Zebralette 3 Tips & Tricks

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is gonna be the fun place where we can share our best (or worst) tips & tricks.

Post all the clever insights, amazing discoveries and accidental hacks you found while creating wavetables and sounds in Zebralette 3.

Also, feel free to share any interesting presets you come up with.

For reference, you can find the user guide here: Zebralette 3 User Guide WIP 20240304

And Urs's introductory video, which is a good place to start:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7jcAVLRQTE
That QA guy from planet u-he.

I've got one trick, you don't have to use the full table range for your oscillator
you can partition a portion of the wavetable to be used for a filter curve or for spectral decay curves

this is nice for spectral decay, as you can map keyboard to the section of wavetable reserved for decay curves to get different decays across the keybed, or velocity. This mimics real world material properties very well.
Check out my website for synth/software articles reviews and presets http://databroth.com (new review every monday)

I also do experimental sound design and demos of plugins (no talking) on my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/databroth

databroth wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:05 am this is nice for spectral decay, as you can map keyboard to the section of wavetable reserved for decay curves to get different decays across the keybed, or velocity. This mimics real world material properties very well.
are not the guides exactly made for that?
Polarity Music (youtube) berlin, fhain, germany

polarity-dnb wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:56 pm
databroth wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:05 am this is nice for spectral decay, as you can map keyboard to the section of wavetable reserved for decay curves to get different decays across the keybed, or velocity. This mimics real world material properties very well.
are not the guides exactly made for that?
The Guides don't morph, just crossfade. So if you want precise morphing of specific shapes, use the Curves. Plus one might have used the Guides for say OscFX1.

databroth wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:05 am I've got one trick, you don't have to use the full table range for your oscillator
you can partition a portion of the wavetable to be used for a filter curve or for spectral decay curves

this is nice for spectral decay, as you can map keyboard to the section of wavetable reserved for decay curves to get different decays across the keybed, or velocity. This mimics real world material properties very well.
I'm intrigued and fascinated by what you say :love:
Maybe you could share more? Because even though I watched Urs's video I haven't picked on that partitioning trick.
And maybe there could be some users doing tutorial videos sharing here that would be awesome.

I made 5 presets, keys and pads, simple stuff I am an enthusiastic user not a synth God haha :lol:
Feel free to try them.
Some of them do use lots of CPU on my machine but that'll get better. :party:
Next I really want to make more leads with those mean OSC FX functions :hyper:
Zebralette3presets.rar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zebra veterans may remember and still have the U-he randomizer script. Armed with a limiter, of course, it works fine on Zeb
ralette 3. In around 50 uses, I have saved some very unique and compelling sounds. Only one time has the sound invoked Reaper's limiter. I'm using the linux vst3 atm, randomize is at 25%, which is adjustable by editing the script, simple, and well commented as it is! The one attached has a long glide, fun and madness evolving as you add notes throughout your keyboard range, but it's loud, so limit wisely

With lots of notes played, and held by a pedal, samplists may find some pads worth dealing with. Play scales/arps etc with held notes :hyper:
very-glide.h2p.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Those unfamiliar, you load a preset, then load the randomizer.h2p, it instantly creates the new version, if you like the result, name and save as a new preset. You can have multiple versions of the script, renamed with various random amounts you choose. You can prepend the title(s) with something like aa- ii- or zz- in the title, so you see them at the top, middle, and bottom of larger multi-column preset banks. Rescan with your daw to have them active.
Cheers

is it possible to get white noise out of this synth? i'm trying to make a snare.
SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

You can get a fixed frequency osc by modulating the tune with keyfollow amount -133.33.
For very high/low notes this is not working due to a bug.
Screenshot 2024-02-24 141016.png

Noob Alert! :-x

How can I share some presets I have made?

Locate the preset(s) in your presets folder, zip it and you can attach them to your posts.

I'm getting old, man! Thank you Chris! :tu:

Here they are now. I'm not a skilled sound designer, but I played around a bit to understand how it all works. Here's a small selection of my haul so far.

Let me know if I can improve anything and especially how! Hehe

Dont forgett to use a limiter for your safty!

Been messing around with spectral decay/restore - hours worth of fun and depth. Here's one of the results, perhaps useful to someone...

https://soundcloud.com/variformpdx/drum ... al_sharing

here is a one-bar drum loop I made, four instances of Zebralette 3. All four are in additive mode. All of them have long-shifting modulation so the one bar loop stays fresh. Quite fun to throw these on multiple Ableton drum rack channels and see where it goes :)

Added the patches as well

Return to “u-he”