Mirror - New 8-voice Synth from Moog!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pdxindy wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:52 am
Old Norse wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:30 pm If it's "based on the Matriarch architecture", that means 8 oscillators into 1 filter.
8 voice synth with 2 osc's per voice is 16 oscillators... and going into 8 filters.
I'm a bit confused by that, if it's 2 Osc per voice etc. it's more or less just like the Moog One.
Also how is it like the matriarch if there aren't patch cables, and it's not paraphonic? My guess is 4 voice, paraphonic for 8, that wouldl keep the price down.

machinesworking wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:44 am
pdxindy wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:52 am 8 voice synth with 2 osc's per voice is 16 oscillators... and going into 8 filters.
I'm a bit confused by that, if it's 2 Osc per voice etc. it's more or less just like the Moog One.
Also how is it like the matriarch if there aren't patch cables, and it's not paraphonic?
The Moog One is 3 Osc's per voice.

Assuming it is a poly based on the Grandmother/Matriarch, that means it is likely using the same Osc's, filter and mixer designs... not that it is a semi-modular mono-synth

pdxindy wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:00 am The Moog One is 3 Osc's per voice.

Assuming it is a poly based on the Grandmother/Matriarch, that means it is likely using the same Osc's, filter and mixer designs... not that it is a semi-modular mono-synth
Right but the Matriarch is a 4 note paraphonic synth, 4 oscs in either 1 2 or 4 voice mode, but it's definitely just 4 oscilators, in 3 different configurations, as opposed to the Moog One which is 8 voice, 3 osc, 24 total oscillators. There's even a 16 voice model.

All I'm saying is we will be very lucky if it's 2 osc per voice and 8 voices, considering they're comparing it to the Matriarch. :shrug:

I'm guessing two Matriarchs in one box, as reflected (!) in the name Mirror.

Let's hope it's not taken directly from Moog One.
Moog One has major intonation issues (not talking about natural analog drift).
No other synth I've owned has had that issue (including Moog Model D and Matriarch).
To combat the intonation issue, Moog One has an "Auto-Tune" like feature that slides notes into proper intonation.
If you listen carefully, you can actually hear some notes sliding into pitch.
Flawed design from the start.

I've heard the Mirror is at least partly based on the Matriarch.
I'd be surprised if Mirror is $5k... but that seems to be the "super synth" bar.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Still think the Polysource concept would be just as good at a fraction of the price. Vintage polyphonic sounds plus presets.
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:47 pm Still think the Polysource concept would be just as good at a fraction of the price. Vintage polyphonic sounds plus presets.
Shhh, you weren't supposed to say that out loud in this thread.

Ok, yeah, totally, I'm way going to be in to the superior build quality of the Moog with it's way better build quality and history and stuff.

machinesworking wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:05 am
pdxindy wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:00 am The Moog One is 3 Osc's per voice.

Right but the Matriarch is a 4 note paraphonic synth, 4 oscs in either 1 2 or 4 voice mode, but it's definitely just 4 oscilators, in 3 different configurations, as opposed to the Moog One which is 8 voice, 3 osc, 24 total oscillators. There's even a 16 voice model.

All I'm saying is we will be very lucky if it's 2 osc per voice and 8 voices, considering they're comparing it to the Matriarch. :shrug:
Think of it like Arturia. First there was the MatrixBrute which is a mono synth. Then they released the PolyBrute which is a 6 voice poly based on the architecture of the MatrixBrute.

Moog-2024-Super-Bowl-Mirror copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I mean, it looks gorgeous even with the white side panels.

ghettosynth wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:22 pm
egbert101 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:47 pm Still think the Polysource concept would be just as good at a fraction of the price. Vintage polyphonic sounds plus presets.
Shhh, you weren't supposed to say that out loud in this thread.

Ok, yeah, totally, I'm way going to be in to the superior build quality of the Moog with it's way better build quality and history and stuff.
I would not say that they have superior build quality based on their latest offering from 2016 to now that have had lots of quality issues, bugs and other problems.

https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/c ... rrible_qc/
https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/c ... _qc_watch/
https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/c ... ty_issues/
https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/c ... stionable/
https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=249247
https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=204241

I could make that list even bigger but these are enough for now ;)

The new Moog does look interesting so i am looking forward to get more info on it and the price :tu:
Last edited by D-Fusion on Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

egbert101 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:55 pm I mean, it looks gorgeous even with the white side panels.
I love the UI's from Moog. Big knobs, plenty of space for me means effortless muscle memory.

I desperately want @pdxindy to be right and me to be wrong, i.e. fully polyphonic filters and VCAs. Though it will drive the price up, even if it's being assembled in Asia.

Anyone have any idea what those little black triangles are sticking out? Is that the warp drive?

I love how some people are calling this a "leak" when it was the Super Bowl halftime show plus Andrew Huang. :hihi: And Niagara Falls is just a little trickle...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”