Surge XT MPE sound design tutorials

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a new tutorial up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXA8DNu8eRs

This one is aimed at people who'd like to make their own sounds but have never programmed a synth before. It establishes some useful building blocks and a starting point for future lessons.

I would appreciate any feedback; I'm still pretty new to making these and would like to improve :)

Here is the same video proxied through my Invidious instance:

https://invidious.franklyflawless.org/w ... XA8DNu8eRs

I will be using Surge XT for at least another six months, so this will be a useful resource to consider. My interest is in creating patches similar to "Solo Strings", but for other acoustic instruments. Thank you for sharing this Max.

Thanks.

The next one I'm planning will be a cello sound, which will probably get pretty close to solo strings. I'll review that patch and see if it has any tricks I've forgotten.

Great, I will provide feedback in this thread after I have allocated time and space for it.

Excellent, Max! I've just posted it on my site's "Surge XT" page, and also linked to it from the "LinnStrument Tech Tutorials" YouTube playlist. Thanks!

I also liked your performance at the beginning.

Thank you, Roger! You should hear the cello I'm working on for episode 2. In fact, I'll send it to you.

Yeah!

Okay, I have carefully watched the entire episode. I think it was generally well focused, paced, and structured. The episode itself is quite long, so perhaps reducing video length to 30 minutes or less and focusing on creating one patch per video instead of two would be more efficient long-term as a video series.

Looking through Surge XT's User Manual, what I am interested in learning about are the String and Twist/Plaits oscillators, and particularily from the latter, the Inharmonic String and Modal Resonator engines. Do you think you would be able to create an episode showcasing any of them being used to create a patch? I will be reviewing Roger's Surge XT video released a few months ago in the meantime.

Thanks for the feedback! I think future episodes should be shorter, as I can start assuming people know more. The next one is long though :) I will do an episode on those oscillators but I'll need to study them a bit first.

Great, I will continue to provide feedback for further episodes as they are released.

Thank you! Much appreciated.

Here is the same video proxied through my Invidious instance:

https://invidious.franklyflawless.org/w ... phrdOzIE6c

I will aim to provide feedback by this Sunday.

Okay, I have also carefully watched the second episode. It was pretty dense due to all of the various LFOs being used compared to the first episode, so I had a difficult time keeping pace past 27:30. An idea to consider would be creating basic patches as main episodes in the series, while refining those basic patches later on as bonus episodes for those who wish to derive further value from them. Convolution Reverb would have been better mentioned as a hook at the end of the video instead of during the editing of the cello patch, as it ended up being quickly disabled anyways.

Thank you, i will keep all of this in mind for the next one.
There is a tension between density and length. On my first editing pass I cut out a lot of silences and when I listened back I found I wasn't absorbing the information at all. I also cut out 3/4 of my noodling between talking, and I wonder if that was too much. Maybe slower but longer videos are going to be the way for me to go (and maybe I can break them into parts as you suggest) but I don't want to skip the subtleties, I think they're what make the patches fun to play and that's what's most important.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”