New Macs for audio

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Always best to avoid updating Macs right away. It’s been this way for years. The updates never live up to Apple’s promises, anyway.

Ouch..lol
But Indeed.
but once that red flag comes up in settings in my dock bar, I can't help myself.. it annoys me and I 'must comply' :).
You use to be able to disable it a few generations of OS's ago but not anymore afaik.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:39 pm Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 10.40.50 AM.jpg

Except... one developer, Kilohearts, also report issues and they don't use ilok so it may not just be ilok related only.
rsp
Reboots caused by audio plugins?

Apple breaks something on occasion, but it gets fixed fairly quickly. Whereas Windows never worked in the first place.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

uOpt wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:07 pm

Except... one developer, Kilohearts, also report issues and they don't use ilok so it may not just be ilok related only.
rsp
Reboots caused by audio plugins?
I haven't experienced it myself.. I have their plugins but dont' use them daily, but I did try phase plant yesterday for a bit when i got their email and saw the discord statement and didn't have an issue in Cubendo.
rsp
sound sculptist

BONES wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:56 pm
Jac459 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:24 amThat's a good point and I am pretty pissed about it but to be fair, it is the first time I see such issue since I moved to Mac in 2021.
Wow, a whole couple of years without being f**ked over by Apple. That must be some kind of record. Go and have a look at all the threads about the upheaval of moving to Apple Silicon - that was 3 or 4 years ago now and there are still some plugins that need Rosetta. Go back a bit further to Catalina and the clusterfuck that was for so many users.

OTOH, you have to go back 17 years, to Windows Vista, to find anything anywhere near as troubling for PC users. Microsoft learned a very valuable lesson back then and won't be keen to repeat it, where Apple know that they can bend their customers over on a whim and they'll be more than happy to take whatever rogering Apple feels like giving them.
Well the move to apple silicon is a totally different story and for clear technical reason they could not have done it differently and for your info windows moving to ARM will have the exact same problem for the exact same technical reasons. After you can disagree about them moving to ARM but I think it was a damn f**king good move and about the only reason why I switched to Apple.

Who cares that they couldn't have done it differently, they didn't have to do it at all. Microsoft's efforts with ARM are the perfect counter-point - they didn't one day decide to ditch Intel and force everyone to move to ARM-based PCs, they simply offer it as an alternative for anyone who might be interested. It is an excellent illustration of Apple's indifference to its users needs. They do what suits them and users can like it or f**k off.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

pascual wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:40 pm How are this performing with 8g of ram vs 16-32?
i worked with 8GB of RAM on my M1 for something like 2 years.
but i knew what i was doing when i bought it.

If you can afford to go 16GB, even if it hurts, I´d do it.
I´d not suggest to anybody to go with 8GB. But there is allready so and so much doable with just 8GB.
16GB is fine for alots of things vs. music making.
My next one will have 32GB of RAM.

the other day i wanted to load a longer audio recording into "FActorsynth 3".
this alone would have required to give away 7GB of RAM !
but i was allready on 13.5GB or so, used RAM.
16GB leaves not that much space either.

BONES wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:13 pm Who cares that they couldn't have done it differently, they didn't have to do it at all. Microsoft's efforts with ARM are the perfect counter-point - they didn't one day decide to ditch Intel and force everyone to move to ARM-based PCs, they simply offer it as an alternative for anyone who might be interested. It is an excellent illustration of Apple's indifference to its users needs. They do what suits them and users can like it or f**k off.
Apple still supports Intel Macs. The current version of MacOS runs on Apple Silicon and Intel Macs from the past 7 years.

But look at the situation with Apple and Intel. Intel chips were the weakest link in the Mac. They were holding Apple back from building the computers they wanted to. They ran hot, which means they were not silent. They were limited in processing power and available cores. Mac apps and iPad apps were not cross-compatible. There were supply-chain issues that limited the number of Intel Macs they could produce, and raised the prices to ridiculous levels.

Today, a $4,000 M3 MacBook smokes a $40,000 Intel Mac Pro from just a few years ago.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

BONES wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:13 pm Who cares that they couldn't have done it differently, they didn't have to do it at all. Microsoft's efforts with ARM are the perfect counter-point - they didn't one day decide to ditch Intel and force everyone to move to ARM-based PCs, they simply offer it as an alternative for anyone who might be interested. It is an excellent illustration of Apple's indifference to its users needs. They do what suits them and users can like it or f**k off.
Yes... You are probably right. But you are talking about the company. Some products may still be good regardless of the shitty decisions the board of directors took on how to disrespect long term users...

That's exactly why I will never get into a unique ecosystem.

Can you just NOT poison every discussion with your anti-Apple bullshit? You made your point here years ago and everybody knows what you think. You sound like a broken record. The same thing over and over again. Grow up.

I'm in the market for a new desktop computer right now, and as much as I like Apple's processors, breaking changes and inability to upgrade/repair their machines isn't something I want to deal with and support anymore. The choices are a bit overwhelming on the PC side in terms of the components but I hope it's worth it in the end.

Jac459 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:53 amBut you are talking about the company. Some products may still be good regardless of the shitty decisions the board of directors took on how to disrespect long term users...
Theoretically, perhaps, but this is the real world and we see first-hand, far too regularly, how badly Apple will f**k their users over to make their own lives easier. e.g. How did user's benefit from Apple's decision to remove support for 32 bit applications in macOS? It was a good move for Apple, making it much easier to maintain the codebase, but all it did was f**k users around, in a mad scramble to find (and presumably pay money for) alternatives to software they may have relied upon for many years.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

jamcat wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:12 pm Apple breaks something on occasion, but it gets fixed fairly quickly. Whereas Windows never worked in the first place.
Totally, windoze PCs are all just dead boxes stuck under a desk somewhere until they go into landfill.

rsp
Seems this too was ilok related.
rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”