Phrygian Dominant? Mixolydian b9b13? Spanish Gypsy?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Apologies for my own brain fart missing that. An objective name, clear.
The harmonic minor and so-called ascending form of melodic minor aka jazz minor are go-to sources for the exotic scale.

note: the passive aggression of the 'empathy and kindness' gesture in context is pretty sheer. Best of luck in future.

It's basically just the mode starting on the fifth note of harmonic minor. I prefer to call it Mixolydian b9 because I like to relate modes back to the major scale modes. It's just easy to remember that way.

If you're interested in going down this rabbit hole it's worth learning all the modes of harmonic and melodic minor. It's also worth learning the harmonic major and double harmonic major scales.

"Half - Aug - Half - Whole -Half -Whole -Whole"
Respectfully this might end up confusing yourself. E F G# A B C D E, or whatever key you choose, might not bend the brain as much.
"resulting in songs that sound like they were written in the Balkans" You might want to consider the rhythmical aspect of your writing, especially relating to Spain. Scales pop up all over the world in different contexts. You can find this scale in Indian Classical music for example.

Return to “Music Theory”