is there a Kontakt script for probability of note playing

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a sequencer playing into Kontakt. Kontakt is loaded with multiple instruments all on the same channel.
I would like to set individual probabilities for each instrument to play the incoming notes. Is there a Kontakt script I can install and use as a preset on each instrument?

Perhaps... I know there are certainly instruments with random selection of round robins.

Trouble might be, unless you edit them all into a single instrument, that each one will generate a separate random number, and you might get nothing playing, or several playing at once. If you need to trigger exactly one instrument with every note, that might be the hard part.

If you run into the above problem, it could still be done with a MIDI preprocessor which will take the incoming MIDI and send each note to a randomized MIDI channel (which is easily assignable in Kontakt without having to edit the instruments), which is theoretically simple, but I don't know if such a MIDI preprocessor already exists.

DSmolken wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:04 pm Perhaps... I know there are certainly instruments with random selection of round robins.

Trouble might be, unless you edit them all into a single instrument, that each one will generate a separate random number, and you might get nothing playing, or several playing at once. If you need to trigger exactly one instrument with every note, that might be the hard part.

If you run into the above problem, it could still be done with a MIDI preprocessor which will take the incoming MIDI and send each note to a randomized MIDI channel (which is easily assignable in Kontakt without having to edit the instruments), which is theoretically simple, but I don't know if such a MIDI preprocessor already exists.
thanks - I had assumed each single instrument would have its own probability script. It is possible using external scripting in Reaper - I have set something up to do that using a Reaper script I had written for me and Reaper's routing.
Your suggestion to randomise channel has given me a very good solution tho using Reaper's internal modulation and insertPiz midiChannelize - am about to try it out :tu:

Great, hope it worked like you want.

I've done some within-instrument randomization where you hit a key and get a random technique. Not too hard to program, but the main problem is that unless everything has the exactly same range, you're risking hitting a note and getting no sound because the random instrument or technique picked doesn't go that high or that low.

If you stay in a "safe" range where all your instruments have notes, this won't be a problem, though if you have high and low instruments, you might also need to shift their incoming MIDI by an octave or two in some cases. That would get more complicated...

Side note: Spitfire's London Contemporary Orchestra strings have something called, I think, "pointilist tremolo". It's basically a section of a few musicians alternating playing short notes, but switching techniques, so it's like tremolo but each note within it has a different timbre and also pan. Very neat. Are you going for an effect like that, or something different?

I dont know London Contemporary Orchestra but yes that sort of idea. I had a specific drone bed I was working on - lots of different bowed and rubbed glass and bowls - and thought it would be good to have a better way of organising this within the one instance of Kontakt. I was worried switching channels might cut off notes but doesnt seem to be a problem

Generally I like Kontakt instruments that allow for easy switching between articulations - do you know https://www.evolutionseries.com/portfol ... ors-guqin/ their interface is my favourite for switching and octave remapping. And just great sounds, one of my favourite Kontakt devs
I know the running out of range problem :) Can be a bit frustrating

DSmolken wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:30 pm Great, hope it worked like you want.

I've done some within-instrument randomization where you hit a key and get a random technique. Not too hard to program, but the main problem is that unless everything has the exactly same range, you're risking hitting a note and getting no sound because the random instrument or technique picked doesn't go that high or that low.

If you stay in a "safe" range where all your instruments have notes, this won't be a problem, though if you have high and low instruments, you might also need to shift their incoming MIDI by an octave or two in some cases. That would get more complicated...

Side note: Spitfire's London Contemporary Orchestra strings have something called, I think, "pointilist tremolo". It's basically a section of a few musicians alternating playing short notes, but switching techniques, so it's like tremolo but each note within it has a different timbre and also pan. Very neat. Are you going for an effect like that, or something different?
I have solved this with a bespoke reaper script written for me by one of the reaper scripting people https://www.extremraym.com/en/ a very worthwhile purchase.

Nice! I knew it'd be doable one way or another.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”