Pulsar Modular P450/P455 MDN Plugin Bundle

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sounds great!

yeah, i like that too !

These guys have a small but rather funny youtube audio plugin review channel and I really like their sometimes brutally honest opinions and straight no bullshit attitude (so fresh in a world that constantly walks on egg shells).

And I quote from the video:

"I got to admit, going into this review, I kind of wanted to hate it... ..there was a lot of pretentious blurb about it but having played with it, I'm like, this sounds absolutely amazing."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt_x3Tsf-jc

So, still snake oil? :hihi:
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:08 am
Still pushing this plug?

I don't think it's snake oil but I do find some of the loyalty around PM to be odd. That was the point of the earlier discussion about GS in particular.

It's a tool. Not a religious relic.

I like this plug. It works for me. I find it to be very useful for the purpose I am using it for. It does come across as a little boutique, and only necessary (imo) if you're looking for a certain feel or sound to the music you're making. As of this moment, I am usually using this with either Michelangelo, Sontec or the Evo Channel, which has their own feel and sound too. Sometimes, I like to include El Rey 2 or the P11 Abyss too. I like the way they sound and blend together. It's for me, like putting my own analog gear together. Tbh, I am still on that journey.

As odd as the loyalty towards PM may be perceived, I find the loyalty towards AA odder. These are the only 2 developers, that I know of, whereby their forum discussions regarding new plugins, usually have really heated debates between Team A and Team B. It makes for a fun read in the beginning, but then it just gets boring, because every episode is about the same thing and the narrative is so repetitive. And yet, here I am.

Kretch wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:16 am ...heated debates between Team A and Team B
Exactly. Other than PM and AA threads, that doesn't really seem to happen. Weird.

PM and AA are the new UAD. UAD and Powercore were the new Soniccore. Soniccore was the new Pulsar (literally). So we have come full circle.

I literally had to google Sonic Core. The Minimax sounds really good.

eecrumjr77 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:59 am
bmanic wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:08 am
Still pushing this plug?

I don't think it's snake oil but I do find some of the loyalty around PM to be odd. That was the point of the earlier discussion about GS in particular.

It's a tool. Not a religious relic.
I just enjoy the plugin. It's really bloody brilliant and as with all things I enjoy, I will keep mentioning them.

The video was just a fun jab at all the people who probably thought the exact same thing as the guy in the video, that it didn't stand up to the hyperbole.. but in this case, it really does deliver. Of course my opinion and as always with audio, entirely subjective.

Also like the youtube channel so bringing some more exposure to them is always good. They are basically doing what the snake oil dude is except they are way more laid back and not as clueless.

Uncle E wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:50 am PM and AA are the new UAD. UAD and Powercore were the new Soniccore. Soniccore was the new Pulsar (literally). So we have come full circle.
Hmm.. wasn't the original UAD-1 card before all of them? The only DSP platform that is older as far as I can remember was Pro Tools and that other DSP thing.. with that horrible brown UI. Forgot the name of it.

EDIT: No actually you are right. Creamware Scope was first!

There was also Korg OASYS and Yamaha DSP Factory. Cool products that allowed us to get hardware sounds at a time when all native sounded like the most basic Waves plugins, yet were attacked relentlessly due to their high prices.

bmanic wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:44 pm
I just enjoy the plugin. It's really bloody brilliant and as with all things I enjoy, I will keep mentioning them.
Fair enough. I'm genuinely interested in people's experiences and input with these things provided it's offered thoughtfully.

Out of curiosity, do you have an arrangement or working relationship with Pulsar Modular?

eecrumjr77 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:03 pm
bmanic wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:44 pm
Fair enough. I'm genuinely interested in people's experiences and input with these things provided it's offered thoughtfully.

Out of curiosity, do you have an arrangement or working relationship with Pulsar Modular?
None other than the developer asked me to test it and give my opinion on it. It was already really far in development, basically done and fully tested. Ziad just wanted my thoughts on it and some presets if I had time for it (which unfortunately I didn't have much time for so there are only a hand full by me in the plugin, not that it really needs many presets as it's so simplistic).

bmanic wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:37 pm Ziad just wanted my thoughts on it and some presets if I had time for it (which unfortunately I didn't have much time for so there are only a hand full by me in the plugin, not that it really needs many presets as it's so simplistic).
Was aware of your contribution to the presets for P450/455. IIRC you did similar for P11 Abyss - is that correct?

Anyway, I'd imagine you can see how one might observe a situation like that and wonder if the company in question was attempting to leverage the reputation of a well-known member of the online community.

You can wonder all you want, I'm not for sale. Never have been, never will be. I'm just not cut out for that kind of stuff as I can't keep my mouth shut. So if something is shit, I'll say it's shit. If something is great, I'll say it's great! It really is as simple as that.

Return to “Effects”