Wish someone would make a drum plug-in as good as Geist 2.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Triaz is the new Geist (with a better sound library IMO), I know its just released (at £70!) but check out the devs roadmap- this is the one to get behind...
As promised here is a rough roadmap of the improvements and features for Triaz we plan to work on over the coming weeks / months:

Roughly 2 weeks
A hot fix update for any pressing issues or bug reports. There is likely also room to add a couple of the enhancements suggested from user reports within this update.

Roughly 8-12 weeks
Smart sequencer randomization screen. This will be very powerful and include smart randomization of individual sequencer lanes and entire sequence patterns, and taking cues from the Drum Randomizer will also include options for locking lanes from randomization, randomizing FX lanes, control/s for introducing the probability of non musical notes or intensity.

This update will possibly coincide with the launch of a Free Player version of Triaz, which is designed purely to load expansions that we will sell, alongside many of the other features listed below at the bottom of this post.

Roughly 6 months
AI / ML based bulk sample Import option where users can automatically link in, sort and tag all their samples with AI from different locations. We would train this model for character tagging based on our huge hand tagged library of drum sounds.

Other Features

We are not sure exactly which update these will land in, but during this timeline we'd also like to add the following features / improvements:

• Ability / option to add full step velocity steps in sequencer with one click.
• Export page enhancements with more control over exporting stuff wet vs dry
• Single click one shot drum export (dry and wet)
• Phase invert button on drum layers
• More filter modes
• Lock kit whilst changing patterns
• Sample offset per layer
• XY Pad slop modulation
• More user definable options such as allowing drums to audibly be triggered using drum tabs when sequencer is running
• More DAW automation lanes and MIDI CC learn.

Expansions
We are also already working on quite a few expansions and plan to release these regularly once we get these rolling. An expansion pack will contain presets, patterns, new sounds, and perfect tagging and show up automatically just like the factory presets in their own section under the factory library. We are planning to build a cloud installer meaning you will just enter a serial or code and the expansion will automatically download into the correct place in Triaz and be ready to use out of the box.

Some expansions we are working on (none of these are the final names), but just how we are describing them internally:

1. World Percussion - This is an enormous collection of beautifully recorded world percussion covering African, Latin, Brazilian, Indian, Asian etc percussion instruments, which has been over a year in the making. It will likely include somewhere between 7,000-10,000 sounds and be perfectly tagged with presets across many styles for Triaz.

2. Vibey Acoustic Drums - This is an insane collection of aesthetically designed acoustic drums for modern electronic genres. We've been working on this for 2 years, creatively recording drums at many of the best studios around the world, including Bryan Adam's Warehouse Studio in Vancouver, Canada and many others. This will include around 10,000 sounds and is a totally epic project :D

3. Playground Drums - Maybe some of you own our Beat Lab sample pack that we launched as limited time deal during Black Friday in 2022. This takes the same idea but expands upon it. None the same samples are included (It's al brand new content). The idea here was recording and processing our favorite sounds from over 30 new and modern drum machines, and then taking taking these recordings and processing them in several unique ways, such as recording them back through a huge PA system into some of the best drum rooms in the world and picking the signal back up through expensive vintage mix configurations, recording them to tape, old cassette tapes, through lofi gear and other things. It's a really creative and unique collection and again will have tons of presets and perfect tagging directly in Triaz.

4. Genre based expansions - we have many of these planned and these will eventually come out on a regular basis, covering different gernes, styles, quirky experimental stuff, modular synth drums etc,.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:29 pm Triaz is the new Geist (with a better sound library IMO), I know its just released (at £70!) but check out the devs roadmap- this is the one to get behind...
Triaz is a very nice plugin...

But a drum machine which cannot slice loops cannot be "the new Geist"! 8)

Triaz is currently the best drum sequencer vst. They are aware of limitations to keep the whole flow intuitive. If loop slicing is in need, you can do that with countless other tools and drop the fragments into Triaz.

Atlas 2 and ADSR drum machines are fine, but neither have the layering, effects, mixing, and sequencer of Geist 2. I agree the new plugin version of Triaz plugin is approaching it.

TAL-Drum is pretty good, but the loop slicer has some detection issues.

Nobody mentioned Groove Agent.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Triaz is neat, tho personally I don't like having effects built into the plugin since I prefer to use my own effects every time. While I get that it's not really direct competition, microtonic remains the drum plugin to beat for me after all these years.

Trancit wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:25 pm
SLiC wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:29 pm Triaz is the new Geist (with a better sound library IMO), I know its just released (at £70!) but check out the devs roadmap- this is the one to get behind...
Triaz is a very nice plugin...

But a drum machine which cannot slice loops cannot be "the new Geist"! 8)
It also doesn't sample, which is super useful in Geist. Doesn't do multi-samples either.

Speedrum v2 and it's sequencer seems to be heading in the 'replaces Geist' bracket for me.

Sadly I have to agree with what many people are saying here in the comments. Having tested many of those "new" drum machine vsts and their layout, sampling and sequencing abilities (like algonaut atlas 2, adsr drum machine, speedrum, xfer nerve, xln xo, rob papen punch2,wa triaz, and many others) I can't help but always feeling and thinking with myself like "why - with all development we are witnessing in tech nowdays - there's no new drum machine software capable of doing at least 40% of what Geist 2 did or still does, but without many bugs?"

