Zebralette 3 Bug Reports

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This will be the main bug reporting thread for the Zebralette 3 beta. Let's collect all the quirks, bugs, GUI glitches and crashes here.

If you ask yourself "is this a bug or a feature", if you hear yourself mumbling "WTF just happened" or if you think you're going crazy, this is the right place to come to (unless you're actually crazy, then please try to get some help from a professional).

By using the Zebralette beta, you are entering Area 51 and a half, where the unexpected is expected to happen, where glitches will play tricks on your mind, and crashes will happen right at the moment you think "oh, I better save this little gem before it cras... ah shit".

Before reporting an issue, please have a quick look at the known issues at the bottom of this post to determine if it's already been reported before.

We'll try to keep the list up-to-date, adding any newly reported and confirmed issues.
If you're unsure, just post it here, better to have multiple reports of the same issue than not having a problem reported at all.
If you want to report a problem, please always include the following details:

* operating system (exact version number): e.g. macOS Sonoma 14.2.1 (intel Mac, Rosetta2 or native Silicon Mac), Windows 11, Linux Ubuntu 23.04
* host application (DAW): e.g. Bitwig 5.1.2, Reaper 7.05, ...
* plugin format and revision number (it's printed directly beneath the Zebralette logo): CLAP, VST3, AU, AAX, REV 15573
* sample rate and audio buffer size (you will most likely find those details in your DAW's preferences or your audio interface settings): e.g. 44.1kHz, 96kHz, buffer 256 samples

If you're on Linux, please mention which Linux distribution and desktop environment you are using.
If you are on Mac, please mention if it's an intel powered Mac or an Apple Silicon, and if you are running your host (DAW) in native Silicon or Rosetta2 mode.

If you are unsure about any of the above fields, just leave them empty.

Then give us a brief, but detailed description of the issue:

* What exactly happened (and if not obvious, what did you expect to happen)?
* Can you reproduce the issue, if so, how exactly, which steps do you need to take?
* If not, what do you remember about the moments before the problem occurred?

If there is a crash or another reproducible problem, please create a log file by following these steps:

* quit your host application (DAW)
* create a new folder on your desktop, name it u-he-log
* start your host, load the plugin, and reproduce the issue
* quit your host, zip the u-he-log folder immediately

If your operating system displays a crash report, please add it as well. Don't just copy a few lines or make a screenshot, copy the whole text and paste into a .txt or .rtf file.
It's possible that the existence of the log file might increase the CPU load a bit, so once you sent us the log, you can delete the folder.

If you want to attach some files (log files, crash reports, screenshots, videos, audio examples, presets, project files, ...), either upload them to a service like WeTransfer, and post the link here, or send us an email to support at u-he dot com.
Some important issues and details you should be aware of:

CPU load:
Many parts are not fully optimized yet, certain features might use more CPU now than in the final release version. Thus some presets might currently be CPU hogs that can overload even a modern CPU.

IMPORTANT WARNING about volume levels:

Zebralette's audio engine is very flexible and feature rich with few restrictions. This also means it can suddenly get very quiet or very loud at times, especially when using Osc Source "Curve Spectrum" in combination with oscillator effects.
Protect your ears and your gear by always adding a limiter to either the Zebralette track or the master track.

Windows GUI glitches:

We tried to fix them, but it requires some more time to get rid of all the small graphics glitches.
You might find some horizontal lines drawn over certain areas, like the keyboard or the mod matrix.
If you find yourself thinking "I can't work that way", try switching to another GUI size, this will usually eliminate those glitches.

Pro Tools scanning issues on Windows:

We have an ongoing problem with the Pro Tools scanning of the AAX plugin on Windows.
If Pro Tools crashes or displays an error message during the plugin scan at startup, please do the following:

* Quit Pro Tools
* Create the u-he-log folder on your desktop, as described above
* Start Pro Tools, wait until it crashes or displays the error message
* Zip the u-he-log folder immediately and send it back to us, either posting the file here, or by sending a mail to support

You can then try to uninstall and reinstall Zebralette 3, this often helps to get Pro Tools to scan the plugin correctly (yes, sounds weird, we don't know why, neither does Avid).
If this doesn't help, then you might have to uninstall the beta for the time being.
Or just delete the AAX plugin and use the plugin in another host.
Or use something like Blue Cat Audio's Patchwork to load the VST3 version inside Pro Tools.
Here's a pretty complete list of known issues. We'll try to keep it up-to-date:

