What is conventionality/novelty in electronic music?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Neon SampleTank 4

Bunny_boy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:40 pm
mjudge55 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:21 pm - Loss of innocence and ideals
- Sexual disassociation
- Economic immobility, making do with limited means
- Inauthenticity, disposability, low culture
Surely those are themes of music for the last 120 years?
Yep, but they mean new things in new contexts, configurations, and aesthetics. In any case, for the music to be effective it needs to connect back to issues humans have had since creation anyway. Deeper themes are our relation to power, the natural world, our bodies, family, procreation, love, etc.

^^^ but... Yoko Ono.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Okay I am changing my opinion today.

Based on the discussion I think we can safely say that both of the following are equally respectable:

-Conventional entertaining music
-Novel entertaining music

Now the conventional is not novel, but it's still entertaining.

I picked this observation after realizing that I started a track that uses a dnb loop as a significant element. But that the loop is reasonably edited already and it's only 1 out of 13 tracks currently out of which the 12 others are entirely my own inventions.

The drum loop is a significant element, but the other elements change the whole so that the drum loop itself is not really much.

Also, in a sense I also recognize that one can be novel in the sense of being novel to yourself as artistry. I mean, even if it's not novel in the broad category, it's novel for yourself as an artistic achievement.

Not caring about genre or making “electronic music” would be novel in electronic music. Writing a good song would be novel in electronic music.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

vurt wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:46 pm ... making noise ...
Making noise, totally good. Time to make more.

Return to “Production Techniques”