Where do you buy your wavetables?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:16 pm It isn't that easy to create good or interesting sounding waveforms/wavetables. About 90% of the stuff which usually comes with synths isn't very usable or musical to me.

The best (onboard) wavetables I came across so far were from Waldorf and Access Music.
Yeah exactly its not easy to create, thats why i do find it funny people asking for editors and then asking where to buy wavetables :lol:

chk071 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:16 pm It isn't that easy to create good or interesting sounding waveforms/wavetables.
It's incredibly easy to create good or interesting sounding waveforms/wavetables with the right tools and talents. (for just one example the Mu3eum waveforms and tables made with same).

Having said that, single cycle waveforms can only hold so much data and do tend to fall into a few categories such as bell like, metallic, somewhat voxish, analog style (such as saw wave variations), etc.

So after a while the waveforms can start to sound a bit same-ish. I don't know what the math is for the number of possible unique sounding waveforms made with 2048 samples.

Sweeping a WT is where the magic lies such as Hive 2's "Synced Square.wav" which gives the synth hard sync sounds capability which it doesn't have otherwise and so on......

The other power of WTs is to be able to load up a table and have access to a selection of single waveforms beyond the standard generated saw, square, sine etc waves. WTs don't have to be swept to be useful.

Waveforms.png

As a heads up, Image-Line is working on a Wavetable synth although the sound demos so far are pretty generic. Will be interesting to see how it sounds upon release.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

chk071 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:16 pm It isn't that easy to create good or interesting sounding waveforms/wavetables.
I'd have to agree with you.

It is easy to create a wavetable. Depending on the WT creation app, we could draw it, apply some DSP processes, import a sample, etc. But is the resultant wavetable going to give good results when used in a WT synth? That's another question. Having created hundreds of wavetables I have to say it is easy to end up with a mess.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:19 pm But is the resultant wavetable going to give good results when used in a WT synth?
Define "good results". I imagine that varies a great deal depending on the user. Sure it's possible to create bad WTs but it's also possible and easy to create good ones as defined by what the individual considers "good".

Either way having access to waveforms beyond the stale and static old Saw, Square, Sine, Triangle, and Pulse waves makes WT's a very powerful synthesis feature.

If you're looking to have access to more than 5 waveforms when creating patches then WTs are the way to go. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:29 pm
himalaya wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:19 pm But is the resultant wavetable going to give good results when used in a WT synth?
Define "good results". I imagine that varies a great deal depending on the user. Sure it's possible to create bad WTs but it's also possible and easy to create good ones as defined by what the individual considers "good".
"Good results" - that which excites my inner ear lobe, filling my cochlea duct with divine vibrations, sending glorious sonic simulation to my heart, which then feeds my brain with heavenly sonic manna.

Ah, the 'user'...I am the user. The one that creates and uses. If I create a sh!t wavetable, and then proceed to use it, and decide that the result is sh!t, then this user concludes that it is of no use to other users and the wavetable in question is moved to a folder called 'disused'.

Teksonik wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:29 pm If you're looking to have access to more than 5 waveforms when creating patches then WTs are the way to go. :tu:
Yeah, but, shit sounding waveforms, or wavetables which aren't fun to scan through don't add anything to your sonic palette, apart from... well... shit.

What I want to say is that creating waveforms or wavetables is just as an art as creating sounds or music. Which seems logical, doesn't it?

himalaya wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:47 pm Ah, the 'user'...I am the user. The one that creates and uses.
You are one user. Others create and use as well so what you consider "shit" others may love. Make a crappy waveform or table then just toss them out and start again.
chk071 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:49 pm Yeah, but, shit sounding waveforms, or wavetables which aren't fun to scan through don't add anything to your sonic palette, apart from... well... shit.
Again define "shit". Based on what you've posted over the years I'd wager a guess that your definition of shit is miles wider than what others may define as shit.

Of course some waveforms and wavetables can sound like crap but some can sound awesome and add a great deal of options beyond standard waveforms.
chk071 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:49 pmWhat I want to say is that creating waveforms or wavetables is just as an art as creating sounds or music. Which seems logical, doesn't it?
Oh yes it's definitely an art form but it's not rocket science. Anyone can learn given enough time and the proper tools. I struggle making waveforms with PhD level tools like Hive's .uhm or DUNE 3's Math Formulas and that's mostly because I haven't spent enough time working with them. But I have other tools to make WT's that don't require a degree in Quantum Mechanics so I spend my time using them.

Anyway I think we can all agree that wavetables are a great synthesis feature and if one doesn't need the feature they can simple stick with the old standard waveforms. Win-win. :tu:

Teksonik wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:26 pm
Oh yes it's definitely an art form but it's not rocket science.
Creating useful wavetables is not hard. Perhaps there's a tendency to get caught up in the possibilities and try to make them too complex. Most of the wavetables I make are 2-4 waveforms with generated in-between frames.

Teksonik wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:26 pm
himalaya wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:47 pm Ah, the 'user'...I am the user. The one that creates and uses.
You are one user. Others create and use as well so what you consider "shit" others may love. Make a crappy waveform or table then just toss them out and start again.
I can not assume that should the content I create be substandard, that somehow others will love it. It has to make sense to me first of all. That's why in this process, I am the first and last 'user'.

If the wavetable I create is crap, I will not release it. This is about having some self-awareness that leads to quality control. In my heart, I need to feel that what I create is good - for me. It has to sound good to me, if it does, then mission accomplished. I can only ever satisfy my own creative urge, and only then release the wavetable/preset/samples and hope that others are able to create great content with it. This is the only way it can happen (for me). I can not assume that the rubbish wavetable (or anything else) that I have just created will be used by others to create gold. I assume people will also smell the same crap I did. :hihi:

zerocrossing wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:20 pm I’d like to extend the capabilities of a few of my plugins and hardware synths. I’ve rolled my own in the past, but frankly I don’t feel like dedicating the time to it at the moment, and I want to just buy a few decent patches. A lot of what I’m finding seems very geared towards IDM with super harsh sounding stuff and what I’m after are more balanced, but interesting wavetables, in the vein of Waldorf and PPG. (But not exactly those) Maybe cool stuff, like a wavetable made from some exotic rare instrument.
The u-he patch library (old and new) may have some wavetables included in preset packs which may be useful to you.

https://u-he.com/community/patchlib/
https://u-he.com/PatchLib/

If you have Zebra, then obviously some of those may work. But if not, check the Hive packs for wavetables, as they should be usable in other synths -- looking quickly, the Enforcer pack explicitly states custom-made wavetables derived from the Virus TI, and there are other packs as well which may work for you (e.g. maybe Analog Anthem).

BTW, I don't know why people can't answer a simple question.

I've always liked Node by Sonic Academy for making wavetables.

It's simple and quick with good export functions

zerocrossing wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:57 pm Hey, guess what? I find people who buy presets are odd, but I almost never say anything because who cares?
Synth programming is a time-intensive craft. As long as I can learn from programmers better than me, I will continue to buy presets. :)

abi wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:38 pm https://www.galbanum.com/products/archi ... eforms2010

I like and use them frequently.
So do I. Well worth the investment.
I wish I could sing as well as the voices inside my head...

http://www.cdbaby.com/darkvictory

DocAtlas wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:54 pm
abi wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:38 pm https://www.galbanum.com/products/archi ... eforms2010

I like and use them frequently.
So do I. Well worth the investment.
Me 3 - I also love loading them as modulation waveforms in Absynth!

Return to “Instruments”