* Many parts are not fully CPU optimized yet = currently higher CPU load than in final release
* Some Osc FX can produce excessive volume if Osc Source is set to Curve Spectrum
* GUI glitches on Windows (e.g. lines drawn on keyboard)
* Some minor quirks when using the Sinomatic function
* The Simplify function needs to be improved, it currently removes to few handles at once
* The morph vector handles are always showing up, but should only be available when the "Closest" morph types are selected
* There can sometimes be an audible jump in sound at min/max morph values when using the "Closest" morph types
* Guide curves sometimes disappear when you click on them, just reload the plugin to fix it
* The Handlerotate function can cause graphics glitches in the drawn waveform
* Undo/Redo: not all actions might be undoable
* Undo/Redo: can cause weird glitches in the spline editor, don't rely on it
* MSEG can cause CPU spikes as long as GUI is opened
* MSEG plot graph is not updating when switching presets or unassigning the MSEG modulation
* MSEG spline editor: Tool tips are currently unreadable (they look ok in the Osc spline editor)
* MSEG spline editor: The first guide curve currently shows loop handles
* MSEG spline editor: Doesn't immediately show all tools, needs mouse click into the tools palette to populate it with all items
* Spline editor: Copy/paste not doing anything if a single point is selected on the curve
* Spline editor: Paint tool icon switches to arrow if used multiple times without pause
* Spline editor: Creating too many points (e.g. via multiply) can lead to a crash
* Spline editor: Some tools (add, double, half, expand, move) won't react until you first click inside the editor
* Spline editor: CurveToGuide max/min/scale options not working yet (they work in GuideToCurve mode)
* Parameters and labels might get renamed or sorted differently
* One wavetable snapshot missing (15 instead of 16 in Osc editor, 7 instead of 8 in MSEG editor)
* AAX: dynamic switching of mouse cursor icon is buggy on Windows
* CLAP polyphonic parameter modulation not implemented yet
* CLAP note expression support not implemented yet
* SVG graphics not influenced by Gamma preference
* MPE support not implemented yet

Known Issues reported during beta and confirmed by u-he:

* Stuck notes when switching presets while holding sustain pedal
* Random crashes, e.g. when loading/unloading plugin, opening/closing GUI or loading presets
* Crash when loading the init preset after dropping a preset onto main data display
* Possible crash when using the copy and copy SVG commands
* Possible DC offset issue in certain circumstances
* Importing very large wave files can lead to freeze or crash of host
* Keyboard shortcut implementation is work in progress, many won't work on Windows atm
* Linux version does not support drag&drop, so loading .wav files is currently unsupported there
* Spectral decay sound difference with identical curve and guide
* Crash when switching from additive to wavetable renderer while playing notes

And finally, please check the system requirements before installing the beta:

* intel or Apple Silicon Mac with OS X 10.10 or newer (10.11 or newer for Pro Tools)
* Windows 7 or newer
* Ubuntu based Linux with glibc version 2.28 or newer (other Linux distributions might work, but there is no guarantee)
* a 64-bit host that supports either CLAP, AUv2, VST3 or AAX (32-bit is not supported)

There will be no VST2 version, as we agreed to the latest VST3 contract which prohibits the inclusion of VST2 versions. If you rely on VST2, please contact Steinberg.

That's it, happy bug hunting, everyone.

PS: Please don't get scared or discouraged from posting bugs or questions by all these recommendations and guidelines. If you don't know or don't remember some of the details, just post what you got, that's ok.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

DAW sometime crashes when opened. FL Studio lastest, Win 10, VST3 15573, 48khz/512
ps : DAW just froze and not responded when switching presets with the arrows, not often tho.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Very minor but I’m using it via Logic Pro and I noticed in presets search field, it’s not centred correctly and sometimes seems my text is clipped as a result. Minor tho 👍

Thank you for the public beta! To prevent unnecessary irritation/support requests, here's a boring FYI:

Windows installer

Steps taken:

1. On 'Select components'-screen, selected only:
- CLAP
- Presets
2. On 'Paths'-screen:
- Unexpected: Automatic folder defaults to VST32 path set via registry
- Expected: CLAP folder(?)
3. "Ready to install'-screen:
- CLAP will install into the correct folder
- Data to VST32

If I hastily clicked through the dialog (which happens, I guess?), I might have had a hard time locating the data afterwards. Because I wouldn't expect it there :)

Tested context:

- Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Build 19045, admin rights
- CLAP and VST3 folder exist in the default locations
- VST32 and VST64 folders set via registry
- Older existing u-he plugins:
- Zebralette 2
- Filterscape
- Tyrell No 6
aka rktic. demoscener (Farbrausch, Holon, MFX, Still), sound designer, ux-dude, sth @AudioRealism, human synthesizer—not necessarily in that order.

