Speedrum 2 beta

Official support for: apisoniclabs.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Speedrum 2

mdstudio wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:44 pm Any plans to change that? That's one of my issues with TAL Drum... It would allow searching for e.g. all snares across different sample packs.
It was planned, but so far I haven't been able to get a satisfactory speed of subfolder scanning... I haven't given up on it yet, but I can't promise anything.

It could even behave like Reaper, or Atlas/XO where you have a local db that would need to be refreshed when you add new samples. That way the search would be fast and you could match on whatever you include in the db. For example, you could match the search term to the full relative path, so searching for "cymatics kick" would find all kicks in any of the Cymatics packs without having to manually go into that folder. Maybe even allow saving it as a tag so that next time you don't even need to type it. Just a few ideas. 🙂

mdstudio wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:16 pm It could even behave like Reaper, or Atlas/XO where you have a local db that would need to be refreshed when you add new samples. That way the search would be fast and you could match on whatever you include in the db. For example, you could match the search term to the full relative path, so searching for "cymatics kick" would find all kicks in any of the Cymatics packs without having to manually go into that folder. Maybe even allow saving it as a tag so that next time you don't even need to type it. Just a few ideas. 🙂
Yes, the database would be another way to do it, much more powerful but also requires a lot more dev time to make it right... so we'll see, all options are open

Brittlestem wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:43 am
The reverb is Bad.
Does this mean it's good? :?

Great job, keep it up.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

wintoid wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:23 pm Instant buy. Awesome. MIDI out too, so very happy with this.

Minor bug report - If I'm synced with Bitwig, and Bitwig set to loop whilst I work on a drum sequence, there's a phasing or something on the first beat when the (Bitwig) loop restarts.
Thanks for the bug report! On which operating system?

apisonic wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:43 am Speedrum 2 is here! public beta
https://www.apisonic-audio.com/

v2.0.0 What's new:
+ 64 Pads with 16 Layers
+ Pads and Layers Mixer
+ Pad EQ and Filter envelope
+ Layer MSEG Volume envelope
+ Buses system with Mixer and Bus FX
+ Note Sequencer with patterns, randomization, recording...
+ New Browser with unlimited favorites, file filter...
+ huge number of smaller additions and improvements

The beta version is available for download and purchase.
While it is in beta, the price is €59, while the regular price will be €99.
The upgrade for v1 owners is €25, for everyone who bought v1 a month ago, i.e. after February 1, 2024, the upgrade is free.

Speedrum v2 has a different signature than v1, which means that v2 does not replace v1 in existing host states, you can have both installed and used at the same time.
I have a question. Is Speedrum now finally able to use both layers AND round-robins at the same time? If not, could we get a feature request that makes it possible to do what TAL-Drum does, and select groups of pads to work together as a single drum with each pad of the group acting as a round robin hit?

For example, I'd like to use a drum set that has 16 velocity layers with round robins for each drum. TAL-Drum allows one to group several pads together and assign them as the same drum, with each pad being cycled through (with different samples of the same drum hit) of a particular drum assignment--example: 4 pads grouped as a single "snare" drum, with 16 velocity layers for each of the 4 pads would effectively be a single 16 velocity snare drum with 4 round-robins at each of the 16 velocity layers of that snare drum.

I hope what I'm saying makes sense. I hope even more that there is already a way to maintain 16 velocity layers and have round robins for that drum right now. If there is, please let me know! :)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

If I understood correctly, you have 16 velocity layers where each velocity layer has 4 round-robin samples, which is then equal to 64 samples for snare? Is it already possible with TAL-Drum, or not, but you ask me if it would be possible with Speedrum?
I'm not sure, but I can give you an idea of what to try to play with... this is one pad with 16 layers set to round-robin with respect to the velocity on, so by combining 4 such pads that are set to be triggered by the same note, and by manually adjusting all velocities, you might be able to achieve what you want
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Can you record samples, like in Geist?

apisonic wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:15 pm If I understood correctly, you have 16 velocity layers where each velocity layer has 4 round-robin samples, which is then equal to 64 samples for snare? Is it already possible with TAL-Drum, or not, but you ask me if it would be possible with Speedrum?
I'm not sure, but I can give you an idea of what to try to play with... this is one pad with 16 layers set to round-robin with respect to the velocity on, so by combining 4 such pads that are set to be triggered by the same note, and by manually adjusting all velocities, you might be able to achieve what you want
TAL-Drum has the ability to group drum pads and treat the group as a single drum pad. However, TAL-Drum has only 4 layers. I was hoping, since your drum vst has 16 layers, I might be able to do the same thing, but with 16 layers. If I understand you correctly, it looks like it might work. Let me see if I understand what you are doing in your picture:

In your picture, you are assigning 4 groups of 4 layers and assigning each of those 4 layers a particular velocity range and telling it to round-robin play each hit. Then assumingly, you would be assigning another pad with 4 groups of 4 layers, and doing the same thing, except with different velocity ranges. Then, you would be doing the same thing with two additional pads, each with differing velocity ranges. You would then be assigning them all to the same midi channel. So, in effect, through using 4 pads, a single drum can effectively have 16 velocity ranges with 4 round-robins with each range.

If this works, this sounds exactly like what I am wanting! :)

Does this actually work in Speedrum for multiple pads, and can the velocity ranges be adjusted manually (with the ability to see the number values) for the ranges being set?
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

audiojunkie wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:33 am TAL-Drum has the ability to group drum pads and treat the group as a single drum pad. However, TAL-Drum has only 4 layers. I was hoping, since your drum vst has 16 layers, I might be able to do the same thing, but with 16 layers. If I understand you correctly, it looks like it might work. Let me see if I understand what you are doing in your picture:

In your picture, you are assigning 4 groups of 4 layers and assigning each of those 4 layers a particular velocity range and telling it to round-robin play each hit. Then assumingly, you would be assigning another pad with 4 groups of 4 layers, and doing the same thing, except with different velocity ranges. Then, you would be doing the same thing with two additional pads, each with differing velocity ranges. You would then be assigning them all to the same midi channel. So, in effect, through using 4 pads, a single drum can effectively have 16 velocity ranges with 4 round-robins with each range.

If this works, this sounds exactly like what I am wanting! :)

Does this actually work in Speedrum for multiple pads, and can the velocity ranges be adjusted manually (with the ability to see the number values) for the ranges being set?
That's exactly it! And of course, velocity ranges can be set manually, even at once for a group of selected layers.

simmo75 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:52 pm Can you record samples, like in Geist?
Not currently, but it is planned to be implemented

Wow! This looks really comprehensive indeed!

A few niggles I can see from just looking at the excellent website and the pictures. It seems like there is only a "mono" button. Would it be possible to implement it as a knob/slider/editable value instead that is a simple mid/side system that goes from 0% (=mono) all the way to 200% (=sides only)?

Can the sequencer have different ticks per track? This would enable easy poly rhythms. It isn't mentioned on the website so I assume it can't?

Other than these things you've created a real beast here! Looks like THE most comprehensive drum plugin on the market as far as I can tell without demoing it yet. I really like how you've solved the layering. Looks like it's really easy to get complex layers going. Now I assume there is round robin? Would it be also possible to do "play random but not previously <x> played sample" as an option too? This could be very useful for complex snare rolls where you don't want the random to trigger the previous two or three samples.. this would very effectively mitigate machine gun issues.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:43 am Wow! This looks really comprehensive indeed!

A few niggles I can see from just looking at the excellent website and the pictures. It seems like there is only a "mono" button. Would it be possible to implement it as a knob/slider/editable value instead that is a simple mid/side system that goes from 0% (=mono) all the way to 200% (=sides only)?

Can the sequencer have different ticks per track? This would enable easy poly rhythms. It isn't mentioned on the website so I assume it can't?

Other than these things you've created a real beast here! Looks like THE most comprehensive drum plugin on the market as far as I can tell without demoing it yet. I really like how you've solved the layering. Looks like it's really easy to get complex layers going. Now I assume there is round robin? Would it be also possible to do "play random but not previously <x> played sample" as an option too? This could be very useful for complex snare rolls where you don't want the random to trigger the previous two or three samples.. this would very effectively mitigate machine gun issues.
If you mean the control on the layer, it depends on whether a stereo sample is loaded.

Different ticks per track has not been implemented yet, but it will most likely be in one of the next updates.

Round-robin is of course there, as well as random, also velocity layers...

But you can simply download it and try it yourself :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Congratulations! This is a great update!

One bug I noticed is when I grab the right handle of the envelope (yellow point) of a pad it jumps to the start of the envelope. When I grab it and move it to the right part of the waveform it disappears. I can init the envelope but it happens again. I'm using Speedrum on Linux with Reaper. Thanks.
Last edited by swindus on Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Apisonic Labs”