What is conventionality/novelty in electronic music?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Neon SampleTank 4

Okay so it's been something like 3 years that I have not found a single track that would've made me go "wow". When I was younger, it happened more often. Nowadays I think I've heard all the tricks.

How to overleap conventionality (doing the same tricks)? I had a Metasynth 5 license briefly, because I thought I'd make new music with it, but I sold it, because I wanted it to be a VST.

Also, any recent tracks that made you think it does it? Any subgenre of electronic music.
Last edited by soundmodel on Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

soundmodel wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:02 pm Okay so it's been something like 3 years that I have not found a single track that would've made me go "wow". When I was younger, it happened more often. Nowadays I think I've heard all the tricks.
This happens naturally because you get older...
https://www.mic.com/articles/96266/ther ... to-science

Does it really matter to bring something new on the table? We all regurgitate ad infinitum :shrug:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:40 pm
soundmodel wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:02 pm Okay so it's been something like 3 years that I have not found a single track that would've made me go "wow". When I was younger, it happened more often. Nowadays I think I've heard all the tricks.
Does it really matter to bring something new on the table? We all regurgitate ad infinitum :shrug:
In this case yes, because occasionally I also debate about selling all gear and doing something else.

I have grown out of most polysynths already. I upgraded to starting most tracks not using a polysynth, but a vocoder, which is sort of the same idea as Metasynth gives. The idea is to merge the additive synth representation and some signals to produce sounds "ad infinitum".
Last edited by soundmodel on Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

soundmodel wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:33 am
BertKoor wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:40 pm
In this case yes, because occasionally I also debate about selling all gear and doing something else.
so the only reason you've got to make music is to achieve something you are basically stating is unachievable?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I make music in order to invent something new, not reiterate on something that people have already heard.

soundmodel wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:36 am I make music in order to invent something new, not reiterate on something that people have already heard.
yes, and you seem to be asking how to do that, and also saying that you cant find any evidence that anyone has been able to do so recently.

so...

How to overleap conventionality (doing the same tricks)? I had a Metasynth 5 license briefly, because I thought I'd make new music with it, but I sold it, because I wanted it to be a VST.

Also, any recent tracks that made you think it does it? Any subgenre of electronic music.
Surely by giving you an example it means it has been done and therefore falls outside your remit?
I used to be Bunnyboy many many years ago

I think it is technically possible now to overcome limitations. I feel it is more about being too influenced by what parts music should have (a desire for familiarity, be it wubwub or amen or something). But I am a bit lost as to what is novel. I used to think vocoded sounds and sequences on effects.

In instruments I think Eplex7 is the recent incarnation of novelty.

Is it still novel if its been done before but you are not aware of that?

Even Omnisphere 2 is starting to feel sort of old. Even when the Orb and the sequencer were sort of novel.

Malström is limited, but I think its tableread granular synthesis is still sort of novel.
Last edited by soundmodel on Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:39 am Is it still novel if its been done before but you are not aware of that?
Yes. But that's why I asked if someone else knows what's novel.

soundmodel wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:10 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:39 am Is it still novel if its been done before but you are not aware of that?
Yes. But that's why I asked if someone else knows what's novel.
But that means 'novel' is entirely subjective, rendering any other input pointless.

No. Novel means that it is not heard elsewhere in a reminiscent form.

Or novel = max(|previousmusic - novelmusic|)

soundmodel wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:25 pm No. Novel means that it is not heard elsewhere in a reminiscent form.
If something is novel to you, but not novel to someone else, as you have agreed could be the case, then novelty is subjective.

No. We can compare it in a mathematical sense. If the features are too similar, it is less or not novel.

Features:

structure
melody lines
sound combinations
rhythm patterns

Return to “Production Techniques”