Zebralette 3 Wavetable Engine Discussion

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Let's talk about the wavetable engine and the wavetable morphing features here.

If you want to discuss the spline editor tools please jump to the Spline Editor Thread.
Here we want to talk more about the sound and any features/parameters related to the wavetable renderer mode.
This also includes topics like the morph transition types and wavetable export.

If you find actual bugs, please report them in the Bug Report Thread.
If you want to watch the overview video or need to look something up in the user guide, you can find these resources in the Zebralette 3 Announcement Thread.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

Here are some suggestions, copied it from the main thread, too:

- What about Hives "flow" phase mode?
- Would love to see a knob for drift instead a on/off button
- I know this is not part of your concept, but what about a detune curve parameter? I think it highly improves unison and makes it possible to control the interferences in a more detailed way.

Hi,
At first use, I can't figure out why the morph knob use doesn't give the same effect when manually moved vs when triggered by, say, cc1.

Import of Hive-Wavetables doesn't work !

Only very little Hive-Tables with up to 10 frames are loaded an this takes very long time.
All others Wavetables are freezing the plugin and crashing the DAW.
Therefore to me this vsti is useless because I only wanted to use it for working with Hive (or Serum ) Wavetables.
Beside this the sound is very digital, which I don't like.

MorpherX wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:48 pm Import of Hive-Wavetables doesn't work !

Only very little Hive-Tables with up to 10 frames are loaded an this takes very long time.
Importing Hive or Serum wavetables is not a feature of Zebralette 3...

There is a function which can convert wav files to spline curves, but that is an approximation and should not be expected to sound the same. The spine editor is fundamentally different than other wavetable osc's
MorpherX wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:48 pm Therefore to me this vsti is useless because I only wanted to use it for working with Hive (or Serum ) Wavetables.
Yes, if you only wanted it to use Hive or Serum wavetables, then yes, it is indeed useless to you.

robisme wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:15 pm Hi,
At first use, I can't figure out why the morph knob use doesn't give the same effect when manually moved vs when triggered by, say, cc1.
Remember to turn up the modulation amount (that little white circle next to the knob). BTW I'm assuming you mean "modulated", not "triggered".

MorpherX wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:48 pm Import of Hive-Wavetables doesn't work !
It's planned (but not yet implemented, thus not 100% confirmed) for Zebra 3, not for Zebralette.

The other way around works quite well though. You can export wavetables made in Zebralette to Hive (or Serum).

[deleted]

Moved this to spectral FX..... Oops
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Urs wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:07 pm
It's planned (but not yet implemented, thus not 100% confirmed) for Zebra 3, not for Zebralette.

The other way around works quite well though. You can export wavetables made in Zebralette to Hive (or Serum).
I've not had a chance to install Zebralette yet. So I've not had a chance to try it out yet and expect to be pretty busy for the next few days, so I won't get a chance to fully test things for a while, but how well does it work with single cycle waves? It's just that I've just bought a huge load of single cycles and wavetables, tens of thousands, from a guy who wrote a program that created them with a number of mathematical algorithms using AI. I've got other tools I can customise them with, so it's not imperative, but being able able to manipulate those and the numerous other single cycles I've created using Zebralette would be pretty cool. Whatever the answer, it looks like a great tool for creating wavetables none the less. Thanks.
Musicmaker: "I'm playing all the right notes, but not neccesarily in the right order" Eric Morecame : Comedy Bhoddisatva

Single cycles worked very well last time I checked. It probably depends a bit on their complexity, and during import (in the enlarged editor) you can set the number of points for the vectorised result etc.

for me a conversion concept of wavetable files in a easy manner would be great. I did some experimenting with audacity raw file import with succes. And there is converting with moss app witch i dit not try yet. And synthesis technologie wave edit.

All these containers, riff's can there be something in zebralette 3 that can handle .wt / .wtrs /.wav / and so on ;)
More acces to metadata.

MorpherX wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:48 pm Therefore to me this vsti is useless because I only wanted to use it for working with Hive (or Serum ) Wavetables.
Beside this the sound is very digital, which I don't like.
Get a analog filter outside your daw.
I use the Elektron Analog heat 2.

The ability to split a wavetable into two or more tables as found in Hive would be good. If not in ZL3, hopefully it'll make it to Zebra3?

hakey wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:53 am The ability to split a wavetable into two or more tables as found in Hive would be good. If not in ZL3, hopefully it'll make it to Zebra3?
That won't work as well as it does in Hive. A major part of the CPU usage in Zebralette is the dynamic rendering of the morphed curves into a wavetable. In order to crossfade between two different positions on the Curve Set, this would have to be done twice. CPU would pretty much double for this (that's without OscFX and the Additive Renderer).

Furthermore, in Hive using .uhm or .wav, one can clearly split the number wavetable frames to the desired number of splits: E.g. 3 x 30 frames to do 30 frames with 3 regions to blend through. This won't be easily "mathed out" in Zebralette 3 and Zebra 3 as the whole thing will always go from 0 to 100, and even I wouldn't know where to exactly position any two curves that make the end of one bit and the start of the next. And then also the nice consistency of how Curve Morph corresponds to the position of the Curve on their "timeline" would break as well.

Therefore, at this point, I don't really see it happening.

The one thing that could happen, possibly, is something like "Dual Wave" OscFX that, instead of geometrically placing two curves next to each other, could dynamically blend/crossfade between the current curve and an independently chosen Curve Morph position.

Return to “u-he”