Phrygian Dominant? Mixolydian b9b13? Spanish Gypsy?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Phrygian Dominant? Mixolydian b9b13? Spanish Gypsy?

Half - Aug - Half - Whole -Half -Whole -Whole (I think I got that right)

When does each name of the same series of intervals more suitably apply?

Thank you.

I found some interesting comments here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/musictheory/co ... ish_gypsy/

Sounds like you answered your own question and then some.

Yes, there was a lot of information in that thread.

My question arises from repeated attempts to write something with the flavor of Spanish Gypsy music, resulting in songs that sound like they were written in the Balkans.

Definitely one of the loveliest sounds available to us. Done rightly, it just drips with emotion, IMO. :party:

The name isn't anything. I can't even keep up with all the names for these things.
Personally I hate the names from jazz chord scale theory like Phrygian Dominant. Dominant is a single, simple harmonic function that might in a small portion of use cases apply to this thing. Phrygian has a flat 3, period, though. Is a mode, where no harmonic function is implied or necessary.

In terms of a Spanish feel, consider this. The typical old Andalusion progression Am - G - F - E gives as a scale if you must do, E F G G# A B C D. Neither G is 'the one', you have both.
(Also this does not translate to an A minor progression "i bVII bVI V", as obviously attractive an idea as that may be. the center is E.)

"Mixolydian b9b13"

just stop that

Assuming this is an example of the Phrygian mode of Ab Major

What is this?

I am interested in learning.

something I had to stare at too long to know what notes are meant. Db looks as much like Eb as anything at my normal position.

it's a dominant something something by dint of the M3 and b7 by convention, maybe, if the target of a harmony using it is F.

It is not different than C Phrygian except for its major 3. Or, as I_have_already given you it's the full set of tones as horizontally organized in the Andalusian progression 'iv - III - bII - I' absent its 'minor 3'.
like, what is this: C Db Eb Fb Gb Ab A Bb? No answer of another's is going to affect me. I have no need to name it, names of things are inessential. I remember names rather poorly anyway and musical concepts quite well.
I don't know, what is that to you and why?

Assuming this is an example of the Phrygian mode of Ab Major

You assume incorrectly. It is C Phrygian.

an assumption unique to you. the individual wrote up a scale on C. Full stop.

The first line of my response was meant to be quoting the earlier post showing the musical examples

apologies, that is so wrong it didn't register to me. looks like a brain fart, they aren't that confused IDT.

may I recommend using quote marks

D2sX9ek8w3 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:46 pm Assuming this is an example of the Phrygian mode of Ab Major

What is this?

I am interested in learning.
The 5th mode of F harmonic minor.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Hi,
Thank you for demonstrating empathy and kindness.

Return to “Music Theory”