Can Spire do smth that Serum cant?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,
is there any reason to buy Spire this day and age when you already own Serum?

Thank you.
Last edited by Tendou on Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tendou wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:19 pm Hello,
is there any reason to by Spire this day and age when you already own Serum?
If you're completely indifferent to sound, then, no.

Tendou wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:19 pm Hello,
is there any reason to by Spire this day and age when you already own Serum?

Thank you.
Spire is one of the best sounding synth I own. Presets are excellent. Many FM, AM, audiorate modulations available.
Serum is great too but I don't think they have the same sounds palette at all. Some of their filters are targeting the same emulation but in practice they sound very distincts and their workflow are different and brings you in different directions.

Serum has a better UI with better visual feedback. Spire has better sounding presets (for me) and even more character.

It is part of the synths I never ever regretted buying.

I did the demo of both and bought Hive 2 instead (and never bothered getting the others).

The key is: use the demos and pick the one(s) you personally like best.

I don't have serum but I have spire and it sounds great. The nice UI and large knobs are great to work with.. Try and decide.

If you want a good “seat back in the mix” go for it.
Great presets as well.

Serum is a beast but it will allow Spire to live in its own space :hihi:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Spire sounds nice but is super buggy

aMUSEd wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:38 pm Spire sounds nice but is super buggy
?

Frankly, it IS pretty buggy. Many of the recent updates broke something.

And, the VST3 version still has no MIDI learn.

Great synth, but, they seriously need do some beta testing.

chk071 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:48 pm Frankly, it IS pretty buggy. Many of the recent updates broke something.

Well I have some vst crashing on me. Or even managing to crash the Bitiwig audioengine like stutteredit from izotope. Spire isn't. It plays what I ask and never crash. That doesn't mean it can't have bugs, but "super buggy", no, I don't think so.

Spire plain and simply has the best sounding per voice distortion of a plugin with the most possibilities.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Jac459 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:24 am
chk071 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:48 pm Frankly, it IS pretty buggy. Many of the recent updates broke something.

Well I have some vst crashing on me. Or even managing to crash the Bitiwig audioengine like stutteredit from izotope. Spire isn't. It plays what I ask and never crash. That doesn't mean it can't have bugs, but "super buggy", no, I don't think so.
Or….
You are “super lucky” :tu:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

liquidsound wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:31 am
Jac459 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:24 am

Or….
You are “super lucky” :tu:
That's very possible because I don't use it for deep sound design like avenger or "expression stuffs" like phase plant. It is mainly for lush pads, plucks, Hoover, leads...
So not really going into the dark (maybe buggy) corner

Curious what bugs you've encountered? I've been using it for only a month or so and only really scratching the surface but haven't noticed anything untoward yet. I guess it would be good to know what to look out for.

As to midi learn, I've been able to assign a controller to each of the 4 macros but haven't tried to do so with any other parameters. Is this not possible?

Crashes mainly, particularly with the VST3, it's just not very stable

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”