What is the best drum hardware "sequencer"

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Shabdahbriah wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:32 am Korg SQ-1.png
Seems like a one channel sequencer so I can not see how I could use that easily to switch between editing different drumnotes.

GearNostalgia wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:44 am Ok. That may be fine, but that is not really what I am looking for. My top priority is finding a machine that have standard keys to select drumtriggers, clicking out notes in a 16 pattern and transmitting its midi data to a sequencer so I can jam my favorite drum VSTs like s drummachine. Drumbrute may be good.
Genre is going to be important here. I love my Behringer RD6 because it is so fast for this. This works well for the minimal electronic styles that I'm into. The RD6 is super small and lightweight and has midi out. Put it in pattern write mode, select a sound, program the pattern.

What people often get annoyed by with this style is that the complexity is very limited. Synchronizing can also be a pain in the ass and this may be true for anything that just relies on MIDI.
For me this isn't a problem because I'm mostly using it with hardware.

Don't sell the Maschine short because it has pads. Frankly, I think that if you like NI stuff it's hard to beat, especially the Mikro because of the size/cost. In addition, I actually like the grid for step stuff because the patterns make for fast programming. 4/4 kick, just drag your finger down the left side of the grid. Editing velocity is easy with the software. I think that for the combination of immediacy and flexibility it's hard to beat, as long as you're ok with the limitations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjjglS0J-JQ

Even though I rarely finger drum. I do find it useful for time to time for some parts and the pads feel great in the Maschine controllers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTxM0VmY64M

Weirdly, I don't like push anywhere near as much for drum programming.

ghettosynth wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:14 am Don't sell the Maschine short because it has pads. Frankly, I think that if you like NI stuff it's hard to beat, especially the Mikro because of the size/cost.
What do you think about a secondhand Maschine mk1? worth it for 50 bucks? Do the pads get worn out easy?

Another thing I wonder about. Can you record a pattern into a maschine from the DAW? I often start out with a pattern I have in some drum library and want to edit it in my DAW now. Would be cool if I could edit old pattern using the hardware step sequencer.

GearNostalgia wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:52 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:14 am Don't sell the Maschine short because it has pads. Frankly, I think that if you like NI stuff it's hard to beat, especially the Mikro because of the size/cost.
What do you think about a secondhand Maschine mk1? worth it for 50 bucks? Do the pads get worn out easy?
The only problem with buying them used is that you need the software and NI is a pain about this. If you know that you are getting the software, then ok, otherwise, I'd pass. I have a older unit in white, I don't know whether it's MK1 or MK2, that was cheap. Works fine. However, I didn't get any software with it. I had the software already from owing the Jam. The Jam is nice for step sequencing. But I think that the size of all of them gets in the way. If I were buying one today, I'd buy a MK3 mikro new.

ghettosynth wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:57 pm The only problem with buying them used is that you need the software and NI is a pain about this. If you know that you are getting the software, then ok, otherwise, I'd pass. I have a older unit in white, I don't know whether it's MK1 or MK2, that was cheap. Works fine. However, I didn't get any software with it. I had the software already from owing the Jam. The Jam is nice for step sequencing. But I think that the size of all of them gets in the way. If I were buying one today, I'd buy a MK3 mikro new.
There is no software with this unit. Is there some kind of software neccesary that is not in the Komplete suite?

GearNostalgia wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:09 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:57 pm The only problem with buying them used is that you need the software and NI is a pain about this. If you know that you are getting the software, then ok, otherwise, I'd pass. I have a older unit in white, I don't know whether it's MK1 or MK2, that was cheap. Works fine. However, I didn't get any software with it. I had the software already from owing the Jam. The Jam is nice for step sequencing. But I think that the size of all of them gets in the way. If I were buying one today, I'd buy a MK3 mikro new.
There is no software with this unit. Is there some kind of software neccesary that is not in the Komplete suite?
Yes, you need the Maschine software and NI are absolutely not interested in hearing that you picked up their hardware used. The software that came with the unit is registered to the original buyer and they (the buyer) have to actively release it to make it available. This is a sad story that many purchasers of used Maschine hardware repeat.

I nearly purchased a used Maschine Studio, and this was from a music store, but there was huge drama about the release of the software. The seller was friends with the salesman who sold it to me. He was convinced that it would all work out, but after a few days of back and forth I took it back and just bought the Jam. This is exactly why old controllers without software are so cheap.

Now, once I had the Jam, I picked up my used White MK1/2, I don't know which TBH, for a song, and it worked great with the software. But, you have to have the software and the best way to get the software is to buy a new unit.

ghettosynth wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:24 pm
Yes, you need the Maschine software and NI are absolutely not interested in hearing that you picked up their hardware used.

