Do PC "optimizations" effect all users/accounts?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

With all the "optimizations" that I've done on my new PC, does that affect all user-logins? (Old or if I make a new user)... Nothing was too in-depth; no 'bios', 'msconfig', 'registry' edits, just "advanced power-settings", "advanced settings" and common "settings"

Guitar Binge wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:11 am With all the "optimizations" that I've done on my new PC, does that affect all user-logins? (Old or if I make a new user)... Nothing was too in-depth; no 'bios', 'msconfig', 'registry' edits, just "advanced power-settings", "advanced settings" and common "settings"
Without knowing exactly what you've done, I'll say no, all optimizations don't necessarily affect all accounts; some do and some don't. Even the ones you've listed don't necessarily affect all accounts.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

So you've done 'optimisations' without checking their full effect and scope?

Awaiting the 'my computer/software' isnt working' thread.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

planetearth wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:35 am
Guitar Binge wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:11 am With all the "optimizations" that I've done on my new PC, does that affect all user-logins? (Old or if I make a new user)... Nothing was too in-depth; no 'bios', 'msconfig', 'registry' edits, just "advanced power-settings", "advanced settings" and common "settings"
Without knowing exactly what you've done, I'll say no, all optimizations don't necessarily affect all accounts; some do and some don't. Even the ones you've listed don't necessarily affect all accounts.

Steve
Okay, thanks for the help. I was just curious. I'm trying to use this PC strictly or mostly for music, so maybe I won't even add other accounts but who knows. One thing I decided on, was not adding a "3rd party antivirus". I'm using the 'Windows Defender' or whatever's built-in to 'Windows 11 Pro'. If I ever were to add a "3rd party antivirus", do you know if it adds it to all users or can I keep it to just a single-user?

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:41 am So you've done 'optimisations' without checking their full effect and scope?

Awaiting the 'my computer/software' isnt working' thread.
When I say "optimizations", it's not too in-depth and things I've continually done over the years... Mostly personal settings. The most in depth is basically setting my 'Power-Management' to "High-Performance" and tweaking it's 'advanced settings'... Besides that, just basic 'advanced-adjustments' for "Visual Performance" and things like that... On my new PC, I never went in-depth far enough to mess with the 'Bios', 'Registry', or even 'MSCONFIG'.... If I still had performance issues in the future, I'd probably do some tweaking in 'MSCONFIG', but I don't think I'll ever need to. . . I just wasn't sure if these minimal tweaks I've done effect new/added user-accounts.

Guitar Binge wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:25 pm If I ever were to add a "3rd party antivirus", do you know if it adds it to all users or can I keep it to just a single-user?
The way virus scanners work (start as early as possible during boot so it can intercept everything) I'd expect it to affect all users.

But the question is rather academic: you said you're not planning to add more accounts.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:54 am
Guitar Binge wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:25 pm If I ever were to add a "3rd party antivirus", do you know if it adds it to all users or can I keep it to just a single-user?
The way virus scanners work (start as early as possible during boot so it can intercept everything) I'd expect it to affect all users.

But the question is rather academic: you said you're not planning to add more accounts.
Okay, thanks. I'm not planning too, but am not sure. It's hard to say because I have multiple accounts I've used over the years, however, I started a new account on this PC for my new music... I was thinking about adding one with a virus-scanner to do my shopping on, but I'll probably just be careful to use trustworthy music sites w/ 'Windows Defender' on my current account and leave it at that.
I technically have one more account already on the new PC b/c when I first booted it up and signed-up for 'Windows 11 Pro', it wasn't showing an "add new account", so I used my previous Music account from last PC. After that, I decided I wanted a fresh start and made the new account and set it to "Admin."... I haven't used my old account yet, but I didn't remove it either. I may or may not

Guitar Binge wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:25 pm
planetearth wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:35 am

Steve
Okay, thanks for the help. I was just curious. I'm trying to use this PC strictly or mostly for music, so maybe I won't even add other accounts but who knows. One thing I decided on, was not adding a "3rd party antivirus". I'm using the 'Windows Defender' or whatever's built-in to 'Windows 11 Pro'. If I ever were to add a "3rd party antivirus", do you know if it adds it to all users or can I keep it to just a single-user?
Antivirus apps generally affect all users on a machine. If you're staying with the built-in Microsoft Defender, just watch where you go on the Interwebz. It's good enough for basic security, but it won't be of much use if you download software from warez sites (not that I'm suggesting you would).

