One Synth Challenge #181: Surge (Voting Started!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Chris-S wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:57 pm Also worth mentioning is that the Twist Oscillator has special drum modes IIRC.
really? didn't know, thanks.
SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

Chris-S wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:57 pm Also worth mentioning is that the Twist Oscillator has special drum modes IIRC.
The twist with the Twist Oscillator was a good twist... thanks for sharing!
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Two question for Richard:
Is Surge XT in "Audio In" mode allowed? Different Osc type offer an Audio-In option. I haven't tried it yet, but before I do, I wanted to make things clear... And second is the Surge XT FX Plugin allowed?

Disclaimer: Sorry if I might have missed a discussion which discussed this already.

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:22 pm Two question for Richard:
Is Surge XT in "Audio In" mode allowed? Different Osc type offer an Audio-In option. I haven't tried it yet, but before I do, I wanted to make things clear... And second is the Surge XT FX Plugin allowed?

Disclaimer: Sorry if I might have missed a discussion which discussed this already.
Yes and Yes.
Surge XT Fx is still Surge and so is good to use to the full.
The source for all Audio must be Surge of course.

BTW: If somebody is interested to recall OSC memories ...
Share your old Surge Tracks ... what has changed since then? What are you looking forward to trying out? What is the update you like must since the round back then.
here's mine https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/prev ... e-upon-you
Updates I love: I love the Twist family of oscillators and the Clap per note-modulation capabilities.
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

One more Question for Richard:
there are a few vocal wavetables available coming with surge. One for instance consists of a sample of the phrase "Surge Synthesizer".
Are we allowed to use them a.) completely to reproduce the phrase like a sample b.) only in parts?

] Peter:H [ wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:17 am One more Question for Richard:
there are a few vocal wavetables available coming with surge. One for instance has the phrase "Surge Synthesizer".
Are we allowed to use them a.) completely to reproducing the phrase like a sample b.) only in parts?
-Wavetables provided within the synth may be used however you like.

-Third party and imported wavetables should not be used for straight sample playback i.e. to replicate recorded instruments or vocal phrases directly, but rather to synthesise, morph and mangle single cycle waveforms.

FWIW

This one I definitely won't enter: Listen to Not OSC 181 by Mauvecastle on #SoundCloud
https://on.soundcloud.com/ayqVE

But I'm really impressed with the sound quality. I don't recall Surge XT sounding this good for me in 159.
Last edited by empphryio on Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It seemed to me and some other OSCers that Surge has become more pleasant since the last time. A few of my old patches were changed/broken, so I think they really did something to the engine. There are more options, but so far it's not too much) I like the variety of the twist oscillator (in Cardinal I spent the most time with these modules) as well as the string (actually, much more than the string), so I want to go way the physical modeling of real (and not so much) instruments.

It might take up a lot of space if we start sharing our tracks, so I'll attach a playlist of the last Surge OSC for anyone interested.

https://soundcloud.com/kvrosc/sets/one- ... -159-surge

Hi everyone. :phones:
Well, at the beginning of the month I was completely out of ideas. Surge XT, then, is not really one of my favorite synths despite being very fond of my song from round #159. However, I wanted at all costs to honor OSC 15th and DoctorBob's 10th anniversaries :hail: and having just finished a song that I liked, i thought about adapting it for OSC, even if against my rules: the only other time I tried to do it I struggled more than expected and achieved a terrible result.

...this time however I am quite satisfied.

--- sumbission ---

JOURNEY MATTERS

https://soundcloud.com/zio-mau/journey- ... al_sharing

where in Reaper 7 i used...

