Zebralette 3 Bug Reports

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Steve Folta wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:39 am The problem could just as easily be with DWM, it's hard to know. Unfortunately, neither NixOS nor DWM is easy for the developers to "just try out" if they're not already familiar with them. Perhaps I'll be able to figure out a way (and find the time) to isolate it better.
We've had a look, and it seems that maybe some libraries are missing in NixOS, e.g. GTK3, Gobject and Glib.
Maybe installing these will help to solve the problems.
You might also be able to find help from other Linux users in our Linux subforum:
viewforum.php?f=292
That QA guy from planet u-he.

Viktor [TUC] wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:24 am It's a different pattern, yes. Why is it strange though?
Ok, I edited my post, I meant uncommon.

drzhnn wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:48 am Dragging a wav file into the Zebralette doesn't work on Linux. Simply nothing happens.
Sorry, should have mentioned that in the known issues.
We don't support drag&drop on Linux (we tried and failed miserably), so this feature is currently unavailable on Linux.
We'll have to think about alternative methods to load .wav files on Linux, e.g. through a menu.

Chris-S wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:20 am
Viktor [TUC] wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:24 am It's a different pattern, yes. Why is it strange though?
Ok, I edited my post, I meant uncommon.
Interesting find. I'm sure I intended to do it like in your first shot. I'll look into it when I'm back from vacation.

(I do think though that a good many synths used to do the first pattern... once side all lower saws, the other side all upper saws)

Bug Report: Crackling and glitches when playing synchronized notes (only in this case) with the preset named "beat machine".
Operating System: macOS Sonoma on M1 macMini
DAW: Logic Pro 10.8.1 128 samples
Sample rate of the audio interface 44.1KHz (on Rubix 22)

Thank you!!

Chris-S wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:07 am Supersaw issue
Viktor [TUC] wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:10 pm Make them all mono please, and make sure that all unison saws are same volume, no emphasis of the middle voices for example.
But the L / R stereo distribution is also uncommon. Compare with Serum (2nd image):

zlette3vsserum.png
Oh, this may also explain why some folks have been finding the detune problematic and others not.

Beating from detune is both a psychoacoustic phenomenon (proof: hard pan two detuned sines on headphones) and a physical one.

How we hear beating is thus greatly impacted by how binaural your listening environment is. It's very believable to me that these pan strategies would sound very different on headphones but fine on speakers. Or maybe vice versa!

tasmaniandevil asked me to post here about my PT / AAX experiences - I saw it was in known issues, but here's my details in case anything is useful:

Windows 11 23H2
Pro Tools 2023.12.0 and 2023.12.1
Zebralette 3 15573
48k 256 samples RME Babyface

Pro Tools unable to launch, reporting the following error most of the way through loading the app:

Could not complete your request because Access violation occurred, unable to read location: 0x0000000000000040

The app then hung and never reached the Dashboard. Task Manager also reported large memory useage for PT, almost 6GB - by comparison PT usually takes 2.2gb at the Dashboard stage. This happened consistently. I then uninstalled and freshly installed 2023.12.1, no change to behavior. Removing Zebralette (put into unused plugins) solved the issue immediately.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:23 pm tasmaniandevil asked me to post here about my PT / AAX experiences - I saw it was in known issues, but here's my details in case anything is useful:
Thanks. Please try to create the log file, that's what might really help us getting closer to the source of the issue.
You can read the instructions in the first post of this thread, there's a whole section about this particular issue: viewtopic.php?p=8850286#p8850286

tasmaniandevil wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:27 pm
noiseboyuk wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:23 pm tasmaniandevil asked me to post here about my PT / AAX experiences - I saw it was in known issues, but here's my details in case anything is useful:
Thanks. Please try to create the log file, that's what might really help us getting closer to the source of the issue.
You can read the instructions in the first post of this thread, there's a whole section about this particular issue: viewtopic.php?p=8850286#p8850286
Sorry I should have said - I checked but no log file was created.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

