What is the best drum hardware "sequencer"

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SLiC wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:27 pm If you just want a step sequencer for your DAW with 808 style workflow you cant go wrong with an AKAI Fire, super cheap! No point paying for sounds you don't need. Unless its analogue, no real difference in sound using your computer with a good controller.

https://www.akaipro.com/akai-fire.html - about 120 quid.

Yep, I forget about that one. Definitely on the low cost side. Someone else mentioned Spark, but, AFAIK, it's not available anymore. On the upside, if you find a controller used, unlike Maschine, you can buy the software.

Q: Is this actually a sequencer? Or is this just a controller for FL-Studio's beat sequencer? It appears to be the latter. This would help to explain the low cost.

A: It is not a sequencer. It is just a controller. Think of it as a poor man's push or Maschine. It will be a waste of money for someone looking for an external sequencer.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GearNostalgia wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:21 pm Thank you for this long detailed input. I have noticed different drum mappings when changing sound libraries, but I am used to transposing to get it right. So as long as I know what note the device regards as the note for a kick or snare I think it will be a big step up for me to run a pattern and edit in in real time. I looked at the RD6 and it seemed ok, but then I looked at the RD9 and it seemed to be a step up with features more features in the sequencer. So that is why I was attracted to the RD9 initially. Some say the Drumbrutes sequencer and is equal or better. I will pick Arturia before Uli the asshat if that is true.
So I haven't used an RD9, I have played live sets with a real 909. The real 909 just isn't as easy to use in terms of pure sequencing as the 606. Yes, it's more powerful, but even simple things like the buttons make the 606, hence RD6, a more fun live machine.

I can't speak to the drumbrute in terms of sequencer. I will tell you this, it's no 909 in terms of sound. The reason to get an RD9 is that you want those Roland analogue drum designs in a modern box.

On Edit: I'm not sure if the Fire is actually a sequencer. It appears that it's just a controller for FL-Studio. Someone else can add detail.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moe Shinola wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:35 pm Have you thought about an Arturia Spark? I thought that was a controller with its own sequencer to use with the drum sounds in Cubase.

https://www.arturia.com/products/drums/spark2/details
That could have been something, but seems to be out of production.

egbert101 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:43 pm Even youtube influencers are beginning to feel the heat of guilt, and starting to get people out of the trap of being manipulated. It's an industry remember. A very big industry to make you part with your money.
Yes, a lot on YT feels like bought ads.

ghettosynth wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:02 pm So I haven't used an RD9, I have played live sets with a real 909. The real 909 just isn't as easy to use in terms of pure sequencing as the 606. Yes, it's more powerful, but even simple things like the buttons make the 606, hence RD6, a more fun live machine.

I can't speak to the drumbrute in terms of sequencer. I will tell you this, it's no 909 in terms of sound. The reason to get an RD9 is that you want those Roland analogue drum designs in a modern box.

So far I think the Fire is the best solution for you in this thread in terms of all parameters considered. I don't own one and have never used one, but if what you're looking for is XOX sequencing of your existing drum-kits, then that will get the job done and you're not going to get anything that's much cheaper. It will give you a more powerful sequencer than the RD6 but you aren't paying for the sounds.

Don't get me wrong, at $150 vs $250, I definitely think that Maschine Mikro is better value. But, money aside, it does require more time investment on your part to get the most out of it.
I have faint memories of the buttons on the old 909, but I did not remember them as a problem, but maybe the Behringer knobs are not nice.

I had a brief look at Akai fire now and it seems ok, but it seems very hard connected to FL... does that mean anything for Cubase?

As for sounds I am no puritan. I blend all kinds of drums and trash in my beats. Written it before. I don't mind if the unit has sounds, but that it is not influencing my decision. As for budget I am comfortable to pay up to 600 euro, and that that excludes electron, tempest and such...

GearNostalgia wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:33 pm I had a brief look at Akai fire now and it seems ok, but it seems very hard connected to FL... does that mean anything for Cubase?
It does. I edited my post above because I was assuming that the recommender did the hard work. They did not. It's not a sequencer at all. It's simply a controller for FL-Studio. This is a common way to sell "hardware" these days for less money. Even Maschine follows this model. There are other examples, e.g., Eventide's external delay controllers.

So, it won't work for your needs.

When I talk about the buttons and the live use, I'm talking about jamming on the unit. IIRC, you can work with the 909 in write pattern mode, but you can't switch back to pattern play mode without stopping the sequencer. You can on the 606. The buttons on the 606/RD-6 are small and low so that it's easy to sweep your finger across all of them quickly. It's also possible on the 909, but having done it live, it's not as easy and more likely to fail. Again, I don't have an RD-9.

So, I use my RD-6 by alternating between pattern write and play modes. I often stay in write mode for a long time, but, if you want to quickly switch to another pattern, then you can do that easily without stopping the sequencer. This may not be as important to you. It is to me and for any new sequencer I buy it's pretty much a requirement.

Ok, thank you, then Akai Fire is out.

It is hard to say if pattern switching is important or not now. Never thought about it. I don't do live gigs. I feel like it is best to get as good and versatile sequencer as possible now and see what I end up using rather than getting something crippled.

My suggestion is to forget about MIDI. Just buy a drum machine and jam, and maybe record it as a WAV file with something cheap. Then once you are happy with your jam, then reproduce it in your DAW. Trying to build a MIDI sequencer outside of a DAW is a bit futile and misguided. Save yourself the time and hassle.
<List your stupid gear here>

Well I am a midi guy and not a WAV-chopper. So no.

GearNostalgia wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:29 pm
Moe Shinola wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:35 pm Have you thought about an Arturia Spark? I thought that was a controller with its own sequencer to use with the drum sounds in Cubase.

https://www.arturia.com/products/drums/spark2/details
Nope, that is new to me, but it seems good! And price is nice!
It seems like a product they didn't follow through on, with the DAWless direction they started going in, but for you it might be perfect.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

ghettosynth wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:56 pm Someone else mentioned Spark, but, AFAIK, it's not available anymore. On the upside, if you find a controller used, unlike Maschine, you can buy the software.
When I bought my used SparkLE (for $75), Arturia gave me Spark 2 for free.

Uncle E wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:44 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:56 pm Someone else mentioned Spark, but, AFAIK, it's not available anymore. On the upside, if you find a controller used, unlike Maschine, you can buy the software.
When I bought my used SparkLE (for $75), Arturia gave me Spark 2 for free.
I'm pretty sure I'm buying that controller for like a buck fiddy, no? Ok, ok, ok, two fiddy!

GearNostalgia wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:36 am I have a beatstep and it is not good. You have to set each step individually to the corresponding note to match kick, snare,hat... and there is only one track. So it is very slow
I am assuming you have the original Beatstep. Have you considered the Beatstep Pro? It has a dedication drum track sequencer which might solve your mapping woes (plus two monophonic melody tracks).

SHall1000 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:10 am
GearNostalgia wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:36 am I have a beatstep and it is not good. You have to set each step individually to the corresponding note to match kick, snare,hat... and there is only one track. So it is very slow
I am assuming you have the original Beatstep. Have you considered the Beatstep Pro? It has a dedication drum track sequencer which might solve your mapping woes (plus two monophonic melody tracks).
No I am done with beatstep. The knobs are also turning into a sticky mess so it does not even feel fair to sell it. The sticky knobs is what makes me reluctant to buy the Drumbrute which otherwise looks promising.

Modor DR-2 is my choice for interesting drum sequencing... I have a TR8-S for cliche X0X patterns... but for longer or more complex stuff in time signatures beyond 4/4 it's an exciting and stimulating option... and equally interesting sounds to work with.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”