Which Beyerdynamic headphones?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks for all the new suggestions. I appreciate it. Looks like DT 880s are favorites of many here. I will consider it and all the other recommendations here and then decide on something that works best for my situation. I may consider any frequency correction software post that. Never used it, so a bit nervous, but I think with headphones it is not much of a hassle compared to monitors. Sonarworks SoundID Reference or dSONIQ Realphones? Oh no! :hihi:

I will remember to post here once I get a pair, which could be sooner or later. :tu:

_leras wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:58 am dt1990 are excellent and built really very well.

These may be more expensive but the build quality is great, they are very very comfortable and will last a lifetime if you look after them.
Nonsense. The bezel cracked after warranty, crappy design, rip-off for greater than £400. DT1990 Pro.

The 250 ohm DT-770 are very good. Mine do not take ninja macho amp to drive, much less than my T1s.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:31 pm Thanks for all the new suggestions. I appreciate it. Looks like DT 880s are favorites of many here. I will consider it and all the other recommendations here and then decide on something that works best for my situation
Another good thing with the DT880 is that it is comfortable to wear. It isn't heavy, and you can keep it on your ears for hours without feeling any fatigue.
Also, it provides a better isolation than open cans, but you don't feel as much "isolated" than with some other closed designs (if that makes sense).

Spring Goose wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:18 pm
_leras wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:58 am dt1990 are excellent and built really very well.

These may be more expensive but the build quality is great, they are very very comfortable and will last a lifetime if you look after them.
Nonsense. The bezel cracked after warranty, crappy design, rip-off for greater than £400. DT1990 Pro.
A quick google search did not indicate that this is a widespread issue. I actually did not see anything in a brief search to indicate that it has a crappy or flawed design. To the contrary, every review I saw explicitly mentioned its high quality build. Maybe you just got a bad copy or something? I've had my DT880s since 2008 and they're still in perfect working condition.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:26 pm I am currently using ATH-M50 headphones, but they are bit worn out
Have you looked into replacing your ATH-M50's ear pads? I replaced the ones in my MDR-7506's with big, fuzzy memory foam pads that look kind of like Beyerdynamic pads, and they made them a lot more pleasant to listen to (because the drivers are further away) and wear. The replacement pads were $20.

I now have DT 1770, DT 1990 (they are kept in box now), and Neumann NDH 30. I mostly use NDH 30 but DT 1990 is on the same level just differently tuned. Out of software, I tried every available software you can find (I am not joking or exaggerating) and to my surprise, I settled with Realphones which is marginally better than any other software - FOR ME.

I suggest you take DT 1990 and then do yourself a favor - trial SoundID and Realphones on your tracks. Keep in mind that with headphones it's a weird thing for your brain. As if you can turn on headphone correction and think what the f*** is this, then the next day when you start all over again, when you turn off the software you are again WTF is this?

As if your brain needs a day or more to adapt to something and then it is a point of no return.

You will hear all kinds of marketing nonsense and blabla from headphone correction software. Sometimes more sometimes less.
You only need to watch out for a single thing and that is: how your mixes made on such software translate to other systems. That is all that is important. Nothing else.

As long as we are speaking from the perspective of audio production - you are seeking software that will help you out producing and then translating those mixes to other systems.,

In my findings, Realphones works best out of everything I tried. Your mileage may vary which is why I am suggesting you try to listen to your favorite music but you also need to try mixing with the software that you are trialing. And then check on other systems.

I have found that Realphones (Studio 21 setup, Ambience set to 40-50%, subwoofer boost-deep bass 20%, headphone correction depending on your model from 50% to 100%) works magically. As if I walked into a room that has amazing acoustic treatment plus sound comes out of my head and in front of me.

For this reason, I still can not explain why Neumann NDH 30 works better than any Beyerdynamic cans (I even tried expensive Audeze models) so it seems that I have found my perfect pair. Note that I am not suggesting you purchase this model. During my research and trials with my colleagues, I have found some of them preferred Beyerdynamic, some Audeze, and some Neumann.

I think it has something with the fact that we all have different ear shapes, ear canals, and head sizes.

Good luck with it - it certainly was a revealing adventure with me. I will never forget a few months ago my jaw dropped when I listened to some of the tracks that I thought I knew personally and romantically, with Realphones I was able to hear details such as sequences or instruments that I never heard before. I was really surprised. From the prejudice and spitting on anyone who mixes with cans I converted to beliver.

