Everything I do is, to a large extent, me
I laud your efforts and do NOT mean to demean them, but I myself have never bought into the "do it all yourself" argument. No man is an island.

"if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants"

-- Beyonce*
Bombadil wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:20 pm I am wary of even using an arp.
Oh, nice. I thought I was the only one. When I talk to people about synths and say "I don't give a rat's ass whether it has an arp," I get very quickly shouted down.

* Yes, I was kidding. Newton, of course.
Of course we stand on the shoulders of giants. The point is: then what? I mean, if people want to do what they want to do, who am I to try to stop them? Nobody. I believe in creativity and self-expression. Absolutely. I wouldn't be here otherwise. But I have my views and perspectives from being a music lover and a musician for longer than most people here have been alive. My kind are on the way out. It is what it is, but I make no apologies for staying comfortably with the artists who have vision and talent, and who make me happy. It is very much a 'to each their own' thing. My thing is to try not to make disposable music. Nor, do I listen to it.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:20 pm Simply put: thousands of great recordings were made before the advent of these tools. Now, with the 'democratization' of music production, there are people who can't sing who think 'I don't need to work on this, or practice, because new tools.' Which is fine. Different strokes for different folks. Everything in my music is me. If I can't play something on the keyboard, I don't enter the notes on the grid. I practice until I can. If I lay down a stinker of a vocal take, I'll redo it. Everything I do is, to a large extent, me. I am wary of even using an arp.
Same goes for anyone laying down a few loops and calling themselves a 'music producah.'

I view all the great, organic music that came before as a gauntlet thrown down. The task, for serious people, is to better it, not wallow in mediocrity.
Would you say I was "wallowing in mediocrity", having entered all the notes via the mouse, and also used pitch correction for this?

https://donkeyt.bandcamp.com/track/walking-to-the-edge

For me I'd say that the tools enable me to produce something I couldn't otherwise do - it's still obviously 'me'. It's the end result that matters, not some notion of 'authenticity' as far as I'm concerned.

No. I started playing keys at 6-7 years old. My father's accordeon, that was very unwieldy for my age. Though I've neglected it, I'm actually playing keyboard more now than I have in years. My lifelong best friend and musical partner (dead since 2011) played keys on our stuff until his Muscular Dystrophy made it impossible for him to play. I stuck to guitar and bass through those years, so my keyboard skills atrophied. The point is, I don't have to use a step sequencer to get something musical out of a keyboard. Nothing against anyone who does. As you say, it's the final result that matters. I like your stuff, notwithstanding you burying the singing in the mix.
So, I am no virtuoso, by any means, but I can play. It's been a part of me for 57+ years. My father also taught me to read music at the same age.

And no, I'm not playing ann####*#!accordion at my age. :P
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:43 pm I make no apologies for staying comfortably with the artists who have vision and talent, and who make me happy. It is very much a 'to each their own' thing.
Just to be clear: you don't have to apologize and I wasn't asking you to.

revvy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:46 pm
donkey tugger wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:36 pm
Bombadil wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:06 pm
revvy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:58 pm Show you have no idea about auto tune without etc
I know it or melodyne are ubiquitous in the music industry of today. They're studio time savers at best, and crutches at worst.

FTR, I have Melodyne. I use it mostly on my bass guitar, and to occasionally touch up my vocals. My wife, an actual trained singer, has no need for it.
It's just a useful tool like any other - some will use it more obviously, most of the time you won't even notice it's been applied.

Pitch correction does rather seem to have come to occupy the 'bogeyman' status for the musically conservative (small 'c'!), in a rather similar same way Ms Swift has for the politically conservative.
Yup.

My mate is a concert pianist. He has no need for synths or sequencers. However, I love Jeff Mills. One doesn’t preclude the other.
my mate damian, is a concert tuba player.
met him through megadog.

Bombadil wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:21 pm The point is, I don't have to use a step sequencer to get something musical out of a keyboard.
A lot of what I record is my own playing. I'm a terrible keyboard player, but I like what I play. That said, I think that what a lot of people who like electronic music get from step sequencers and arps, and this is certainly true for me, is the strict mechanical timing of the thing. In other words, we want some aspects of music to sound like it was produced by a machine. Even the best players will struggle playing this with the same precision as a machine. It relates to entrainment and the feeling of europhoria that one gets from that.

In short, house music without machines is disco. Both are fun, but neither is a pure replacement for the other.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Introspective wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:13 pm
Bombadil wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:43 pm I make no apologies for staying comfortably with the artists who have vision and talent, and who make me happy. It is very much a 'to each their own' thing.
Just to be clear: you don't have to apologize and I wasn't asking you to.
Well, there are going to be people who take my opinions and experience as an affront. But that is their choice, because I mean no affront to anyone personally.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:33 pm
Well, there are going to be people who take my opinions and experience as an affront.
beyonce? :hihi:

vurt wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:36 pm
Bombadil wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:33 pm
Well, there are going to be people who take my opinions and experience as an affront.
beyonce? :hihi:
Among others….. :hihi:
-Martin Luther King Jr.

To the left to the left everything you own in a box to the left, in the closet that's my stuff if I bought it please don't touch.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”