Instruments:
22x VST3i: Surge XT (Surge Synth Team) (2->6ch)

Effects:
1x VST3: ALLHaas (Mrugalla)
1x VST3: Solaris (Adam Szabo)
1x VST3: TILTA (AnalogObsession)
1x VST3: ValhallaSupermassive (Valhalla DSP, LLC)
2x VST: DD Limiter (Dead Duck Software)
1x VST: Dub Delay - TAL (x86) (TAL - Togu Audio Line)
1x VST: HY-Filter (hyakken)
1x VST: MSED (Voxengo)
2x VST: OrilRiver (Denis Tihanov)
5x VST: ReaComp (Cockos)
1x VST: ReaDelay (Cockos)
10x VST: ReaEQ (Cockos)
1x VST: TAL Reverb 4 Plugin (TAL-Togu Audio Line)
3x VST: Wider (Polyverse Music)
2x VST: kHs Transient Shaper (Kilohearts)

Midi Effects:
3x JS: MIDI Note Filter
4x JS: MIDI Velocity Control
1x VSTi: Kirnu (Arto Vaarala)
1x VSTi: NoteMapper (CodeFN42)
1x VSTi: VeloScaler (CodeFN42)
1x VSTi: midiNoteRepeater (Insert Piz Here)
1x VST: Humanisator (x86) (Tobybear)

Master Chain:
1x VST3: BUSTERse (AnalogObsession)
1x VST3: TILTA (AnalogObsession)
1x VST: TDR Nova (Tokyo Dawn Labs)
1x VST3: TesslaPROmkIV (Variety Of Sound)
1x VST: Roth-AIR (Rothmann)
1x VST: LoudMax 64bit (Thomas Mundt)

Metering:
1x VST3: TDR Prism (Tokyo Dawn Labs)
1x VST: Youlean Loudness Meter (Youlean) (6ch)
1x VST: SPAN (Voxengo) (8ch)
1x VST: MStereoScope (MeldaProduction)

See you around here and...ciaooooooo! :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ZioMau on Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IV! wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:54 pmA few of my old patches were changed/broken, so I think they really did something to the engine.
Could you please send us those patches, we're curious? Generally we strive not to do any breaking changes to the sound (unless things were horribly wrong for some reason, which happened very few times). So we should investigate this!

Happy anniversary and many, many thanks for keeping up this wonderful part of our world! Here's my quite apocalyptic entry for this Surge XT OSC.

Surge XT: 25 instances
DAW: Cubase Pro 13
Free Reverbs: SunBurnt (Unplug.red), Dragonfly Hall (Michael Willis), Raum (NI).
Free delay: Deelay (Sixth Sample)
Free EQ: Graphic EQ (Viator DSP)
Free compressor/limiter: Sonicrusher (Linda Audio), Lens (Auburn Sounds)

https://soundcloud.com/thesoundofmerlin ... nce-osc181

+++ Submisison +++

Blue Glowing Man Dance Experience 2024

https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/blue ... ience-2024

It has passed the Headphone/Speaker/Car and Wife-Tapping-Foot-Test. Lacks "composition" as always ... ha ha ha.

Details:
45 Surge XT 1.3.1 (Clap version)
Bitwig 5.1.x plus the usual Bitwig FX, Delay+, Dynamics, Modulators, you name it.
3rd party: MCompressor, MEqualizer, OTT, Auburn Lense, LoudMax, TDR Nova, Supermassive
Mixing Support: ISOL8, PsyScope free, Reflex Acoustics FREE Dynamic Range Meter, Youlean.
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Plugin Tipp ... for windows users
You might remember that I have suggested "Sub Ninja" a few weeks ago - It's a plugin to visually check out the spearation of kick drum and sub bass. It helped me a lot to get an punchy an clean low end...

Now I have checked whether Sub Ninja, which was only free for a limited period of time, can be simulated by free stuff only. And yes it can, at least for windows users.

I have combined ISOL8 (my go to 5-band splitter which I use for bass solo mixing for instance) and Psyscope (tempo synced 4-channel oscilloscope, free version VST2 only).
I have put both in a Bitwig Chain, placed the chain in the master and set the mix of the chain to zero. Then you can solo the bass band in ISOL8 and get a visual of your bass in PsyScope... pretty neat I think

] Peter:H [ wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:42 pm +++ Submisison +++

Blue Glowing Man Dance Experience 2024

https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/blue ... ience-2024

It has passed the Headphone/Speaker/Car and Wife-Tapping-Foot-Test. Lacks "composition" as always ... ha ha ha.

Details to be added later.
Superb sound and attention to detail - as always Peter.
I'm curious though - why do you always submit half way through the month? Why do you not use the full time given to produce the song? Just curious :)
Captain Silverpants

Return to “Instruments”