Speedrum 2 beta

Official support for: apisoniclabs.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Speedrum 2

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer all these questions. :tu:
The gif explaining how to load several samples was really helpful. I wasn't aware of that possibilty, and it's great that Speedrum 2 has got that feature.
apisonic wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:55 pm Currently, Mute and Solo are for audio output, but not for midi output... but now that you mentioned it, I'll see what can be done about it.
Awesome! :tu:

One more thing I have noticed: Open Speedrum 2, resize it, close it. Open it again - it's back at 100%. So, it doesn't seem to remember the GUI size. Has anyone else experienced this?

Oh, and yes, the reverb is definitely not one of the highlights ... (IIRC one of the predecessor versions, maybe even a Lite version, had a better sounding reverb).

e-musician wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:57 am One more thing I have noticed: Open Speedrum 2, resize it, close it. Open it again - it's back at 100%. So, it doesn't seem to remember the GUI size. Has anyone else experienced this?
It's a bug!
e-musician wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:57 am Oh, and yes, the reverb is definitely not one of the highlights ... (IIRC one of the predecessor versions, maybe even a Lite version, had a better sounding reverb).
Reverb is exactly the same in all versions. Simple, generic. I will probably add another type of reverb to the send effects in the future.

apisonic wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:40 amReverb is exactly the same in all versions. Simple, generic. I will probably add another type of reverb to the send effects in the future.
A convolution reverb module could be interesting : it would allow the user to quickly give different flavours to the drumkits (lush, vintage, etc).

e-musician wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:57 am

One more thing I have noticed: Open Speedrum 2, resize it, close it. Open it again - it's back at 100%. So, it doesn't seem to remember the GUI size. Has anyone else experienced this?
yeah that's happening with me too

e-musician wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:57 am Oh, and yes, the reverb is definitely not one of the highlights ... (IIRC one of the predecessor versions, maybe even a Lite version, had a better sounding reverb).

I wonder why the reverb has LP, but no HP. Because Damping and LP are kinda similar, a HP instead of LP would make more sense IMO.

A small but important seq feature would be: inividual velocity for step subdivisions (aka repeats). Now, without that, the repeats sound mostly annoying.

And further seq suggestions:
. more flexibility in pattern length (please per line, for polyrhythms),
. pattern "templates" per line for quick creating e.g.:
o---o---o---o--- bassdrums and o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o- hihats, and even more complex..,
. "shapes" over the value lane for velocity, etc., at least a linear ramp up/down,
more parameters for these lane, e.g. pitch.
Last edited by orbeater on Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

orbeater wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:49 pm A small but important seq feature would be: inividual velocity for step subdivisions (aka repeats). Now, without, the repeats sound mostly annoying.
yes, that would be a great addition to the repeats

The following is meant absolutely constructive, Speedrum is already great, but...

to be honest, i found TAL-Drum the better, and last week i was very close to buy it, but then your new beta appeared. So, i decided to take a closer look. It seems to become a great update, but there are issues. Compared directly with TAL-Drum, at least the following:

- no undo/redo
- no "in-place preview" for browsing samples, just the auto-load
(that's NOT temporary, and can damage the kit, if you forget it's active!)
- the slicer lacks important functions, especially midi export the respective groove
- cut groups only 8, seems comparatively few to the 64 voicegroups in TAL-Drum, which additional have polyphony and round-robin
- velocity curve globally only (per pad in TD)
- master output overlays indiv. output 01, confusing
- no sample-loop function (per layer in TD)
- no comb-filter
- no LFO, assignable spline envelope, mod matrix (per layer in TD)
- no sampling (recording)
- no "make chromatic" ability for one pad (like MPC's 16 levels pitch)
- no automation controller, no "panel mode" (to clean up external control issues)
- midi learn not lock-able?
- GUI layout looks a bit flat and messy, but maybe that's subjective
(but a 64-pads overview would be cool anyway)

if i'm wrong with one or more of that, please let me know. peace!

deleted
Last edited by replicant X on Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Each DAW has a different sound.

orbeater wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:21 pm The following is meant absolutely constructive, Speedrum is already great, but...

to be honest, i found TAL-Drum the better, and last week i was very close to buy it, but then your new beta appeared. So, i decided to take a closer look. It seems to become a great update, but there are issues. Compared directly with TAL-Drum, at least the following:

- no undo/redo
- no "in-place preview" for browsing samples, just the auto-load
(that's NOT temporary, and can damage the kit, if you forget it's active!)
- the slicer lacks important functions, especially midi export the respective groove
- cut groups only 8, seems comparatively few to the 64 voicegroups in TAL-Drum, which additional have polyphony and round-robin
- velocity curve globally only (per pad in TD)
- master output overlays indiv. output 01, confusing
- no sample-loop function (per layer in TD)
- no comb-filter
- no LFO, assignable spline envelope, mod matrix (per layer in TD)
- no sampling (recording)
- no "make chromatic" ability for one pad (like MPC's 16 levels pitch)
- no automation controller, no "panel mode" (to clean up external control issues)
- midi learn not lock-able?
- GUI layout looks a bit flat and messy, but maybe that's subjective
(but a 64-pads overview would be cool anyway)

if i'm wrong with one or more of that, please let me know. peace!
"better" is very subjective... are apples better than oranges ;)
I would say that both are excellent choices.

Anyway, Speedrum is a living thing and development does not stop, v2 is just a slightly bigger update, and if you followed the development of v1 until now, you would know that you can expect a lot more to come in the 2.x updates

beta 3

fixed ladder filter initialization
fixed (linux) mouse misbehavior on mseg points
fixed not preserving window size on gui reopening
fixed sequencer playback when host is looping on some hosts
fixed pattern midi drag&drop to host on Logic (on Arm)
fixed resetting seq params on new kit
fixed save/load seq params state
fixed pad import through internal browser
fixed layer has no sound after slice
load sequencer state by default on kit load
dsp optimizations

apisonic wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:56 am
"better" is very subjective... are apples better than oranges ;)
I would say that both are excellent choices.

Anyway, Speedrum is a living thing and development does not stop, v2 is just a slightly bigger update, and if you followed the development of v1 until now, you would know that you can expect a lot more to come in the 2.x updates
Thanks for your reply. I agree. Surely they both are excellent, and not exactly comparable. The differences in their workflow are even necessary to cover individual needs.
My above listed points are just for making an overview of what were possibillities to add features, inspired by a similar product.
Glad to read that there are plans for a lot more development.
But i have not yet decided which to buy.
I actually have noticed the same amount of "pro points" for both! That's why i try to get here more infos or suggestions, maybe on particular points.
But in the end, it's subjective, again. ;)

This looks fantastic.
Is there a way to play the individual slices in the slicer with midi pads/keys?
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

TheMaestro wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:36 pm This looks fantastic.
Currently not

apisonic wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:57 pm
TheMaestro wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:36 pm This looks fantastic.
Currently not
Ok. Thanks for answering.
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

Return to “Apisonic Labs”