EDIT: one more thing: for me, Beyerdynamics are much much more comfortable than Neumann which sucks because I love the sound of Neumann more. But that aspect is also important so keep this in mind.

sinkmusic wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:01 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:31 pm Thanks for all the new suggestions. I appreciate it. Looks like DT 880s are favorites of many here. I will consider it and all the other recommendations here and then decide on something that works best for my situation
Another good thing with the DT880 is that it is comfortable to wear. It isn't heavy, and you can keep it on your ears for hours without feeling any fatigue.
Also, it provides a better isolation than open cans, but you don't feel as much "isolated" than with some other closed designs (if that makes sense).
That's really good to know, thanks. Your and cryophonik's suggestions are leaning me towards trying DT 880 Pro 250 Ohm, which is a good thing since that reduces a lot of confusion between two 7xx and two 9xx options.

Uncle E wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:17 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:26 pm I am currently using ATH-M50 headphones, but they are bit worn out
Have you looked into replacing your ATH-M50's ear pads? I replaced the ones in my MDR-7506's with big, fuzzy memory foam pads that look kind of like Beyerdynamic pads, and they made them a lot more pleasant to listen to (because the drivers are further away) and wear. The replacement pads were $20.
Fortunately, the ear pads are not worn out as much as the headband is. Also, I don't find them comfortable to wear for longer periods, and that's one reason I don't use them much. Since it's been around 10 years I had these, I thought it will be good to try another pair from another brand, hopefully with better comfort and soundstage. I can still use my ATH-M50 without any problem for recording, so I thought it may be worth trying open back or semi-open back headphones now for any additional mixing/production benefit. I will keep your suggestion in mind though as it may be needed in the future. :tu:
Last edited by LoveEnigma18 on Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

kmonkey: Thank you for your detailed reply. The DT 1990 are too expensive for me (two/three times the prices of what I am looking at), so I will need to skip them this time. I appreciate your suggestions on the software front though. I will consider checking Realphones out once I get a new pair.

Your point on "mix translation" is spot on, and it is true not only for headphones/calibration software, but in general. I never tried such software due to hesitation and thinking it will be a hassle in the process with one more thing to learn and what if it works against me for some reason.

As you said, getting used will be important and even more will be to mix one song using this setup and see how it translates.

Are DT 880 Pro (250 Ohm explicitly if someone has) too harsh? Will soundstage be nice and wide with good clarity? I don't want excessive wideness. As long as they are comfortable, complement my ATH-M50, and are better from mixing viewpoint, I will be happy.

It seems that the DT 770 Pro are the harshest based on reading/watching relative audio tests.

Spring Goose wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:18 pm

I'd suggest getting in touch with them. As you say it's a premium price and they want happy customers.

Mine seem very well built. The metal case seems robust, easily replaceable components. I do take care of them though, as everyone knows headphones are fragile.

Tried the DT 770 Pro and absolutely hated the high end, very fatiguing on my ears. Tried the DT 900 Pro X and returned them. Clamping force was the strongest on any headphones I've ever tried and they were heavy, so I was constantly aware of the uncomfortable weight on my head, like a pair of bricks. The high end sounded weird to me, not harsh like the 770 Pro, but sort of recessed.

In the end I found the best pair for me: Sennheiser HD560S. Light, comfortable with velour earpads and foam cushioned headband, the most balanced analytical sound I've heard, and the best thing is they're only £130. Nothing sounds hyped or recessed, it's just all there. If there's anything wrong with your mix you'll hear it instantly. I can wear these all day and never feel like I need to take them off. Best cans I ever bought.

Vortifex wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:49 am Tried the DT 770 Pro and absolutely hated the high end, very fatiguing on my ears. Tried the DT 900 Pro X and returned them. Clamping force was the strongest on any headphones I've ever tried and they were heavy, so I was constantly aware of the uncomfortable weight on my head, like a pair of bricks. The high end sounded weird to me, not harsh like the 770 Pro, but sort of recessed.

In the end I found the best pair for me: Sennheiser HD560S. Light, comfortable with velour earpads and foam cushioned headband, the most balanced analytical sound I've heard, and the best thing is they're only £130. Nothing sounds hyped or recessed, it's just all there. If there's anything wrong with your mix you'll hear it instantly. I can wear these all day and never feel like I need to take them off. Best cans I ever bought.
Thanks for your input. I didn't think about Sennheiser, but this makes me want to check them out, after all my first ever headphones were Sennheiser ones. Sennheiser HD560S are 120 ohm, right? So, I think my audio interface (KA6) should drive them fairly well, too.

Some Beyerdynamic headphones are apparently heavy when I compare to my existing ATH-M50 (284g), which are already on the heavier side. So, best to stay below 300g in any case then.

880 Pro being semi-open may have a slight edge though considering my environment and they are apparently the lightest (under 300g) of the Beyerdynamic lineup I am looking at. HD560S have an advantage of lower headphone impedance. So, looks like I need to decide between 880 Pro and HD560S now.

Yep 120 ohms, and at 240g are lighter than the M50. They are open backed, so if your environment is noisy they're not ideal.

Disclaimer: If you buy them and hate them I'm in no way liable for costs :P

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”