iZotope Trash Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Trash

Sometimes I think there is too much unwarranted negativity here. But this isn't one of those times.

I just wanted Trash 2 with a modern interface, because T2 is the most fully featured distortion plugin ever... That's what makes it great. It just needs a UI upgrade. Just do that and New Trash would have been a massive success. Instead iZotope releases a scaled down version of the much more innovative predecessor from decade and a half ago? What kind of incompetance is this?

I'm not rewarding Private Equity investors for this kind of low effort money grab. This plugin looks like the type that gets bought and then just rots away in the VST folder unused. Only thing that would make this less desirable to me is if it was subscription only. I'm sure that's coming soon, right after they acquire a few more plugin companies.

and sack a few more coders 😁
No auto tune...

I just bought it yesterday. With discounts, some deluxe bucks and $<->€ rate it was 18€ for me, which I couldn‘t resist.

Well, there are some ideas, which I like, like the x/y-morph thing, controllable with an envelope. On the other side it is gross, how less Trash offers in terms of features compared to Trash 2.

Does it that make a bad tool? No, I like it, it seems to bring a lot of fun.

Should they offer it as Trash? Also no. This arouses the expectation, that it‘s kind of a successor to Trash 2, but it is in no way. It‘s a complete different tool.

SamDi wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:55 am iZotope Trash Released
Me, having not heard of IZotope Trash before, wondering why OP would be throwing shade like that

orpheusfx wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:07 am
SamDi wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:55 am iZotope Trash Released
Me, having not heard of IZotope Trash before, wondering why OP would be throwing shade like that

What is the shade in the OP’s message?

I think he meant that he initially understood the thread-title to mean that Izotope released some new plugin the OP considered to be trash. :-)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

as others, i think it´s an entirely new product freshly coded, probably by different people ?
feels so to me so, overall. They even hint at it with it´s name, no ?

Well, F 'em then, I won't be upgrading if they just made it worse. I still use Trash 2 and it looks like I still will.

I'm trying to think of another effect plugin that has distortion and convolution. Are there any?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:55 pm I'm trying to think of another effect plugin that has distortion and convolution. Are there any?
Well, for starters, just about any amp-sim plugin out there... :lol:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:38 pm
Dirtgrain wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:55 pm I'm trying to think of another effect plugin that has distortion and convolution. Are there any?
Well, for starters, just about any amp-sim plugin out there... :lol:
True. I was thinking of Trash's non-amp-sim IRs. I don't know of amp-sims that come with the variety of IRs that Trash comes with, although one could import them, if the amp-sim allows it--how many allow that? I have only a few. Blue Cat's Axiom doesn't allow imported IRs, AFAIK. I think I can use non-proprietary IRs with Audio Assault's Sigma--but it only comes with cabinet IRs.

I've often thought that more could be done with convolution. BT Phobos (an instrument) seems like it would be cool, but I never went for it, as many say it is disappointing. I us Kilohearts' and Melda's convolvers for their included quirky IRs. And of course distortion effects can be added. But couldn't their be a ton more IRs (not for reverb nor for amp sim) for such effects?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:36 pm one could import them, if the amp-sim allows it--how many allow that? I have only a few. Blue Cat's Axiom doesn't allow imported IRs, AFAIK.
Most actually do, including Destructor/Axiom and the free Voxengo Boogex.

By the way: I think quite similar to Trash in a way are both McDSP's Futzbox and Audiothing's Speakers. The big difference however is (and this goes of course for all the amp-sims too) that they're just single-band, so you'd need something like Waves' Studio Rack in order to approach some of the stuff you can do with Trash. (But such a combo would then of course be a whole lot more powerful and flexible than Trash.)

Yes shaperbox 3 has multiband distortion module and convolution module
Techno and other adjacent genres
Horse On The Third Floor : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyL394 ... n4RdaCYHjA

Is it true that the UI -still- doesn't scale?

Return to “Effects”