Wish someone would make a drum plug-in as good as Geist 2.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It’s been so long since Geist 2 came out, but nothing touches it. People complain about the GUI, and it’s also buggy at times. But, as far as functionality goes, it’s untouchable.

If you doubt me, go check out the modulation system. It’s strange because it seems like a pretty obvious choice to do it this way, but nobody’s done it. Also, the layering functionality is executed perfectly. And the macros. I have battery which is more reliable, but it doesn’t even come close to Geist in these regards.

Something simple like being able to layer a bunch of samples and precisely offset a start delay that is also modulated by a random amount, can have really fantastically organic results. Combine that with how easy it is to route velocity to a bunch of parameters, and you really have something special.

I feel like TAL drum is coming close, but there are some things it lacks or does in a slightly more awkward way. It’s a terrible shame thar Roli put this plug-in to bed. I will never forgive them or purchase anything from them lol.

If Geist didn’t crash occasionally and have some annoying stuff that should be addressed, I wouldn’t even care.

So, somebody should just shamelessly copy Geist IMO. That is all.

Atlas > geist
aliasing plugin owner
:?

I agree with the OP. It's shocking that nothing out there really touches Geist. The only thing is maybe Maschine with the hardware? MPC's?

Geist did slicing, groove rebuilding, sampling, deep-dive editing, had tons of FX, had tons of patterns you could combine into songs and key trigger for live performance, I'm pretty sure it allowed for quick/easy polyrhythms. Atlas and XO don't scratch the surface of what Geist did (even if they have better sample browsing). You could write entire albums with Geist, a vocalist, and nothing else if you were so inclined. It was DEEP.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:39 pm I agree with the OP. It's shocking that nothing out there really touches Geist. The only thing is maybe Maschine with the hardware? MPC's?

Geist did slicing, groove rebuilding, sampling, deep-dive editing, had tons of FX, had tons of patterns you could combine into songs and key trigger for live performance, I'm pretty sure it allowed for quick/easy polyrhythms. Atlas and XO don't scratch the surface of what Geist did (even if they have better sample browsing). You could write entire albums with Geist, a vocalist, and nothing else if you were so inclined. It was DEEP.
Geist also sounded really good. When I sampled my own kits, they always sounded good and gelled together well.

F**king Roli! Killed a great product.

Now someone please clone it. :)

yeah Geist still kills

i like Atlas 2 and ADSR drum machine

Watch this Geist 2 tutorial all the way through without yawning.

https://youtu.be/-P66RO7F09E
<List your stupid gear here>

woa.. Wasn't expecting anyone to actually back me up on this.. glad to see I'm not crazy over here.

I will check out atlas for sure.

And that is the worst ASMR video I've ever seen.

emef wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:26 pm yeah Geist still kills

i like Atlas 2 and ADSR drum machine
I haven't tried Atlas, but the ADSR drum machine is really good (looking forward to V2). Geist is still still the best even though I no longer use it after it died.

Geist/guru was unbeatable. Atlas is not the same. Still waiting for the 'release' of Nerve 2.

Geist was one of the best piece of audio plugins. Nothing comes close to it. Atlas is not even the same category in terms of the basic principles of the plugin. I also agree it sounded f**king amazing.
Every time this topic comes up I get angry 😁 It is just so frustrating. If anyone has any trickery around making this work on apple silicon…

Who knows… maybe NI will release Battery 5 with a built in step sequencer lol

Grist was fabulous.

(Edit: Geist!!)

The new standalone Wave Alchemy Triaz looks brilliant too.
Last edited by revvy on Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:07 am Grist was fabulous
Typo I think, but that's a good name for a clone.

I always kinda thought Nerve was going to jump full-square into the Geist niche, because Geist's predecessor Guru was partially a Steve Duda thing anyway, but it never quite did it appears.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I have the (I think it's German) version of a very old CM (or FM) disc that has Geist 2 on it. Used it all the time.

Geist 1 was so powerful in so many ways. I especially appreciated the browser to quickly load my drum samples. All the newer drum sequencer are clumsy in that regard.
Last edited by Raddler1 on Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”