Repro-1: Automation is not recorded if ...

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Automation is not recorded if I use an external controller and if the parameters are mapped via the internal midi mapping of repro-1. Actually the knobs move in the gui and the sound changes accordingly but the movements were not recorded. But if I move the knobs in the gui via mouse the movements were recorded with no issue.

If I do the same with arturias modular V3 - which also has internal midi mapping - the movements were recorded if controlled by an external controller. So I guess it's not a host issue - I'm using fl-studio by the way.

It's the same behaviour with all four cc-types (incremental, absolute, ..).

Best regards
steff

Hi Steff,

if you send MIDI data via an external controller, then you need to record MIDI data in a MIDI clip, not automation data in an automation lane. Those are two separate things.
If you record knobs on a GUI, that would write automation data to an automation lane in your DAW. But sending MIDI via a controller, that's MIDI data for a MIDI clip (i.e. the same clip that also contains the notes you play).
Can you try that and report back what you found?

Viktor

Hi Viktor,
thank you for your reply. I understand what you're explaining but I'am on holidays until friday and won't be able to test it the way you described it. I expect that it would work your way but that way I would have only a resolution of 128 steps and I could only use absolute CC-values. I would like to use incremental CC-parameters (which are supported by Repro-1). As I mentioned, the knobs of Repro-1 do move but the vst-automation interface of Repro-1 is obviously not reporting this to the host (which in contrary does happen if I move them by mouse). The same scenario works without a problem in arturias' Modular V3.

When I'm back I will capture a video to demonstrate it.

Best regards
steff

Hi Steff,
whatever your MIDI controller sends, that's recorded in the MIDI clip. If it sends finer increments (I would have guessed you'd need a high-resolution controller for that), then that's recorded in the MIDI clip, and played back accordingly. Meaning, whatever you do on your MIDI controller, you're not losing resolution when recording that.

It strikes me as a "can of worms" to record both the MIDI data that your controller sends and simultaneously the automation data that the same GUI knobs create when moving them. The same data twice, not sure how that doesn't lead to conflicts on playback. But maybe I need to try it myself.

Hi Victor
Here is the link to the video. I hope this makes it clearer.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvGEuqaLQuDGh4BFmoi ... A?e=IN57mS

I know you're trying to illustrate the issue but FL Studio is to me the most confusing DAW in the world, I don't understand what's happening in that video unfortunately, with all those settings. That's on me, very sorry.

No worry and thank you for trying. I must admit that the video is not self-explaining at all without voice. I will make a new one in the next few days.

steff2000 wrote: ↑Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:47 pm Hi Victor
Here is the link to the video. I hope this makes it clearer.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvGEuqaLQuDGh4BFmoi ... A?e=IN57mS
Hi,
The video is not loading.
Have you made a ticket in Image-Line tech support by any chance?
What version of the Repro-1 are you using? VST3, VST2, or CLAP?

Hi phreaque,
Maybe you have to download the video to be able to watch it - but, it is not very good and I will make another one.

About your questions:
I tested it with the vst2 version of Repro-1 (vst3 does not load) and I tested it as well with zebra vst2 and vst3. It's the same behaviour in all three cases.

I'm pretty sure that it has nothing to do with the host because of the following reasons:
1) Arturia Modular V3 works without a problem in vst2 and vst3.
2) The automation data of Repro-1 or Zebra is recorded if I manipulate the parameter knobs of the plugin by mouse (including scroll wheel).
And as I descibed in my first post, the paramter knobs in the GUI of the plugin do move if I manipulate them with an external controller using the internal parameter mapping of the plugin - BUT: they are just not recorded in this case (which does work with Arturia Modular V3).

My suggestion:
After having a look at the VST3 specs I guess that the signaling of parameter manipulation (beginEdit, performEdit, endEdit) as described here (https://steinbergmedia.github.io/vst3_d ... Index.html)
is not issued if the manipulation is issued via the internal parameter mapping.

Why is this so important:
I would like to use incremental CCs to manipulate the parameters which has several advantages over using absolute CCs:
1) The resolution is much higher (especially when using fine mode in the midi mapping of Repro-1)
2) There are no value jumps because the parameter value change is always relativ to its current state.

steff2000 wrote: ↑Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:06 pm Hi phreaque,
Maybe you have to download the video to be able to watch it - but, it is not very good and I will make another one.

About your questions:
I tested it with the vst2 version of Repro-1 (vst3 does not load) and I tested it as well with zebra vst2 and vst3. It's the same behaviour in all three cases.
Hi,
I've downloaded the video & from the first glimpse, I could recall the very same problem was happening with Arturia's Pigments, any macro knob or MIDI learned parameters were not captured in FL Studio. And we (Image-Line team) made sure it was not some limitation in FL Studio itself that might prevent the process, so we addressed this issue to Arturia team & they indeed fixed it with the release of v4.1.0.3420*

I'll do some more testing, and will contact U-He team directly if I find more clues.

Thanks for pointing at this issue.

Hi phreaque, thank very much for caring about this!!

Best regards
steff

Return to β€œu-he”