Should I partition my SSD (C:)???

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dellboy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:34 pm The system disk partition can be kept small,lets suggest 256GB, then the rest of the disk can be partitioned up into as many disks, as you wish. The main advantage of doing it this way,is that the system disk (256GB) can be imaged and restored very quickly if ever it becomes corrupted,without affecting the other disks.
Seconded

Just one quick tip tho.

If you are willing to add new storage (no matter whether it is SSD or HDD) to your system and re-install OS, make sure to install OS first, then install your new storage. Otherwise, it will install both Windows boot partition and recovery partition to that new storage.

I personally don't create additional partitions any more. My system already has a bunch of SSD's in addition to the system drive, so the last thing I need are even more drive letters.

Also, a I only have a 1 TB NVMe system SSD, which isn't a lot of data to back up these days. I create an incremental image of the C drive automatically every evening, and I don't even notice it's running.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:30 am I personally don't create additional partitions any more. My system already has a bunch of SSD's in addition to the system drive, so the last thing I need are even more drive letters.

Also, a I only have a 1 TB NVMe system SSD, which isn't a lot of data to back up these days. I create an incremental image of the C drive automatically every evening, and I don't even notice it's running.
I feel pretty much the same way - with the proliferation of SSD's, there's little incentive to partition them. Anything that 'I' myself don't want on the boot drive but prefers to be located there get's a junction link to somewhere else and that's that. Simple.

I would buy and install a second SSD before considering partitioning any drive. Save your projects on the second drive in case your system tanks.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”