One Synth Challenge #180: Regency by nakst (ELEX Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Regency

Submissions:
https://soundcloud.com/kvrosc/sets/one- ... llenge-180

Results Post:
See Here

Welcome to the One Synth Challenge:
It's a friendly music competition where you can win cool prizes but most importantly, meet amazing musicians, and learn a lot about mixing, sound design, and more! :)

This Month's Synth:
Regency is a multi-tiered phase distortion synthesizer which supports the CLAP plugin format and is available for Mac, Windows and Linux platforms. You will need a DAW that supports CLAP. If your DAW doesn't support CLAP, please message the developer to add support. Why is CLAP important?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81QCbBIWoQ8

Prizes:
(Would you like to be a sponsor / prize donor? Contact RichardSemper via PM or go ahead and post your intended donation here! Get a cool mention on our donator wall of honor)

Special Note:
We are offering a secondary prize (on top of the normal prize): Additional Bonus Prize!
  • For the highest Single Instance entry in the top 5 a cash bonus of $50. (note: this prize may be carried forward to selected OSC challenges until it is won)
  • Yuli Yolo Sound Design - Top 3 winners may claim a soundsets for Vital: Diversity, Bass Music Wavetables, Noises & Exciters.
  • discoDSP - Top 5 winners may claim a 50% discount coupon for discoDSP software. (Limited time only) (*New*)

Touch The Universe : **New Prize!!!*** Winner has option to receive 50 banks, totaling $1000 USD!!!

Red Rock Sound : **New Prize** Choose 1 Copy of any plugin

NUSofting : **New Prize** Choose 1 Copy of either Sinmad or Echobis

nakst : **New Prize** 1 copy of Integrate (A FL Studio / CLAP format synth only. *Not VST / Standalone*)

KV331 Audio : Bundle of Synthmaster One + Synthmaster 2.x!

Dmitry Sches : Diversion

ChordPak.com : 1x Pro Pack (Up to 3 winners may choose this)

United Audio Artists : Scratch Master Pro (2 may be chosen per month)

Yuli Yolo Sound Design : (Top 3 Winners get this) Soundsets for Vital: Diversity, Bass Music Wavetables, Noises & Exciters

Luftrum : Two Choices: 1x NFR license of either Bioscape or the new Lunaris 2 (or two soundsets of choice)

Audio Thing : Outer Space (vintage tape echo plugin)

Guda Audio : Euterpe XL

JRR Sounds: Any 1 soundset (This is a secondary prize, you may pick it as well as your main prize)

SoundGym : *NEW* 12 Month Subscription. (SoundGym is a
"technological, personalized and gamified audio learning environment")

JRR Shop : UVI: Digital Synsations (vintage 90's synth sample library and player)

The FXB Project by alvfaria : 1 commercial sound bank as an extra prize on top of the regular first prize. See the main site here

Abstract Cats Music : AbiTron Bank for Synthmaster

satYatunes : One of any commercial product

Xenos Soundworks : Choice of any 1 product

Twolegs Toneworks : Any one soundset

Newloops.com : any 3 sound packs of choice (excluding bundles)

The Unfinished : Any two soundsets of Choice

Aiyn Zahev Sounds: Any 2 Soundsets of choice from the website (Uplifting Trance Presets)

Mulperi : 1 Soundbank of Choice

Bjulin : Inspire soundset for Zebra²

LeapIntoTheVoid : Falcon Iterata X subscription or any two soundsets of your choice (Updated Prize!)

Solidtrax : 1 Soundset of choice (except for the Future Chill and Space Trips expansions)

Dream Audio Tools : 1 Indie Fingers bundle (Indie Fingers volumes One and Two)

Any other offers of prizes will be greatly appreciated. :hail: :hail: :hail:

Questions? Comments? Concerns? You want some love? Just post here in this thread :)

Want to try out your skills in other contests / competitions /challenges?
  • DiHalt Demoscene competitions - Developers may be looking for artists to make music.
  • Indaba - Has a mix of popular and indie artists with various contests like remixing and song writing.
  • metapop - Has many competitions, with a soundcloud like interface where you can share, upload, get likes, comments, etc.
  • Mix Challenge - Join monthly recurring Songwriting Competitions (with a new theme/genre every month) and/or Mix(ing) Challenges (mixing multi-tracks from scratch). Win prizes!
  • Open Source Music Nexus Challenge - From the people who brought you the FM Challenge last year!
  • Skio Music Contests - Lots of remixes you can join (Mostly EDM) - big prizes.
Last edited by bjporter on Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:26 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Great synth choice ! I hope I'll find some time to work with that one this month, phase distortions synth are not that common.

Nice! I haven't tried Regency before, very interested to see what it can do!
And no special rules! :)

The manual is hiding as a "404" page ... wonder where it really is ... ???

Also, how do you change the order of the FX chain at the bottom, and also, how do you change what FX is in each slot?

