Here Endeth The Lesson

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Another red collab.

https://archive.org/download/LessonMP/L ... 0Final.mp3

Edit:
Draft stereo vocoder mix: https://archive.org/download/LessonMP/L ... de2%29.mp3

Edit2: An earlier version that uses Pitchmap on the vocals and boosts the side information on the master channel:https://archive.org/download/LessonMP/L ... nce%29.mp3
Last edited by Genetic_Junk on Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

I started to smile as soon as I realized the first word was damnation. I love the lo-fi/psychedelic rock tone to the mix. Vocal style works well.

I did wonder what the mix would sound like if the guitar line that follows the vocal was a little wider in the stereo field. There still both pretty distinct, but I did feel like sometimes they were occupying too much of the same space. It's one of those things though where I'm not confident it would make the mix better—maybe worse.

Very fun track.
eassae.com
“I do nothing professionally, I do everything for fun.”—Prince, Under the Cherry Moon

Yes, you can't miss that: the first word is "damnation" - and the
song as a whole is centered around this word.

What I think is particularly good: The vocal melody is in the
foreground and gives the song its character and distinctiveness.
The guitars are cleverly played, supporting the vocal melody and
making it a really good song. It's really fun to listen! :tu:

As eassae already noted: the stereo image is pretty narrow
overall. You could make it much broader. :wink:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

eassae wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:42 pm I started to smile as soon as I realized the first word was damnation. I love the lo-fi/psychedelic rock tone to the mix. Vocal style works well.

I did wonder what the mix would sound like if the guitar line that follows the vocal was a little wider in the stereo field. There still both pretty distinct, but I did feel like sometimes they were occupying too much of the same space. It's one of those things though where I'm not confident it would make the mix better—maybe worse.

Very fun track.
Thanks for the feedback. Glad you enjoyed. The guitar pushing against the vocal was kind of intentional. I was trying to mask some of the singing where the pitch felt off. Here's an older mix where the lead guitar is lower, and there is a prominently mixed stereo vocoder. https://archive.org/download/LessonMP/L ... de2%29.mp3

Nice track. Good arrangement. I especially liked the guitar sounds.

Genetic_Junk wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:21 pm Thanks for the feedback. Glad you enjoyed. The guitar pushing against the vocal was kind of intentional. I was trying to mask some of the singing where the pitch felt off. Here's an older mix where the lead guitar is lower, and there is a prominently mixed stereo vocoder. https://archive.org/download/LessonMP/L ... de2%29.mp3
I see what you mean. I do like the mix from the original post better.
eassae.com
“I do nothing professionally, I do everything for fun.”—Prince, Under the Cherry Moon

Genetic_Junk wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:28 pm Another red collab.
Thank you for another wonderful collab, mate.
It's a blast.

Gentlemen, this is blasphemous! I approve. :D

You guys are firing on all cylinders - musically, lyrically, creatively. :love:

Both mixes here are a bit rough. I think you guys should finish an album or an EP's worth of material and consider hiring a mixer to give it a little more polish.

Frantz wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:31 am Gentlemen, this is blasphemous! I approve. :D

You guys are firing on all cylinders - musically, lyrically, creatively. :love:
Thank you, Frantz
For me, our collaborations have been pure gold.
A joy.

Nine months ago, I reached out and made a porky poser.
Asking for a collab partner to help with a song that, to be fair, was a little odd.
Genetic_Junk took the gammon gamble.
Pig with a gun is where our collab begun.

And here we are.
A joy.

i agree with Frantz. mix feels narrow too, in terms of stereo spread. but the overall creativity "outshines" the mixing issues.
:tu:
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

enroe wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:09 am Yes, you can't miss that: the first word is "damnation" - and the
song as a whole is centered around this word.

What I think is particularly good: The vocal melody is in the
foreground and gives the song its character and distinctiveness.
The guitars are cleverly played, supporting the vocal melody and
making it a really good song. It's really fun to listen! :tu:

As eassae already noted: the stereo image is pretty narrow
overall. You could make it much broader. :wink:
Thanks enroe. Glad you enjoyed. Appreciate the feedback on the mix.

markkuja wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:35 pm Nice track. Good arrangement. I especially liked the guitar sounds.
Thanks for listening and commenting markkuja. :)

I listened to both mixes, and I prefer the mix at the top of the thread. It's more energetic and "direct". The guitar parts were exciting (both the notes played and the sounds used), and the vocals came across very well. I liked the sound of the drums, too.
For some reason, parts of this (mainly the guitar) reminded me of Spirit (a creative American West-Coast rock band whose heyday was probably 1968-1971).

Good work, both of you :)

seismic1 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:52 am For some reason, parts of this (mainly the guitar) reminded me of Spirit (a creative American West-Coast rock band whose heyday was probably 1968-1971).
Doesn't ring any bells. Will check them out.
Good work, both of you :)
Thank you

tomtom1 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:51 am i agree with Frantz. mix feels narrow too, in terms of stereo spread. but the overall creativity "outshines" the mixing issues.
:tu:
Appreciate the feedback. :)

Return to “Music Cafe”