Guitar Pedal Noise: How To Remove?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Guitar pedals introduce noise . . . some more than others. For guitarists who'd like to keep all the tone a pedal has to offer, but without the added noise, how/what/where to remove the unwanted stuff? Pedal, (other hardware), interface, DAW, _____?

More pedals to remove pedal noise? Its like taking medicine for side effects of other meds. 😂

thecontrolcentre wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:01 am If yiu prefer . . .
Very cool that there is software dedicated to this specific issue. Ever try?

It's nothing magic about a noise gate
- if total volume is below a certain value it just mutes output
- and some settings to decide which threshold and how fast to mute/unmute

oh, a noise gate. we could clean up manually. But the noise would still be there, just partially masked by tone

iZotope RX (specifically the Guitar Denoise, Spectral Denoise, and De-Hum modules)
Acon Digital Restoration Suite

For noise gate pedals, I highly recommend getting one with an effects loop, which is designed specifically for isolating your noisy pedals:

Boss NS-1X
MXR Noise Clamp
Electro Harmonix Silencer

It depends where the noise is coming from.

Some of my pedals cleaned up nicely when I upgraded to a high-end power supply. Other pedals are just badly engineered or intrinsically noisy. The worst offenders send noise into your other pedals via the ground: isolated power helps with this. Bad patch cables can also be an issue.

The guitar may benefit from better shielding. But single-coil pickups will still get some hum. Standing further away from computer monitors and some light fittings helps with my single-coil guitars.

good power supply for one.
quality cables.

my chain of pedals, even all on, aside from "noise/dirt" pedals, no intrusive noise is added to the signal.

you need to work out which pedal is adding the noise, then we can work out the whys and fixes.

I have the Gup Tech 'MWAC' noise suppressor... it allows the 4-cable method, which is what you want (many other noise suppressors have this feature). Unless I want a really tight rhythm chug, rarely do I have it up more than quarter way. Has no effect on tone when that low (to my ears), and zero hisss or anything. And I run some hi-gain gear.

That looks great. I see that their SUN gate uses the clean signal for detection, does yours do that, as well? Why did you choose that one over the SUN?

btw, I think the MXR and EHX gates detect off the looped signal, which is definitely not as good.

Return to “Guitars”