Atoms - Baby Audio - Physical Modeling Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Atoms

BABY Audio wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:46 pm
paramita123 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:26 am Feedback for Baby Audio:
- the first video is too focused on Motion Graphics. We buy plugins for sound capabilities, more sound examples would be better than old stock graphics.

- the longer video seems to have been scripted with a maximum of keywords thrown in. Wordy impressive text does not replace sound capabilities. And in that respect the few I hear do not seem that impressive nor attractive to my ears, personal opinion.
Hard pass for me, but good luck anyway.
This is a fair point. The second video is meant to be a video manual that explains every single feature and the first one is just an announcement trailer. We're currently putting together some new content that will be more focused on showing different forms of sound generation in Atoms.

Until we have it, this video by Joshua Casper actually does a good job at showing some of the different sounds you can get with Atoms just by hitting the randomizer for 4 mins straight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEsPCD405Gk
This is a bit better as we can hear the actual sounds.
But to build a great demo video I think it would be best to :
- showcase a unique sound on its own
- show how it can integrate within a beat (practical use)
- do this for 5 to 10 sounds maybe, short and varied genres
Here the problems of the video are :
- repeated chord pattern, doesn't work with all sounds
- hard to imagine some of these sounds into any production

BABY Audio wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:46 pm
paramita123 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:26 am Feedback for Baby Audio:
- the first video is too focused on Motion Graphics. We buy plugins for sound capabilities, more sound examples would be better than old stock graphics.

- the longer video seems to have been scripted with a maximum of keywords thrown in. Wordy impressive text does not replace sound capabilities. And in that respect the few I hear do not seem that impressive nor attractive to my ears, personal opinion.
Hard pass for me, but good luck anyway.
This is a fair point. The second video is meant to be a video manual that explains every single feature and the first one is just an announcement trailer. We're currently putting together some new content that will be more focused on showing different forms of sound generation in Atoms.

Until we have it, this video by Joshua Casper actually does a good job at showing some of the different sounds you can get with Atoms just by hitting the randomizer for 4 mins straight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEsPCD405Gk
Too much random.
Where can I get in there and edit?
Also, I don't know if you chose this guy, or PB did, but IMO he's one of the worse shills out there, and totally unbelievable. The Vanilla Ice of plugin salesman...
Last edited by simmo75 on Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ou_Tis wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:45 pm
kraster wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:36 pm I think it sounds great and most importantly it's easy to use.

Most PM synths I've used are a PITA to use with impenetrable UIs and arcane terminology.

Atoms reminds of Modus but it's way more pleasant to use.
The better way to do it is to have easy to use macros or simple default parameters for people who don't want to get deep into complicated sound design and more in-depth parameters for those who do (and for your preset designers, who would then map complex parameter modulations to the macros and/or to midi cc, MPE Pressure, Slide, etc.).
Not every synth needs to have all the parameters exposed.

There's a design ethos behind these kind of synths.

It's not deep under the hood Physical Modelling synth like Plasmonic, Objekt or Chromaphone. They're all shapeshifters that allow for a very broad range of sounds.

It's more like something like where the basis is physical modelling but the result is specific.

Atoms has kind of got a wonky lo-fi thing going on and has a lot of variability within that.

Lots of artefacts, dissonance and instability.

Personally I like that kind of sound and I find that Atoms is very good at that.

I already have Chromaphone and Plasmonic and they're both fantastic but I also like things that aren't as open ended like Atoms, Xhun Audio Resonheart or Modus.

kraster wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:43 am
kraster wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:36 pm I think it sounds great and most importantly it's easy to use.

Most PM synths I've used are a PITA to use with impenetrable UIs and arcane terminology.

The better way to do it is to have easy to use macros or simple default parameters for people who don't want to get deep into complicated sound design and more in-depth parameters for those who do (and for your preset designers, who would then map complex parameter modulations to the macros and/or to midi cc, MPE Pressure, Slide, etc.).

I think $99 soft synths should have there parameters exposed.
I'd say it's value is under $50 for what's on offer.

