One Synth Challenge #181: Surge (Voting Started!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Happy anniversary!
Surge XT is a great choice!
SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

Doctor Bob has been in OSC for 10 years and never missed one competition since then. That's quite an achievement. Doctor Bob, you are a legend. Congratulations!!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

These are 10 claps for the ten years Doctor Bob has been in OSC. I wanted to do 120 claps for each entry, but the maximum number of claps I can put is 30.

Happy 15th Anniversary!! :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

This has been an amazing competition.

I can't believe it's going to be a year since I posted my very first track.

SynthDX7 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:44 am Doctor Bob has been in OSC for 10 years and never missed one competition since then.
Congratulations Doctor! :party:
★★★ One can enjoy a wood fire worthily only when he warms his thoughts by it as well as his hands and feet. ★★★

Oh my god, I'm so happy.
Let the real king shine. Surge XT is such a labor of love.
If you never tried it, please give it a go.
https://soundcloud.com/vospi
I love music, worked with a number of music/rhythm/dance games like Pump It Up, In The Groove, Cytus and Deemo, and teach music production.

Why not Surge XT, the latest and greatest?

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:30 am Why not Surge XT, the latest and greatest?
Any version of Surge can be used, most non-masochists will use XT... although...

Question for BJ or Richard - can we use the VCV Rack Surge XT modules?

neverbeeninariot wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:01 am Question for BJ or Richard - can we use the VCV Rack Surge XT modules?
Yes. Any version of Surge can be used.
Audio from any other sound source or samples is as usual prohibited

Can I also mix XT and VCV modules?

Thanks for highlighting Surge XT and Surge XT for VCV Rack again, and congratulations on your successful run of challenges! We'll lurk here if folks get stuck but our discord (which has a link from the about screen in the VST) is a great place for realtime help from the community too.

As to free preset packs, most of them have been contributed to releases and are in the third party library now. There's some others around but we ship with nearly 2000, with the third party ones highlighting some of the more modern features.

Have fun!

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:39 pm Can I also mix XT and VCV modules?
Yeah a bit of clarity here would be super. I took the rules to mean "anything which you plumb to audio out must have the signal generated by surge" but things like CV (so if, say, you use a Bog LFO or shapemaster) or mixing (so like mixmaster) are also fine in a patch. But I don't make the rules!

If it's helpful, but again I don't make the rules, I would propose for rack something like "audio rate signals are surge modules only except for mixing and routing; CV and modulation controls (anything hooked up to a v/oct or mod or gate input in surge modules) can be from elsewhere" rule. That would mean that surge xt in rack was a lot like surge xt in bitwig, where you could use the built in modulators and note manipulators and sends and stuff.

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:39 pm Can I also mix XT and VCV modules?
This begs another question - Can we use VCV Rack Pro (the only version that supports being loaded as a plugin), as a host within a host (e.g. loaded in Reaper), to access the Surge XT modules, and perhaps also using it as an effect with free FX modules ?

I think the Surge XT modules are available in Cardinal, which can run as a plugin (for free), but VCV Rack has the benefit of all the Airwindows FX plugins available in a single module (thanks baconpaul and jinxter for this!).
Last edited by neverbeeninariot on Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

<fat fingers>

neverbeeninariot wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:17 pm VCV Rack has the benefit of all the Airwindows FX plugins available in a single module (thanks baconpaul and jinxter for this!).
Whoa, I haven't realized Airwindows isn't available in Cardinal. It's an epic collection and module to have in VCV form, for sure!

Return to “Instruments”