Which Beyerdynamic headphones?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Vortifex wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:19 pm Yep 120 ohms, and at 240g are lighter than the M50. They are open backed, so if your environment is noisy they're not ideal.

Disclaimer: If you buy them and hate them I'm in no way liable for costs :P
Okay. Yeah, I want to be doubly sure on open back. I have separate studio bedroom which is not noisy, but fan noise in summer, plus sounds from kitchen or some other room do leak in a bit. I am not exactly able to judge how much noisy is too noisy for open back.

Haha, well, I am going to blame many if get DT 880 Pro and do not like them. :lol:

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:43 am That's really good to know, thanks. Your and cryophonik's suggestions are leaning me towards trying DT 880 Pro 250 Ohm, which is a good thing since that reduces a lot of confusion between two 7xx and two 9xx options.
I have the DT 880 Pro 250ohm and the 990 version.

They are both comfortable. I find the open back 990 gives me less ear fatigue after few hours of use. My studio is very quiet so I use open backs most of the time.

cryophonik wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:50 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:18 pm
_leras wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:58 am dt1990 are excellent and built really very well.

These may be more expensive but the build quality is great, they are very very comfortable and will last a lifetime if you look after them.
Nonsense. The bezel cracked after warranty, crappy design, rip-off for greater than £400. DT1990 Pro.
every review I saw explicitly mentioned its high quality build.
That's precisely why I am disappointed.

_leras wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:35 am
Spring Goose wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:18 pm
_leras wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:58 am dt1990 are excellent and built really very well.

These may be more expensive but the build quality is great, they are very very comfortable and will last a lifetime if you look after them.
Nonsense. The bezel cracked after warranty, crappy design, rip-off for greater than £400. DT1990 Pro.
I'd suggest getting in touch with them. As you say it's a premium price and they want happy customers.

Mine seem very well built. The metal case seems robust, easily replaceable components. I do take care of them though, as everyone knows headphones are fragile.
I'm happily using AKG 712 now. :)

I would love to be able to demo different headphone brands and models. And with sound id reference software.
If I found something which sounds better than my current setup i can see the value and would buy them.
Are there any music shops in the UK who have a decent range in stock and also allow testing with the correction software?

I have DT-1770 - 7 years, DT-1990 - 5 years. Both models were used quite extensively (literally every day of the week) and were even interchanged between me and my partner. Today they still look the very same. I consider their build very very high quality.

The only thing I changed on both of them beginning this year were the pads. I purchased original ones from Thomann and now they feel like new headphones.

This is not a written rule but my personal view - any gear that has served me for more than 5 years is high quality in my world. As I said I am now a Neumann user but to say Beyerdynamic is not high quality in my experience is a false statement.

I can understand some people can be unlucky and receive skewed models that deteriorate quickly, but it seems to me that with Beyerdynamics this is more an exception than the rule.

emailed Beyerdynamic

I'll tell ya this though: the DT-1990 are HEAVY! I don't think i'll return to using them as my first headphones, now that i have AKG 712.

kmonkey wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:59 pm As I said I am now a Neumann user but to say Beyerdynamic is not high quality in my experience is a false statement.
Well it isn't a false statement, when i have a broken one after just a couple of years of normal wear and tear.
IMG_20240314_075257432.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Spring Goose wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:41 am
kmonkey wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:59 pm As I said I am now a Neumann user but to say Beyerdynamic is not high quality in my experience is a false statement.
Well it isn't a false statement, when i have a broken one after just a couple of years of normal wear and tear.

I said it's an anomaly if you will. I didn't say you made a false statement. And later I explained it is more an exception than a rule.

To be fair just a slight look at your photo and I can assume you are not taking care of your gear.

So that breakage could be very well caused by you. It is a bold guess of mine, yes but just skimming through your photo causes me nausea. I wouldn't hand you a wooden stick to care for.

See mine.

Can you spot a difference? Do you see how well-preserved gear looks like? Yes, even the box behind is the original one and kept clean (though it was in my basement all this time). I was making photos weeks ago to make a "for sale" thread locally. Let it not confuse you - these were used EVERY DAY for more than 7 years.

kmonkey wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:11 am
Spring Goose wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:41 am

I said it's an anomaly if you will. I didn't say you made a false statement. And later I explained it is more an exception than a rule.

To be fair just a slight look at your photo and I can assume you are not taking care of your gear.

So that breakage could be very well caused by you. It is a bold guess of mine, yes but just skimming through your photo causes me nausea. I wouldn't hand you a wooden stick to care for.

See mine.

Can you spot a difference? Do you see how well-preserved gear looks like? Yes, even the box behind is the original one and kept clean (though it was in my basement all this time). I was making photos weeks ago to make a "for sale" thread locally. Let it not confuse you - these were used EVERY DAY for more than 7 years.
The breakage was caused by the wrong materials a hard brittle plastic that can crack.

I wouldn't hand you a wooden stick to care for.

I don't know what you mean. But if you're going to insult me then i will say this: You are worried about a bit of dust meaning you are a WIMP.

You're saying your plastic doesn't crack because you're a CLEAN FREAK?

You're soft. You're not normal. The sight of dust makes you feel nausea.

See mine.

Lucky you having a basement!

Can i spot a difference? Well yes its a different model of headphones, what is your point?

I use my headphones 10-14 hours a day every day, because i'm disabled, and does the DT1990 Pro's rugged design not mean they are intended for rugged use? Anyway i've had a reply from Beyerdynamic, i expect that they will help me. Let me not confuse you - i don't like your condescending tone can you come down from your ivory tower please?

kmonkey wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:59 pm I have DT-1770 - 7 years, DT-1990 - 5 years. Both models were used quite extensively (literally every day of the week) and were even interchanged between me and my partner. Today they still look the very same. I consider their build very very high quality.

The only thing I changed on both of them beginning this year were the pads. I purchased original ones from Thomann and now they feel like new headphones.

This is not a written rule but my personal view - any gear that has served me for more than 5 years is high quality in my world. As I said I am now a Neumann user but to say Beyerdynamic is not high quality in my experience is a false statement.

I can understand some people can be unlucky and receive skewed models that deteriorate quickly, but it seems to me that with Beyerdynamics this is more an exception than the rule.
Hmmm they do sell this but dunno if i'll get in the UK, but apparently it is a thing

https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/slider- ... -1990.html

DT250 80 Ohm version - those are fantastic headphones I'm surprised nobody is mentioning here. 80Ω variant is actually better because apparently it has lighter internal materials compared to 250Ω and seem to be more dynamic. This model doesn't have the 770/880/990 artificial treble harshness but some people complain about the lack of treble extension. They have middle-centric warm signature and surprisingly wide soundstage for closed headphones. There used to be a problem with channel imbalance but I haven't noticed this myself and there's also easy fix for it you can find on the web

I have used DT 880 Pro (250 Ohm), DT 770 Pro (80 Ohm) and DT 1770 Pro (250 Ohms).

I got the 880's years ago and I've been extremely happy with them. After moving to a smaller apartment I needed something with better noise isolation so I got the 770's. I didn't like the sound though (really weak upper mids compared to 880 Pro).

I figured since the 1770's are essentially their top of the range closed backs, they'd be nearly as good as a pair of open backs. I really do like them, they're like a slightly bassier and less sibilant version of the 880 Pro's. I still think the 1990's would be even better but like I said, I need closes headphones for their noise isolation.

Spring Goose wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:39 am now that i have AKG 712.
The AKG 712's are my main headphones. I use the Beyers as a second reference.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”