What is the best drum hardware "sequencer"

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After clicking in drum notes in my DAW for many years I still feel that it often kills my vibe. I think it is time for me to get some hardware to make the beats. After looking at some vids on Youtube I am leaning towards something in the 808 workflow style. Sound is not my main priority since I have all the sounds I need and more in Battery and Groove Agent.

So the question is. What hardware has the most intuitive and "players oriented" step sequencer for drumming with midi integration? Berhinger RD-9 or RD-8 (do they have the same sequencer with just different sound?)? Or something else?

I am going to say something elektron before someone else does. IMHO the sequencer is great for drums but they aren't giving them away - if you don't need sounds wouldn't a keystep (pro?) be better - I have no experience of those, but they look good, have plenty of features and are not expensive.
Last edited by ericj23 on Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

I have a beatstep and it is not good. You have to set each step individually to the corresponding note to match kick, snare,hat... and there is only one track. So it is very slow. Definitely not the fast jamming tool I am looking for. Not looked in detail at Elektron, but I have heard they have an "unusual workflow" , not sure if that means faster or slower in a "jamming" situation.

Push or Maschine

I would say if sound isn't your highest priority (such as actual real analog drums) then the Roland TR-8S. It has all the famous Roland sounds including various 808 drums, either sampled or in their best analog modeled version. And you can also load your own samples. It also has a pretty comprehensive mixing capabilities and effects, DAW integration with the TR-8S editor App via Roland Cloud, and you have multiple audio channels over USB.

If you must absolutely have analog and don't mind Behringer then sure, the RD-8 makes sense.
<List your stupid gear here>

I am not a fan of Behringer, but I may have to bite that bullet if the RDs have the easiest workflow for jamming out grooves. Roland TR is a bit on the pricey side.

Elektron makes the best sequencers (imo).

So either a Digitakt or Rytm for drums.

pdxindy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:02 pm Elektron makes the best sequencers (imo).

Or Syntakt (a blend of analogue and digital drums)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Korg Drumlogue is actually very good and can be picked up for stupid money (seen them go for £250 second hand), Korg do refurbs directly for £340 https://www.korg.co.uk/products/c-drumlogue

If you have the money, the most "players oriented" step sequencer for drumming has to be the PUSH 3 (Stan alone version if you want away from the computer) as it has fabulous 'MPE' drum pads (64 of them!) and a range of step sequencer types together with all of Lives drums and FX....There are loads more MPE drum sets with Live 12....
Last edited by SLiC on Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

If the Roland TR-8S is on the pricey side for the OP, the Digitakt, Syntak, and (esp.) RYTM will be as well. You could consider the Model Cycles or Samples for a cheaper Elektron box, or maybe the TR-6S as a less expensive alternative to the 8S. Others to consider are the Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Drumlogue, and Sonicware drum machines.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

You get what you pay for as they say. The reason I mentioned the TR-8S is that it's a modern classic and full of features. The Syntakt, Digitakt, RYTM probably do have the best sequencer and best sound, but at a price.

Perhaps also a mention to the Korg Volca range if price is an issue.
<List your stupid gear here>

SLiC wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:14 pm
pdxindy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:02 pm Elektron makes the best sequencers (imo).

Or Syntakt (a blend of analogue and digital drums)
but no samples

GearNostalgia wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:36 am I have a beatstep and it is not good. You have to set each step individually to the corresponding note to match kick, snare,hat... and there is only one track. So it is very slow. Definitely not the fast jamming tool I am looking for. Not looked in detail at Elektron, but I have heard they have an "unusual workflow" , not sure if that means faster or slower in a "jamming" situation.
I tried out the RD-8 a few weeks ago and didn't like it. Went with the Digitakt and I generally think it is a full-featured drum machine. Intuitive to get the basics, but button combinations for advanced things. I've been using a certain set of samples for years so it it nice how easy it was to import waves into it.

Constructed Identity wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:01 pm
GearNostalgia wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:36 am I have a beatstep and it is not good. You have to set each step individually to the corresponding note to match kick, snare,hat... and there is only one track. So it is very slow. Definitely not the fast jamming tool I am looking for. Not looked in detail at Elektron, but I have heard they have an "unusual workflow" , not sure if that means faster or slower in a "jamming" situation.
I tried out the RD-8 a few weeks ago and didn't like it. Went with the Digitakt and I generally think it is a full-featured drum machine. Intuitive to get the basics, but button combinations for advanced things. I've been using a certain set of samples for years so it it nice how easy it was to import waves into it.
What didn't you like about the RD8? It seems to have a simple workflow to me. 16 steps with decicated buttons to select what drumhit to edit. I really can't see how that could go wrong assuming it outputs midi-notes in a normal fashion mapped to normal drum map keys.

I just want it as a step sequencer controller for drums so whatever sounds will just be a bonus.

SLiC wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:17 pm Korg Drumlogue is actually very good and can be picked up for stupid money (seen them go for £250 second hand), Korg do refurbs directly for £340 https://www.korg.co.uk/products/c-drumlogue

If you have the money, the most "players oriented" step sequencer for drumming has to be the PUSH 3 (Stan alone version if you want away from the computer) as it has fabulous 'MPE' drum pads (64 of them!) and a range of step sequencer types together with all of Lives drums and FX....There are loads more MPE drum sets with Live 12....
Have not seen a Drumlogue second hand in my area, but is looks ok. Do you have one? Does it transmit midinotes from the sequencer on standard midi channel mapping? If so it may be a contender.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”