Ploki wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:14 pm I wish you could rip open the GUI to have an "expert" view below it so you can tweak and fuddle with the physical model.
The 4 options are nice, but i want to be able to f**k around with the changes of the four models manually

Physical modeling synths are hard to get right :)

It's the opposite of Outersect Modeler - that one is a fuggly cramped illogical piece of UI mess, and this one is gorgeous and well designed with simple control, but too constricted. I wish i could do more with it.
Generally agreed.

Liking the sounds from Atoms, but undecided whether the level of control would just end up frustrating me, so on the fence. Deeper control would be a huge plus.

Outersect Modeler indeed has an almost opposite issue. Lots of controls that interwork in ways that can very much frustrate, and the UI is an interesting challenge :-| (but I like the variety of sounds, so I'm keeping at it).

Physical modeling synths really are hard to get right.

This synth is capable of some great sounds, even if they are somewhat "samey." The Random button is where it's at IMO. It has a unique sound and character, and an attractive GUI.

But...the price is a little steep and that's what will ultimately prevent me from purchasing. It's just not something I need in my VST folder. I can't justify the cost for something like this so I'm gonna pass. If it was more of a no-brainer price, though, I'd buy immediately.

Chicken Drummy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:42 am This synth is capable of some great sounds, even if they are somewhat "samey." The Random button is where it's at IMO. It has a unique sound and character, and an attractive GUI.

But...the price is a little steep and that's what will ultimately prevent me from purchasing. It's just not something I need in my VST folder. I can't justify the cost for something like this so I'm gonna pass. If it was more of a no-brainer price, though, I'd buy immediately.
Well it's $59 right now, going up to $99 at some point soon. IMO anything below $65 is cheap for a soft synth, it's just we're spoiled for choice these days.

kraster wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:38 pm
v1md wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:10 pm
enCiphered wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:32 pm
  • Can we feed in audio, as someone else already asked, and use it as a resonator like Objekt?
I’m not sure how good a resonator this would be. Has anyone tried to switch off all effects, modulation, etc, and just listened to the sound source? It sounds to me as if all the cinematic stuff comes from the reverb and the waveshaping. I just wish the user had more control on the PM design parameters.
But isn't that the case with most synths.
A simple saw wave isn't going to set anyone's world on fire.
So, what I was getting at is how Atoms would behave as a resonator when you hook it up with some sidechain audio. According to the product page, Atoms doesn't use basic saw waves to make sound; the sound comes from simulating the masses and springs. So, in theory, those same simulated bits could work as resonating units when you feed them some external audio. But I'm just wondering how good that would sound when you can't pick or tweak the mass-spring setup. The dry tones on their own don't seem to pack much punch. From a resonator-design point of view, it'd be awesome to have the option to craft maybe one big network and play around with it.

Why do I feel like an Atoms Pro is coming, with more editing options, FX, and resonator types.

m-ac wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:47 am Why do I feel like an Atoms Pro is coming, with more editing options, FX, and resonator types.
perhaps, i don't know.

but, someone found an INIT preset, and i named the preset that way.
it is still a too interesting synth, for me!, to not buy it, so i bought it.

i hope some FR will be implemented, MPE glide/slide, etc.

but for this price, it provides me pleasure & results.

Best synth for ambient music according to this video (maybe don't take youtube influencers seriously.)

https://youtu.be/hGv454IroRA
"Looking for a versatile and innovative synth plugin? Look no further than Baby Audio Atoms! Our in-depth review covers everything you need to know before making your purchase. Don't miss out on this game-changing synth!"
<List your stupid gear here>

simmo75 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:51 am
kraster wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:43 am

I think $99 soft synths should have there parameters exposed.
I'd say it's value is under $50 for what's on offer.
That's what I paid for it and it's worth it to me.

egbert101 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:06 am Best synth for ambient music according to this video (maybe don't take youtube influencers seriously.)

https://youtu.be/hGv454IroRA
"Looking for a versatile and innovative synth plugin? Look no further than Baby Audio Atoms! Our in-depth review covers everything you need to know before making your purchase. Don't miss out on this game-changing synth!"
The shill has a strange idea of what ambient music is…

Peeps be selling their souls for YouTube views. Embarrassing themselves is the new currency.

enCiphered wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:50 pm Peeps be selling their souls for YouTube views. Embarrassing themselves is the new currency.
It’s so weird. And people trust these shills.
They make my skin crawl.

Return to “Instruments”