Pulsar Modular P450/P455 MDN Plugin Bundle

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Definitely worth a demo, yes it is expensive. PM plugins are usually silly money, this isn't, and sounds phenomenal. Put it on your mix bus in its default state (which does have the line amp on) and listen to the difference.

https://www.pulsarmodular.com/product/p455-mdn-sidecar/.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

$189 with discount in case anyone is wondering.

Incidentally Scientology charge nothing for entry into their cult. Bad value by comparison, although it may even out in the end to be fair.

Too much of a cash grab from a cultish company. It's not 2015 anymore. We know whats going on with products and pricing. All the best to those that decide to transfer their wealth though...

plexuss wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:31 pm Too much of a cash grab from a cultish company. It's not 2015 anymore. We know whats going on with products and pricing. All the best to those that decide to transfer their wealth though...
Everyone over on GS seems to also somehow work for them too. It's hilarious.

From the manual .pdf:
Willie is tight, punchy, strong, open and forward.
Atticus is laid back, velvety, wide and magical with an ability to extend notes and create holographic imagery.
What does what now ?!?!

These guys claim that they compete with hardware, not with other plugins. Hence the prices.

But I still can't believe that I actually own the plugin. History knows hundreds of developers who did not manage to become a big enough company before going out of business to leave a legacy of fully working plugins. Time is especially cruel to plugins.

Really easy to criticise this company for crazy prices, I do too. Personally I don't think this is, its same ballpark as Oeksound, Tone Projects etc. Either way, as this is an allegedly a discussion forum, try the demo and give an opinion.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Plenty of expensive plugins are worth your time. What's not worth anyone's time is bizarre hyperbole and a company being run by gearslutz forum members dickriding each other. Sorry but it needs to be said.

For a second there I thought it was a channel strip from Pulsar Audio, and my heart skipped. But then, wait, it's not the same company? Gearslutz? Anyone have the story here?

Anyway it looks like it's $179 too expensive.
Check out my OSC (One Synth Challenge) entries and more Logic Pro sequences on SoundCloud and YouTube.

cdbaksu wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:14 pm For a second there I thought it was a channel strip from Pulsar Audio, and my heart skipped. But then, wait, it's not the same company? Gearslutz? Anyone have the story here?

Dude buys up an older company and the IP (modular synth maker). Plans to sell off individual parts as new plugins. Shows up on Gearslutz (an audio forum) charging weirdly high prices for a saturator. Claims his product beats out hardware. People push back on the high prices and the owner reveals himself to be somewhat of a narcissist. Makes wildly inconsistent claims about all sorts of things. Says he isn't actually a developer, just someone who loves audio and has golden ears, so hires a whiz mathematician to work with him. He doesn't believe in oversampling and has tuned everything by ear (so it competes with hardware cause he says so?). Gearslutz buys into it and starts dictating how he should run his company. He hires a bunch of members to work for him. They work themselves into a frenzy about everything the company does. Company has weird policies on sales etc.

I'm sure there is a bunch I don't know but the pulsar modular threads over there on GS are absolutely legendary. Worth a read if you need a laugh.
Last edited by Kappa_Beta_Hi-Phi on Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kappa_Beta_Hi-Phi wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:35 pm
cdbaksu wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:14 pm For a second there I thought it was a channel strip from Pulsar Audio, and my heart skipped. But then, wait, it's not the same company? Gearslutz? Anyone have the story here?

Dude buys up an older company and the IP (modular synth maker). Plans to sell off individual parts as new plugins. Shows up on Gearslutz (an audio forum) charging weirdly high prices for a saturator. Claims his product beats out hardware. People push back on the high prices and the owner reveals himself to be somewhat of a narcissist. Makes wildly inconsistent claims about all sorts of things. Says he isn't actually a developer, just someone who loves audio and has golden ears, so hires a whiz mathematician to work with him. He doesn't believe in oversampling and has tuned everything by ear (so it competes with hardware cause he says so?). Gearslutz buys into it and starts dictating how he should run his company. He hires a bunch of members to work for him. They work themselves into a frenzy about everything the company does. Company has weird policies on sales etc.

I'm sure their is a bunch I don't know but the pulsar modular threads over there on GS are absolutely legendary. Worth a read if you need a laugh.
I've been reading them for a while and demo'd several of their plugins, including this new "this is IT" offering. I'd say your summary is accurate.

It's the same story with each release at this point.

eecrumjr77 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:15 am

I'm sure their is a bunch I don't know but the pulsar modular threads over there on GS are absolutely legendary. Worth a read if you need a laugh.
I've been reading them for a while and demo'd several of their plugins, including this new "this is IT" offering. I'd say your summary is accurate.

Yeah GS is a weird place and those threads are peak GS.

Admittedly there is plenty of useful info there, but there are also plenty of useful idiots.

I'm remembering recently there was an incident with this company and Acustica Audio where both companies sparred with each other over something or other. It was pretty bonkers. :lol:
Last edited by Kappa_Beta_Hi-Phi on Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kappa_Beta_Hi-Phi wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:39 am
eecrumjr77 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:15 am

Yeah GS is a weird place and those threads are peak GS.

Admittedly there is plenty of useful info there, but there are also plenty of useful idiots.

I'm remembering recently there was an incident with this company and Acustica Audio where both companies spared with each other over something or other. It was pretty bonkers. :lol:
Yeah, it's interesting how the same cast of characters goes immediately into hype overdrive mode with each PM release. AA pretty similar.

eecrumjr77 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:54 am Yeah, it's interesting how the same cast of characters goes immediately into hype overdrive mode with each PM release. AA pretty similar.
I'm pretty sure the owner is playing them like a fiddle. We know AA does this and always has. The pulsar modular owner just tapped into it and jacked it up. It's wild actually.

It is ripe for a phycological paper. It's like they are part of this exclusive club that's giving them magical powers, it's all in their heads and they pay for the privilege.

Cult is accurate. :help:

Return to “Effects”