Answer: click "move" and then click the "move here" button which appears. Use "delete" to clear a slot and then just click to select which of the 6 you want in that slot.

dB

doctorbob wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:37 pm The manual is hiding as a "404" page ... wonder where it really is ... ???
For altitude it's available here, https://nakst.gitlab.io/altitude/manual.html
For integrate it's a PDF https://nakst.gitlab.io/integrate/manual.pdf
For Regency neither html nor pdf works :-(

I would actually need it as well. This "Math" typ of modulator leaves me puzzled ... let's ask at the discord channel for the manual.

doctorbob wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:37 pm The manual is hiding as a "404" page ... wonder where it really is ... ???
Nakst already replied on discord, quote:
"I never wrote a manual for Regency! But the manual for Altitude covers a lot of similar topics, such as the math modulators: https://nakst.gitlab.io/altitude/manual.html
Search for "Math units" in this file and you'll find it"

OMG ... there's a formula input facility! Thanks for "NeverBeenInARiot" which pointed it out on discord.

Press "state" of one of the Oscillator windows (I know it's not an Osocillator) ... anyways ... got to "formula" ... and dial in
sin(x * 2 * pi) --> complete sine cycle
sin(x * 4 * pi) * floor(x-0.5)+sin(x * 8 * pi) * ceil(x-0.5) --> 1 sine cycle in first, 2 in second half
sin(x * 32 * exp (1-x)) --> sine cycles with decrasing pitch

BTW: Dialing in formulas is allowed, isn't it? Just asking because the last formula resembles what I have done for "forgot the synth" and which was regarded "sampling". In this case the resolution of points in the result seems much less and thus this formula stuff is rather limited.

] Peter:H [ wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:41 pm BTW: Dialing in formulas is allowed, isn't it? Just asking because the last formula resembles what I have done for "forgot the synth" and which was regarded "sampling". In this case the resolution of points in the result seems much less and thus this formula stuff is rather limited.
No problem far as I can see. The wave is generated within the synth via its own formula input feature. Pretty neat really. :)

I have spent an afternoon full of fun, here's already an sketch:
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/osc- ... 156128b817

It was fun to find out how this Phase-Transfer-Function works ... for instance when you want to create a Square wave ... a brain that is not too meh on maths will help.
Also dealing with the formula stuff ist fun. I think I have to dive little deeper soon. But for today that's basically it.
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

] Peter:H [ wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:49 pm It was fun to find out how this Phase-Transfer-Function works ... for instance when you want to create a Square wave ... a brain that is not to meh on maths will help.
Also dealing with the formula stuff ist fun. I think I have to dive little deeper soon. But for today that's basically it.
I have a brain that is extremely meh on maths - time to dig out my very old school algebra books... :D

Square wave was quite easy, no formula required just a simple couple of points on the transfer function graph (with oscillator phase at 0 deg).

Adding PWM was also quite easy by manipulating the 2nd transfer function graph (using LFO for modulation of DIST AMT param).

A passable Saw is also possible with very simple manipulation of the transfer curve.

I really wish I had a math-oriented brain though, this could be very powerful...

neverbeeninariot wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:07 pm
] Peter:H [ wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:49 pm It was fun to find out how this Phase-Transfer-Function works ... for instance when you want to create a Square wave ... a brain that is not to meh on maths will help.
I have a brain that is extremely meh on maths - time to dig out my very old school algebra books... :D

Square wave was quite easy, no formula required just a simple couple of points on the transfer function graph (with oscillator phase at 0 deg).

Adding PWM was also quite easy by manipulating the 2nd transfer function graph (using LFO for modulation of DIST AMT param).

A passable Saw is also possible with very simple manipulation of the transfer curve.

I really wish I had a math-oriented brain though, this could be very powerful...
The square wave thing is mostly what I have as well ... my thinking was ... a basic sine wave has 4 interesting points: (1) Zero to start, (2) Maximum, (3) Zero in between, (4) Minimum, Zero at the End.
So when you set the grid to be divided by four you might be able to "grab" the sine maximum at grid line 1 (starting from 0) ... but this is just my guess on how things work. I could be completely wrong ;-)

] Peter:H [ wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:52 pm The square wave thing is mostly what I have as well ... my thinking was ... a basic sine wave has 4 interesting points: (1) Zero to start, (2) Maximum, (3) Zero in between, (4) Minimum, Zero at the End.
So when you set the grid to be divided by four you might be able to "grab" the sine maximum at grid line 1 (starting from 0) ... but this is just my guess on how things work. I could be completely wrong ;-)
I think you're right. I'm trying to find my way aound in the murky underworld of phase distortion but, as far as I can tell, the phase transform function y position is the index into the sine wave.
It seems to work very much like phase in the Grid in Bitwig, but without some of the more interesting phase modulators : )

The sawtooth-esque one is quite interesting. Looking at it on an oscilloscope, it's quite a curvy saw, which reminded me of an old analog synth waveform.

There was a 'SOS synth secrets' that covered phase distortion, but I can't find it. Does anyone know which one it is? Probably the FM ones.

How is Regent related to bitwig's phase 4?

And is there any way to visualize the waveforms like in phase 4?

urlwolf wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:30 am How is Regent related to bitwig's phase 4?

And is there any way to visualize the waveforms like in phase 4?
Regency is related to the concept of phase in the Grid, not necessarily Phase 4 the instrument (I'm not sure it does phase distortion?)

If you want to visualise Regency's output, it does have two very small visualisers at the bottom of the GUI, an external oscilloscope is better. I've been using MMultiAnalyser and the free MOscilloscope was recommended on Discord.
Last edited by neverbeeninariot on Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

urlwolf wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:30 am And is there any way to visualize the waveforms like in phase 4?
The built-in Oscilloscope in Bitwig does a great job for this.

Return to “Instruments”