What Processing Has Been Applied To This Sample?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I’m trying to work out what processing has been applied to a sample by looking at the waveform. This is it unprocessed:
28F7C007-7DE8-4444-AFF9-30181ABEBF5C.jpeg
And this is it processed:
CC07E6AC-A8A3-4B24-B967-48FA3182D7B9.jpeg
What would cause this kind of change? Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This is really strange. Because it doesn't look like a compression or an EQ application.
It looks like someone mixed the original sample (above) with a high-frequency signal,
such as a high-pitched whistling sound.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

I'd say it's either a short delay with high feedback, or a LFO modulating the volume.
But eyes are not the right tool for this. Can we hear it please?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

from what i can hear in the picture, its very clearly ringmod.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

the top one has more blue. so I think they added some maroon. in little strips.

One thing I can hear, there’s a bit more hiss on the processed sample, maybe even a touch of white noise layered in. Would that do it? Also I can hear it’s been eq’ed in the bottom end. Boosted down there. One thing I thought, could it have been recorded in hot through a preamp? Or is it just eq and added white noise? Maybe some parallel compression?

enroe wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:55 am This is really strange. Because it doesn't look like a compression or an EQ application.
It looks like someone mixed the original sample (above) with a high-frequency signal,
such as a high-pitched whistling sound.
Totally agree on the eq and compression. Those are the roundabouts I kept exploring and abandoning. What do you think about some white noise being layered in?

Please share the audio so we can listen as well.
Or show the waveform zoomed in 20x more.
Plus something on the x-axis giving an idea of the time could help.
I see some periodical spikes (transients)
Last edited by BertKoor on Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

BertKoor wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:16 am I'd say it's either a short delay with high feedback, or a LFO modulating the volume.
But eyes are not the right tool for this. Can we hear it please?
LFO sounds a good candidate. Like a vinyl simulation plugin effect maybe?

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:06 am from what i can hear in the picture, its very clearly ringmod.
I’ll give that a try. You think that’s really what it is? Or maybe like an SP1200 lowered sample rate?

phase rotation using allpass filters will dramatically change the waveform. as the transients look completely different in some places and don't even line up...but it sounds almost the same, I'd think about that.

but seriously, not posting the audio or at least describing the perceived difference so that people can make an educated guess is a bit of a dick move.

gaggle of hermits wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:23 am phase rotation using allpass filters will dramatically change the waveform. as the transients look completely different in some places and don't even line up...but it sounds almost the same, I'd think about that.

but seriously, not posting the audio or at least describing the perceived difference so that people can make an educated guess is a bit of a dick move.
That’s an interesting idea. It’s not a process I’m familiar with, so I’ll look into it. The two samples do sound very similar with just a slight boost around 80hz in the low end, as well as some hiss. So it might be a possibility. I’m not comfortable with the copyright implications of posting the audio, as it also reveals the sample source of a successful record.

Geometrid wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:55 am some hiss
Any chance there was an analogue (vinyl, cassette tape) stage somewhere?
Geometrid wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:55 am I’m not comfortable with the copyright implications of posting the audio
This absolutely falls under "fair use" (although ianal).
Geometrid wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:55 am as it also reveals the sample source of a successful record.
As if that still is a secret? First check this site then:
https://www.whosampled.com

BertKoor wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:06 pm
Geometrid wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:55 am some hiss
Any chance there was an analogue (vinyl, cassette tape) stage somewhere?
That’s a definite possibility, and is something I’d wondered about. Would that make a change like that to the waveform? I’m not someone who works visually, so I really just wondered if my original question would be obvious to someone who does, since I’d exhausted every avenue I could try with my ears.

As I told you earlier, I'll tell you again but right in the face.
The bottom wav has a jaggedness which looks periodical. Its amplitude goes up & down, the top wav is rather smooth.
Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 14.52.41.png
Could be a stereo ping-pong delay, but it's not zoomed in enough to tell.

And.... WE CANNOT HEAR IT !!!!one!!
gaggle of hermits wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:23 am [...] dick move.
+1 :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Production Techniques”