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Guitar Binge wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:24 pm

Okay, thanks. I'm not planning too, but am not sure. It's hard to say because I have multiple accounts I've used over the years, however, I started a new account on this PC for my new music... I was thinking about adding one with a virus-scanner to do my shopping on, but I'll probably just be careful to use trustworthy music sites w/ 'Windows Defender' on my current account and leave it at that.
I technically have one more account already on the new PC b/c when I first booted it up and signed-up for 'Windows 11 Pro', it wasn't showing an "add new account", so I used my previous Music account from last PC. After that, I decided I wanted a fresh start and made the new account and set it to "Admin."... I haven't used my old account yet, but I didn't remove it either. I may or may not
If you had signed in to a Microsoft Account on your old PC and also added that account to the new PC, Windows will copy over as much of your personalized settings as it can. That can be a good thing, if you've spent a lot of time tweaking your OS. It can also be a bad thing, if it carries years of "issues" over to your new machine. "Issues" can crop up after months (or years) of tweaking the OS and then Windows Update partially or fully resetting some of those tweaks...before you change them again. None of this is a deal-breaker though, and you can fairly easily "reset" Win11 if it really gets screwed up. You'll lose your user settings (and you'll have to re-install some apps), but it's better than re-installing the entire OS and everything with it.

All that said, unless you're really going to tweak the heck out of the OS, there's no real benefit to adding another user account. You would only create one to strip it down as much as you could for music production. If you're not stripping it down that much, there won't be much (if any) performance difference between it and a standard administrator account.

And since your old Microsoft Account was an administrator account and this new one is taking over the built-in Admin account (which you can rename, if you want), it doesn't sound like any account you create would be a standard "User" account. As you probably know, this type of account would (in theory) limit your exposure to attacks, which could help Microsoft Defender do its job. But most people find the standard User account too restrictive, and some music apps may not even work well, since they require admin-level access.

Steve

planetearth wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:07 pm

If you had signed in to a Microsoft Account on your old PC and also added that account to the new PC, Windows will copy over as much of your personalized settings as it can. That can be a good thing, if you've spent a lot of time tweaking your OS. It can also be a bad thing, if it carries years of "issues" over to your new machine. "Issues" can crop up after months (or years) of tweaking the OS and then Windows Update partially or fully resetting some of those tweaks...before you change them again. None of this is a deal-breaker though, and you can fairly easily "reset" Win11 if it really gets screwed up. You'll lose your user settings (and you'll have to re-install some apps), but it's better than re-installing the entire OS and everything with it.

All that said, unless you're really going to tweak the heck out of the OS, there's no real benefit to adding another user account. You would only create one to strip it down as much as you could for music production. If you're not stripping it down that much, there won't be much (if any) performance difference between it and a standard administrator account.

And since your old Microsoft Account was an administrator account and this new one is taking over the built-in Admin account (which you can rename, if you want), it doesn't sound like any account you create would be a standard "User" account. As you probably know, this type of account would (in theory) limit your exposure to attacks, which could help Microsoft Defender do its job. But most people find the standard User account too restrictive, and some music apps may not even work well, since they require admin-level access.

Steve
Okay, that helps. Thanks again... For now, I'll just be careful if I go online or shop... The only music sites I shop from have been safe so far and are large companies like "Native-Instruments". The only time I had to override the security suggestion was when I shopped from "Thenatan" and purchased a bundle of effects and samples... For now, I'll be extra safe, and I'll keep considering weather or not to add a 3rd party antivirus like 'Avast'

Guitar Binge wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:56 pm

Steve
Okay, that helps. Thanks again... For now, I'll just be careful if I go online or shop... The only music sites I shop from have been safe so far and are large companies like "Native-Instruments". The only time I had to override the security suggestion was when I shopped from "Thenatan" and purchased a bundle of effects and samples... For now, I'll be extra safe, and I'll keep considering weather or not to add a 3rd party antivirus like 'Avast'
Thenatan is legit, even if you get a warning, but it sounds like you know what you're doing there. If you decide to go with something like Avast, you can always disable it while using your DAW, to minimize its impact on your resources.

Steve

planetearth wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:20 am
Guitar Binge wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:56 pm

Steve
Thenatan is legit, even if you get a warning, but it sounds like you know what you're doing there. If you decide to go with something like Avast, you can always disable it while using your DAW, to minimize its impact on your resources.

Steve
Good call, I didn't think about that. If I take that route, I definitely will. Thanks

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”