But, you have to have the software and the best way to get the software is to buy a new unit.
That sound very weird. Why on earth don't they want their hardware to keep getting their value?

Equally strange that the maschine can not be used as a generic controller for their own software without custom software.

Thank you for pointing this out. Now NI Maschine goes straight to the bottom of my list.

I love the Torso T-1 for drums, so much fun!

GearNostalgia wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:08 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:24 pm
Yes, you need the Maschine software and NI are absolutely not interested in hearing that you picked up their hardware used.

But, you have to have the software and the best way to get the software is to buy a new unit.
That sound very weird. Why on earth don't they want their hardware to keep getting their value?
From their POV it makes sense. They don't get anything from the sale of used hardware. So, if every tom dick and harry that bought a beat up $50 controller could get the software for free then they would sell fewer Maschine packages (hardware and software).

AFAIK, they have never sold the software separately. Now, the original seller can give the buyer of new hardware his copy of the software, he just has to release it from his/her account. This isn't done all that often, for whatever reasons, and so the market is flooded with cheap software less controllers.
Equally strange that the maschine can not be used as a generic controller for their own software without custom software.

Thank you for pointing this out. Now NI Maschine goes straight to the bottom of my list.
So, TBH, here I think that you might not be realizing how comprehensive the software is and what it does. As a controller it's just some pads and knobs with some displays. All of the sequencing is a part of the software. I'm a Maschine fan, you will also find Maschine haters on KVR.

At $249, Maschine Mikro MK3 does a lot more than what an RD9 does for a lot less money. If you are working ITB, then it's pretty decent value without much equal. Push is a lot more, anything Elektron is a lot more.

I'd definitely suggest watching some Maschine Mikro mk3 videos before dropping it to the bottom of your list. It has capabilities for controlling other NI instruments (including Battery) and creating custom controller templates using the Controller software and the software works like a host/DAW that can load third-party VSTs/AUs. I've had my own personal love/hate relationship with Maschine, but recently replaced my full mk3 with the Maschine+ and got back into the workflow so much that I bought a secondhand Mikro mk3 controller to leave connected to my computer. It's small enough to fit nicely behind my QWERTY keyboard on my keyboard/mouse pullout tray under my desk, so it's out of sight when I don't need it, but I just pull my tray out a little further when I want to lay down a quick beat.

This page explains how to use Battery with Maschine either in the Maschine software or without it:

https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... Controller
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

ghettosynth wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:46 pm
At $249, Maschine Mikro MK3 does a lot more than what an RD9 does for a lot less money. If you are working ITB, then it's pretty decent value without much equal. Push is a lot more, anything Elektron is a lot more.
Yeah, for someone who just wants to sequence drums in Cubase, Push is far too complicated and big besides costing a lot.

And Elektron machines would be a waste of money too. The Elektron sequencers are amazing, but that is for their own sound engines. You lose a lot of capability when outputting midi so if the primary use is for that, it's not the right tool to get.

Maybe something like the Presonus Atom which has 16 pads with velocity and AT and costs $150.

It may seem like a good idea to render their machines useless so more end up in a landfill and new gets sold. But it don't like that waste business model and I will not buy their hardware. They will join Behringer in the bottom of my list for ethical reasons.

Yes, that is my conclusion also pdxindy . The Elektron Rythm seems really cool, but the price is not.

My current top contender is Arturia Drumbrute Impact that seems to have a solid sequencer and not too high price. It seems like they have stopped making the bigger Brute version, right?

GearNostalgia wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:33 pm Yes, that is my conclusion also pdxindy . The Elektron Rythm seems really cool, but the price is not.
The Rytm is amazing. It's an incredible synthesizer tool. It's my favorite for drums/percussion cause it can sound so organic and non mechanical. I have 2 of them and use them for rhythmic ambient compositions. But the sequencer is there to control the sound engine and that's where it shines. Midi control of external gear is a small bonus feature, not a primary reason to buy it.

For your use, there are simpler and cheaper options.

Totally agreed on the RYTM - it's a beast!

I guess I'm still not clear on exactly what the OP is looking for. Drumbrute, Drumlogue, Elektrons, etc., are designed primarily as standalone units and none of them are great for controlling other instruments, especially not software instruments. :shrug:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:21 pm Totally agreed on the RYTM - it's a beast!

I guess I'm still not clear on exactly what the OP is looking for. Drumbrute, Drumlogue, Elektrons, etc., are designed primarily as standalone units and none of them are great for controlling other instruments, especially not software instruments. :shrug:
Sounds like he wants a 'brains' hardware that acts like a sequencer rather than a DAW which just happens to also be a drum machine for something like £200. I just don't think he will find anything for that amount.

https://youtu.be/Rl_uizPDwbU
<List your stupid gear here>

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”