I am getting semi random crashes when opening the GUI. White GUI box, stuck buffer, and closes the host to the desktop. Happens during playback and with daw stopped. Seems like it's more likely when I have just closed an instance of zebralette3.
Zebralette vst3- latest build
Win 10 (latest)
Maschine (latest)
Onboard sound
Onboard Intel graphics
Also happens when using the machine hardware as soundcard at - 44.1 or 48k @ every buffer setting

JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

tasmaniandevil wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:03 am We've had a look, and it seems that maybe some libraries are missing in NixOS, e.g. GTK3, Gobject and Glib.
Maybe installing these will help to solve the problems.
You might also be able to find help from other Linux users in our Linux subforum:
viewforum.php?f=292
This is NixOS; one does not simply "install a library".

I agree that the Linux subforum is the place for this. I've barely peeked at it but already I'm finding some interesting things in the "U-he Plugins in an Immutable environment" topic.

Thanks for taking the time! I'm kind of amazed that you didn't just give up at the first mention of NixOS.

I'll repost what I just wrote in the "announcement thread".

First things first - the rig:

Intel Core i7 920 (OC'd to 3,6GHz), 18 GB RAM, NVidia 760 GTX
Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate x64 - max updates
Cubase 10.0.60
RME HDSPe / Digiface Gen1, 128 samples

Version tested:
Zebraletta3 rev15573
WAV files of various length, all of them in 44,1kHz -- dragged on top of Oscillator Panel (Full Editor, small OSC view doesn't work)
Project in Cubase was 48kHz

Finding and Crash Dump
Well then, I can now confirm that "sample loading" works, but it's really wonky.

In fact, it's sporadically working, and then the next moment it isn't anymore. Then it crashes randomly with an "exceptional error - reboot Cubase - check DMP file", and then even after rebooting Cubase, it doesn't work anymore.

I could actually drag over files from a not "run as admin" file browser into "run as admin" instance of Cubase. Dragging from the project (audio file) instantly results in a crash error (exceptional error - reboot Cubase).

I could check out files with up to 5s length (mono, 44kHz), although Zebralette3 took a bit to respond. I could also check out files that were only a couple of ms longs. One way or the other, i only get up to 8(!) wave forms converted, no more. It's not much, but it's a start for some sound design purposes. Sure as hell isn't "the competition" that offers 8-12 frames, or even up to 100 (that old Windows standalone Wavetable editor).

I hope this will be refined, but again... still usable for messing about and create some interesting bass sounds.

Crash Dump - Cubase 10 - Zebralette3 rev15573 (126MB, 2 files)

Hope this helps - I sadly do not have any other error messages as a log.
(because that would be too easy, wouldn't it)
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

noiseboyuk wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:31 pm Sorry I should have said - I checked but no log file was created.
You need to manually create a folder called u-he-log directly on your desktop before starting Pro Tools. Did you do that? When Pro Tools tries to load the plugin, the plugin will then create a log file inside that folder. Once Pro Tools crashed, you can zip that folder and attach it here or send it to our support.

fabienaurejac wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:48 pm Bug Report: Crackling and glitches when playing synchronized notes (only in this case) with the preset named "beat machine".
Cannot reproduce this over here, on an M1 Silicon Mac using Logic in Sonoma.
But I'm not sure what exactly you mean with "playing synchronized notes".
Would you be able to post an example Logic project file that demonstrates the issue?

tasmaniandevil wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:29 am
noiseboyuk wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:31 pm Sorry I should have said - I checked but no log file was created.
You need to manually create a folder called u-he-log directly on your desktop before starting Pro Tools. Did you do that? When Pro Tools tries to load the plugin, the plugin will then create a log file inside that folder. Once Pro Tools crashed, you can zip that folder and attach it here or send it to our support.
Ah apologies again, I thought it was PT logs you were after.

And sods law - the crash isn't now happeneing. I loaded 2023.12.1 successfully in a project. I'll keep the plugin in situ, and if the crash happens again I'll upload the u-he log.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Return to “u-he”