I want to use only one synth

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

More and more, as I write and learn the software synths I use (I will never own the hardware so who cares anyway), I find that i just want to work with as few synths as possible. Maybe even just one, percussion sounds aside.

Is this common I wonder? I dont' even mean the multi purpose stuff like Pigments or Diva or Vital or whatever. Those are all fine, but for me they lack character. The Arturia stuff, which I'm sure gets criticised by way cooler folk than I, is more what I mean.

Does this ultimately limit more than it inspires? Who would want to listen to an album solely of DX emulation music (who wouldn't?). Now let's party like it was Edgar Froese in the eighties!

You are the target market for Omnisphere, I think.

The_Anarchivist_00 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:36 pm You are the target market for Omnisphere, I think.
You think more of me than my bank manager then. Besides Omnisphere is the kind of software I'm not interested in. Doesn't matter since I'll never own it

ghostwhistler wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:35 pm Is this common I wonder?
I do not know nor care.
ghostwhistler wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:35 pm Does this ultimately limit more than it inspires?
It is a tradeoff: you have the opportunity to specialize in your software synthesizer of choice at the cost of learning others.

Fewer is better, IMO. Regardless of how advanced a user one may be, we are all limited by a fixed amount of time per day, and we have to decide whether we are going to use that learning a new synth/interface/workflow/etc or actually making something with what we already have. I always keep an eye out on the new stuff just to see if something is worth picking up and even just to keep up to date, but unless the benefits of capability/time-saving/etc reach a certain perceived threshold, I don't buy and continue on with what I already have.

What do you want?

You could use u-He Bazille CM, or u-He Tyrell N6.

Zebralette

KBSoundSmith wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:13 pm Fewer is better, IMO. Regardless of how advanced a user one may be, we are all limited by a fixed amount of time per day, and we have to decide whether we are going to use that learning a new synth/interface/workflow/etc or actually making something with what we already have. I always keep an eye out on the new stuff just to see if something is worth picking up and even just to keep up to date, but unless the benefits of capability/time-saving/etc reach a certain perceived threshold, I don't buy and continue on with what I already have.
I think fewer choices is actually better for creativity and it allows for a more unique sound. Rather than having access to everything

VK-1 is pretty funky

The_Anarchivist_00 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:05 pm You could use u-He Bazille CM, or u-He Tyrell N6.
a conversation with someone that's read the first post :D

The_Anarchivist_00 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:36 pm You are the target market for Omnisphere, I think.
No, he is the perfect user for One Ping only.
On synt. and just on sound.
Nothing can go wrong, no decision dilemma and easy to program :hihi:

ghostwhistler wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:35 pm More and more, as I write and learn the software synths I use (I will never own the hardware so who cares anyway), I find that i just want to work with as few synths as possible. Maybe even just one, percussion sounds aside.
Some of my best recordings were done using nothing but an ATC-1 and drum samples. It's a fairly versatile synth, though, and most of the plugins that can match its sound quality are actually more limited.

With that said, I personally don't want to listen to an album of DX emulation music.

ghostwhistler wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:35 pm More and more, as I write and learn the software synths I use (I will never own the hardware so who cares anyway), I find that i just want to work with as few synths as possible. Maybe even just one, percussion sounds aside.

Is this common I wonder? I dont' even mean the multi purpose stuff like Pigments or Diva or Vital or whatever. Those are all fine, but for me they lack character. The Arturia stuff, which I'm sure gets criticised by way cooler folk than I, is more what I mean.
Not only is it uncommon, but it is generally considered perverse and a crime against KVR. :lol:
Does this ultimately limit more than it inspires? Who would want to listen to an album solely of DX emulation music (who wouldn't?). Now let's party like it was Edgar Froese in the eighties!
We've been down this path many times. To some it's liberating to have a lot of restrictions, to others it's too restrictive. I got into this to explore and experiment, so unless I picked something with a huge feature set, I'd feel too limited. That said, I spent a decade owning one synth and I was fine, but I was playing a lot more guitar then, and I had probably 20 effect processors to mess with.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Another way to go is a virtual modular. This can be as simple or complicated as you want it to be. Voltage Modular Nucleus is free :

https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/v ... ar-nucleus

Another approach, I know, but worth trying.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”