Spanish guitar rhythm tutorial question

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been practising guitar for a month and wanted to learn a spanish rhythm.

I've really benefited from this video but, to me the strum pattern is different in the intro.

The intro strum pattern, from my own playing, seems to be:

down, up, down..mute strings, then (light notes next) up down up - then quick repeat.

Whereas in the video tutorial, he shows:
down, up, down, up, mute strings, up down up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqe517A28fA

Thanks

He does both. Inconsistencies like that are common in flamenco. Just get the technique and the rhythm will come naturally to you.

Uncle E wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:43 am He does both. Inconsistencies like that are common in flamenco. Just get the technique and the rhythm will come naturally to you.
The only way I've been able to achieve the rhythm in the first demo clip is with the strumming pattern I suggested, hoping someone familiar can let me know if I'm right or wrong. It's purely out of interest, I'm aware it's more about the rhythm.

Thanks.

He’s doing two things:

down, down, up, mute strings, up down up
and
down, up, down, up, mute strings, up down up

Is that all within the demo song at the start?
I did also notice he seems to have overlaid a loop percussion to it also.

Basically yes. He's throwing in random rasgueados. Again, all stuff that comes naturally to a flamenco player, nothing you need to replicate flawlessly. I was taught flamenco by a gypsy and he was constantly changing what he was playing. "No, you need to do like this" and then he'd play something different than what he showed me 10 seconds earlier. :D

Return to “Guitars”