Ronny Pries wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:39 pm 2. On 'Paths'-screen:
- Unexpected: Automatic folder defaults to VST32 path set via registry
- Expected: CLAP folder(?)
3. "Ready to install'-screen:
- CLAP will install into the correct folder
- Data to VST32
The CLAP plugin gets installed to the correct CLAP folder automatically.

The location you can select is for the .data folder only and is not connected to the CLAP location.
It should by default select a location in the user documents section, though, not in your VST32 plugin directory.
Will have to check why that didn't work as expected. Thanks for the report. :tu:

I can get stuck notes in Reaper (Windows) using CLAPi (haven't tried other formats yet).

Steps:

1. Open preset browser
2. Hold a note
3. Press the sustain pedal as you change presets (most obvious when moving to a long sustained sound)
4. Release the note and sustain pedal

Result: stuck note(s).

Filter by pads in browser, choose preset Flowing Seagrass. Play a note, and while it's playing press next preset button. Live crashes.

MacOS Sonoma 14.1.1, Apple silicon, Live 12.0b28. Happens with AU and VST. 44100, 64 samples.

I loaded one of the first presets (starts with "Alien"), clicked the Additive button to change it to Wavetable, then when I clicked the same button again, it immediately crashed my DAW- just blipped away and went right to desktop. Left a process running in the background, so I had to restart my computer to use it again.

This was using Cubase 12 Pro (12.0.70 Build 464) in Windows 10, 44100/432 samples, first build of Zebralette3 VST3

@Urs FYI, the "Gliders" preset causes Bitwig (Win11) to repeatedly crash on me. All the others appear to be ok. Looks & sounds fantastic btw. Congrats!

Crash report. Not able to reproduce yet.

* operating system: macOS Monterey 12.7.3 (M1, ARM, native)
* host application: Ableton Live 11.2.11
* plugin format and revision number: VST3 15573
* sample rate and audio buffer size: 48kHz, 128 samples

I had loaded a .h2p patch by dragging the file onto the plugin GUI from my desktop. I played with it a bit, reloaded the patch again the same way to revert my changes, played with it some more, then right-clicked on the plugin GUI title area and chose 'init'. Live crashed immediately.

I saved the crash report from the Mac crash dialog as a text file, and I'm emailing it to support with the title "Zebralette3 Crash Report for KVR Thread 2024-2-17"

Thanks!

Bug Report: Crackling when using Filter on Low Pass and Curve Filter Osc FX. Sounds like very high passed vinyl crackling
Operating System: Win 10
DAW: Bitwig 5.1.3 48k 256 samples

To reproduce, Init Patch > Select Filter on Low Pass > Bring up Frequency to around 45 (that's where it's most audible to me)

Thank you!!

Consistently causing a "serious problem" in Cubase 13 here. It technically doesn't crash, but freezes Zebralette UI elements, such as all the knobs, sliders and curve points. Buttons still work though, and presets can be selected and it makes sounds. No such issues in Cubase 8 on the same system.

Zebralette3 Crash.jpg

I'll email log files to support.

Steps:
1. Load Cubase
2. Create empty project
3. Add Instrument Track
4. Select Zebralette3
5. Behold the error

* Operating system: Windows 11 Pro
* Host application: Cubase 13 Version 13.0.20 Build 148 (x64)
* Plugin format and revision number: VST3, REV 15573
* Sample rate and audio buffer size: 44.1kHz, buffer 64 samples
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Chris Jones on Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks for all the reports, guys, that's great. We'll try to reproduce those errors next week.

Chris Jones wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:48 pm Consistently causing a "serious problem" in Cubase 13 here. It technically doesn't crash, but freezes UI elements, such as all the knobs, sliders and curve points. Buttons still work though, and presets can be selected and it makes sounds. No such issues in Cubase 8 on the same system.

Zebralette3 Crash.jpg

I'll email log files to support.

Steps:
1. Load Cubase
2. Create empty project
3. Add Instrument Track
4. Select Zebralette3
5. Behold the error

* Operating system: Windows 11 Pro
* Host application: Cubase 13 Version 13.0.20 Build 148 (x64)
* Plugin format and revision number: VST3, REV 15573
* Sample rate and audio buffer size: 44.1kHz, buffer 64 samples

I can report exactly the same (and therefore can confirm this behaviour in Cubase Pro 13.0.20).
Only difference is that my OS is Windows 10.

Also tried to test Zebralette 3 in Unify but didn't succeed because opening Zebralette 3 immediately leads to a crash.

Some graphic issues in the matrix on the right side.
Cubase Pro 12.0.70 / WIN11 Pro 22H2 / i9-12900KF / 64 GB /

Return to “u-he”