"Playing" in software world

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Lately I've been really uninspired to produce music. Then I realize I missed the "playing" factor in music. Just like when I learned to play some songs in my electric guitar long time ago. If I had fun and spent a lot of time with it, then It's great.
So what's your idea of "playing" like that in software world? Doesn't necessarily need to produce a whole song. For example : playing with patterns in Bitwig Studio session view with all of its modulator or playing with Vital synth designing whatever sound that comes out with it.

I am mostly playing with presets first, then choosing them and editing them. So keyboard. I'd like to have drum pads but have no space.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Maira wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:49 am So what's your idea of "playing" like that in software world?
Merely using the Solo Strings patch configured with MPE from Surge XT on Linux while performing expressively using the LinnStrument.

One interesting learning exercise that can feel like play, especially for sound design, is to pick a synth that you've been meaning to get more familiar with, pick factory/pro presets at random, and reverse engineer them (figure out what what makes them tick, without 'looking'), then create sound variations that are more distinctively yours.

With enough playing around, you'll have pretty much mastered the synth, and know how to quickly create sounds across the spectrum that it is capable of.

Import a standard midi file into your daw
https://www.midiworld.com/files/

Preferably something you've heard before and like

Listen first even if you've heard the original millions of times.

If your daw can generate chord charts based on data great.
If not head over to https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/explore?type[]=Chords and find the same song.

Mute tracks. Leave yourself the drum and bass track maybe one or two more.

Try to cop to the changes (play chords to the music) you aren't trying to recreate it you are trying to get the feel under your fingers. Use something in your wide vst arsenal that can play the chords

Next try your hand at soloing/writing a melody with your fingers. Focus on landing on chord tones on the first beat of the bar.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

The Computer is my piano/cello/flute. I play my instrument all the time. Producing is cheating…; - )

Maira wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:49 am Lately I've been really uninspired to produce music. Then I realize I missed the "playing" factor in music. Just like when I learned to play some songs in my electric guitar long time ago. If I had fun and spent a lot of time with it, then It's great.
So what's your idea of "playing" like that in software world? Doesn't necessarily need to produce a whole song. For example : playing with patterns in Bitwig Studio session view with all of its modulator or playing with Vital synth designing whatever sound that comes out with it.
Keyboard.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”