What is the best drum hardware "sequencer"

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

christian f. wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:44 am Push or Maschine
Ableton Push seems very targeted to Ableton, not sure how well it works with Cubase. If I understand correctly Maschine, maybe... I have some NI software so it may be a good fit there. Will look more at it.

GearNostalgia wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:39 am
christian f. wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:44 am Push or Maschine
Ableton Push seems very targeted to Ableton, not sure how well it works with Cubase. If I understand correctly Maschine, maybe... I have some NI software so it may be a good fit there. Will look more at it.
PUSH 3 Standalone doesn't need a DAW/Computer....its its own thing, a hardware drum machine.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:09 am
PUSH 3 Standalone doesn't need a DAW/Computer....its its own thing, a hardware drum machine.
He's asking for a hardware controller to use with Cubase.

pdxindy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:45 pm
Reread. The OP specifically said 'sequencer', not 'controller'. And started with the consideration of hardware drum machines.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

GearNostalgia wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:34 am I just want it as a step sequencer controller for drums so whatever sounds will just be a bonus.
In that case, I’d second the Maschine recommendation. Akai MPC or MPD would be another option, but my personal preference is for Maschine.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:54 pm
pdxindy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:45 pm
Reread. The OP specifically said 'sequencer', not 'controller'. And started with the consideration of hardware drum machines.
Which he said he wanted for controlling Battery and Groove Agent and that the sounds in the device itself were not important.

And yeah, he didn't use the term 'controller', but that is what he's asking for.

GearNostalgia wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:34 am
Constructed Identity wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:01 pm
GearNostalgia wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:36 am I have a beatstep and it is not good. You have to set each step individually to the corresponding note to match kick, snare,hat... and there is only one track. So it is very slow. Definitely not the fast jamming tool I am looking for. Not looked in detail at Elektron, but I have heard they have an "unusual workflow" , not sure if that means faster or slower in a "jamming" situation.
I tried out the RD-8 a few weeks ago and didn't like it. Went with the Digitakt and I generally think it is a full-featured drum machine. Intuitive to get the basics, but button combinations for advanced things. I've been using a certain set of samples for years so it it nice how easy it was to import waves into it.
What didn't you like about the RD8? It seems to have a simple workflow to me. 16 steps with decicated buttons to select what drumhit to edit. I really can't see how that could go wrong assuming it outputs midi-notes in a normal fashion mapped to normal drum map keys.

I just want it as a step sequencer controller for drums so whatever sounds will just be a bonus.
The sequencer buttons are mushy and I found it not intuitive to step sequence patterns. I didn't have the manual and I wasn't going to spend a ton of time with it in the store but that was my initial impression. Also didn't like the LCD display.

pdxindy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:26 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:54 pm

Which he said he wanted for controlling Battery and Groove Agent and that the sounds in the device itself were not important.

And yeah, he didn't use the term 'controller', but that is what he's asking for.
Yes. I wrote sequencer cause I want to be able to click out drum grooves on it mapped to any of my favorite libraries to replace the workflow of looping bars in Cubase and clicking in the notes with mouse. I prefer playing in chords on my synths so I think I would like to do the same with drums. So I picture myself making the drumloops on the physical sequencer and then recording the final midi in the daw. It seems more logical to me to have a straight line of 16 steps and not a 4*4 grid of pads, but maybe it is not a big deal. So if I can work in "sequencer" mode in the same way I am not against a controller. I just wanted to make clear that I don't want a drum machine to do live finger drumming.

I just saw a used NI Maschine mk2 sold without software pretty cheap. Maybe I should pick that up since I have the VSTs I want to use anyway?
Last edited by GearNostalgia on Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Constructed Identity wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:47 pm The sequencer buttons are mushy and I found it not intuitive to step sequence patterns. I didn't have the manual and I wasn't going to spend a ton of time with it in the store but that was my initial impression. Also didn't like the LCD display.
That is a surprice. They look like hard plastic keyboard keys.

cryophonik wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:24 pm and Sonicware drum machines.
Never heard of Sonicware. That is a maybe. The BASS&BEATS is really ugly, but maybe that is the one to go get for the nostalgia of oldtimes clubbing memories. Some of those beats might even be of use to me :D

I have a Model: Samples and its sequencer is the best. It has some great cheats you can do to add more than one instrument to a track, and to stretch out 64 steps into even longer patterns. Also, the Arturia Drumbrute Impact has a great sequencer. Intuitive and hands-on, especially for rolls. The Novation Circuit Tracks has a great sequencer for drums. Though you only get four tracks, there are cheats like on the M: S to make it sound like you have more.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

Moe Shinola wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:30 am I have a Model: Samples and its sequencer is the best. It has some great cheats you can do to add more than one instrument to a track
Thank you for your suggestions.

I can not see any buttons labeled BD,SN,HH on most Elektron units. I guess there is some buttoncombo to select what note(sample) that is edited. I fear it will make things less easy for me. I want to get a unit with as pure 1 button per function as possible to avoid menydiving and button combos that I will forget. Elektron Rytm looks perfekt, but it is waaay above what I want to pay now. Drumbrute is an option to consider.

GearNostalgia wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:04 am
Moe Shinola wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:30 am I have a Model: Samples and its sequencer is the best. It has some great cheats you can do to add more than one instrument to a track
Thank you for your suggestions.

I can not see any buttons labeled BD,SN,HH on most Elektron units. I guess there is some buttoncombo to select what note(sample) that is edited. I fear it will make things less easy for me. I want to get a unit with as pure 1 button per function as possible to avoid menydiving and button combos that I will forget. Elektron Rytm looks perfekt, but it is waaay above what I want to pay now. Drumbrute is an option to consider.
There's a way to load all the samples at once, as long as there's only six samples in the folder, and they are named the way it wants. I don't have the manual with me right now, but I know there's a way to do it. It works best if you are using the included kits, not ones you've imported yourself.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

Ok. That may be fine, but that is not really what I am looking for. My top priority is finding a machine that have standard keys to select drumtriggers, clicking out notes in a 16 pattern and transmitting its midi data to a sequencer so I can jam my favorite drum VSTs like s drummachine. Drumbrute may be good.

Korg SQ-1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”