Why would music phase in one spot & not in another?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a piece of music and one 2 bar section has phase issues. There is another 2 bar section that is exactly the same except it has an extra synth sound added. It has absolutely no phase issues. I haven't encountered this before and don't know how to fix it or even why one phases & the other doesn't.

And I answer my own question with possibly a warning. The phase issues were in samples I were using. These were 3 different samples out of about 5 from the same kit. So check your samples for phasing because some of them might phase. I just phase corrected the offending samples and it was okay.

This is actually pretty basic production stuff IMO.

When you bring in (especially acoustic-like) tracks that have a space with them (reverb etc.) and/or that either contain the same sound (e.g. leaks from other microphones) or a sound playing in similar frequencies or notes, you should always listen to how the spaces and delays align. This is commonly fixed by "nudging" (Pro Tools term).

Phasing is always about two or more of the same frequencies appearing at different delays.

Yes, and with the right delay you can also compensate a phase difference. However, it is rarer than having a phase difference.
Last edited by soundmodel on Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:29 am, edited 4 times in total.

It never occurred to me to check samples. loops I should say, because they already seem finished. And that's the other thing, I will usually go for the Dry ones because I want to use what I have. Same for vocals, unless the verb is just really nice.

They are finished. Your mix isn't.

Sorry, it was the loops.

Return to “Production Techniques”