At least 50% of its sampling and 90% of its sequencing abilities? It would be too much to ask? Too complex to code?
Why can't old stuff (or part of it/them) collaborate with other company and build a similar product from the ground similar in abilities/power like Geist 2? Preferably different enough (to avoid legal issues), but retaining the core, the basics of what made Geist that incredible sampler/drum machine/sequencer, with a more updated GUI and better layout, and other improvements of course, but in a more cpu friendly code? Can someone answer this to me? Is it really that hard? Legal issues maybe/copyright infringements? It is too complicated to code maybe? Maybe we are asking too much in a drum machine vst and it's impossible to come out with something so close to Geist functionalities and less buggy? (Maybe that's why FXpansion gave up☹️)

I agree with many saying that Wave Alchemy is trying to come close with Triaz... but yeah... not the same thing.. and they still have a long way.. maybe not 😅, but actually I'm liking what I'm seeing now... I hope that Triaz can really evolve and became something close, maybe the closest to Geist in the future. Soundwise I always enjoyed Wave Alchemy sample/kits qualities. Maybe there's still hope🤗

On reflection:

My DAW can do loop slicing to pads v easily

Hope WA keep their own approach with Triaz (hint: they will) rather than attempting to recreate G2 wholesale (hint:they won’t). If I’m honest, G2 was loaded with features but shit to use. Triaz is a breeze.

YMMV
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Hope everyone here is aware of the great "Graphite" Skin for Geist2 :?:

The Geist GUI, especially v1, has always been too bright for me, this one's so much better:

Graphite-shot.png
You can find it on the ROLI support forum here

I personally didn't really like the blue, so I modified it a bit:

Gravity-shot.png

You can find the modded version on gumroad here

peace
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NikkiA wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:40 pm Speedrum v2 and it's sequencer seems to be heading in the 'replaces Geist' bracket for me.
Most definitely not imo. It can't even go below 16 steps from the looks of it.

replicant X wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:27 am Now, Guitar Center sells MPC Studio 2 for $199. I think that's the best option since it not only comes with the controller but also the full version of the MPC software 2.

MPC has the ability to assign and control velocity, filter, etc. to these 16 pads, and a touch slider is useful for writing automation for various effects.

Also, the MPC file format is widely used by various converters, and it will continue to exist.
This is probably closer to other options I see recommended here.

The thing about a "Geist Replacement" is that Geist did so much.
  • Loop chopping
  • Sampling
  • Sample editing / FX
  • Patterns
  • Banks
  • Songs
  • Mixing with lots of FX
A lot of the things I see mentioned as Geist replacements just kind of do the usual "it's a drum sampler with some patterns and FX" thing. But Geist was like a software MPC or software only Maschine. Triaz is cool and all, but it's not doing everything Geist did for a while. Neither is XO or Atlas. They're more geared to the Drum Mahcine aspects of Geist with some sequencing added in, whereas Geist was more of a full blown workstation/DAW from the ground up.

That's my take on it anyway.

Geist 2 probably holds the record for the "deepest abanondoned audio plugin". I can't imagine how many lines of code and total hours went into that plugin. It's shocking, in a bad way, how it's been allowed to flounder.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:18 pm
replicant X wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:27 am Now, Guitar Center sells MPC Studio 2 for $199. I think that's the best option since it not only comes with the controller but also the full version of the MPC software 2.

MPC has the ability to assign and control velocity, filter, etc. to these 16 pads, and a touch slider is useful for writing automation for various effects.

Also, the MPC file format is widely used by various converters, and it will continue to exist.
This is probably closer to other options I see recommended here.

The thing about a "Geist Replacement" is that Geist did so much.
  • Loop chopping
  • Sampling
  • Sample editing / FX
  • Patterns
  • Banks
  • Songs
  • Mixing with lots of FX
A lot of the things I see mentioned as Geist replacements just kind of do the usual "it's a drum sampler with some patterns and FX" thing. But Geist was like a software MPC or software only Maschine. Triaz is cool and all, but it's not doing everything Geist did for a while. Neither is XO or Atlas. They're more geared to the Drum Mahcine aspects of Geist with some sequencing added in, whereas Geist was more of a full blown workstation/DAW from the ground up.

That's my take on it anyway.
Yeah... a software MPC is a good Geist description.

I used Geist all the time for sampling softsynths and making my own drum/percussion kits. It worked so well. The sampling was fast and efficient. Geist also sounded great. It felt effortless to make my kits gel together and sound as good as commercial kits.

For making my own kits from my soft-synth presets and having them sound great, nothing on the market today comes close.

It should be a crime that Geist was abandoned!

deepspacevision wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:07 am Hope everyone here is aware of the great "Graphite" Skin for Geist2 :?:

The Geist GUI, especially v1, has always been too bright for me, this one's so much better:

I personally didn't really like the blue, so I modified it a bit:
Whoa, that looks great! Thanks for sharing :)
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

Return to “Instruments”