Windows 11: better audio performance?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I read that 11 has better audio performance than 10. I went with 10 when I built this machine because at the time, UAD didn’t support it, but now it does. I actually tried to upgrade, but it failed. No idea why. I’m wondering if it’s worth troubleshooting, or should I just punt and stick to 10.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:04 pm I actually tried to upgrade, but it failed. No idea why.
Try to do an "inplace upgrade". Download the Media Creation Tool from here: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2156295 , start it, and write the image to a USB stick, and when it's finished, click the setup.exe on the stick.

Make sure you choose the correct options during the upgrade process, like, keeping your apps and personal files, otherwise the upgrade will delete your apps and personal files on your computer.

chk071 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:07 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:04 pm I actually tried to upgrade, but it failed. No idea why.
Try to do an "inplace upgrade". Download the Media Creation Tool from here: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2156295 , start it, and write the image to a USB stick, and when it's finished, click the setup.exe on the stick.
Yeah, that was my next step, but I wanted to make sure that there was a benefit to having 11 first. I’m having trouble finding consistent advice on the topic. Do you think it’s worth doing?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I didn't have any problems moving from Win10 to Win11 (apart from yet another UI/UX change for no benefit to the end user, which is par for the course). No noticeable impact on performance but your OS life expectancy is extended somewhat.

I can't really tell as this computer came with Windows 11. I can't imagine that it has significantly better audio performance, or performance in general though. If anything then in the low one-digit percent range.

What you get it more future proof (Windows 10 is end of life in mid 2025), and better operation (alone the new UI for activating or switching your wireless connection, bluetooth and audio is worth it IMO).

I would do it, but, your call, of course. I recently also upgraded my laptop to Windows 11, although it has a non supported CPU (i5 7th gen), and, it works flawless. If your hardware is supported by Windows 11, I would say that it's pretty much a no-brainer.

I had 10 then bought a new laptop with 11 and I have to say there was a noticeable notch up in sound quality. Same driver, different manufacturer, but I don't think that matters because I use headphones mainly. I'll also tell you that means everything has to be spot on. Little mistakes you could leave and be smeared over now glares.

If the sound quality of a setup varies according to the OS version, this is very bad news, meaning that some (old) OS are crappy. It does not look professional, does it?

I hope that drivers quality increases according to the OS versions and that it is the final explanation.

I’ve given up. Not even updating from a USB image works. Thanks everyone, but I no longer care.
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:47 pm I’ve given up. Not even updating from a USB image works. Thanks everyone, but I no longer care.
Do you use a third party security software? If so, then note that it can cause problems like that.

chk071 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:06 am
zerocrossing wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:47 pm I’ve given up. Not even updating from a USB image works. Thanks everyone, but I no longer care.
Do you use a third party security software? If so, then note that it can cause problems like that.
No, just Windows Defender. I think I’m going to try and run a disc repair program. Any recommendation?
Zerocrossing Media

Start with the built in tools.

I dunno about better audio performance of OS, but new RME > 20 years old pci m-audio for sure :D
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

I've heard that Windows 11 might get MIDI 2.0 this year. With this they'll completely replace the old MIDI stack and a few of the new improvements will also apply to MIDI 1, like better performance and multi-client streams.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/windows-music-dev/
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

Fannon wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:30 am I've heard that Windows 11 might get MIDI 2.0 this year. With this they'll completely replace the old MIDI stack and a few of the new improvements will also apply to MIDI 1, like better performance and multi-client streams.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/windows-music-dev/
Can you explain to a layman (in layman terms) what that means exactly? I was under the impression that MIDI 2.0 is handled by the respective audio software and hardware. Does the implementation have to do with class compliancy, and plug & play, so you don't need special drivers for your hardware or something?

My AMD tower would NOT at all take the Windows 10 upgrade. Well, it did but then ALL the USB things attached went berserk.The Intel laptop just updated without a hiccup though. The tower finally just got rolled back and had to stay. And I tried every version of the 10 upgrade.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”