FIXED! Logic users: do NOT update to Mac OS 14.4 Sonoma yet! iLok problems

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BertKoor wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:00 am Of what I gathered, v14.3 is OK (the whole 14.x series is called Sonoma) and the bork is only since v14.4 which was released less than a week ago.
I can confirm that iLok license manager and the physical key have zero problems under 14.3.
I had reasons to move to Sonoma OS but no reason to update past 14.3 even to 14.3.1.

I'm not sure why an iLok issue would involve Logic per se. There are no interdepencies with a DAW I wouldn't guess.

As to formatting other than Mac OS Extended (journaled), I strongly recommend to change your mind, regardless of what you may have been told. I'd wager things would change for you.

I've around 160 activations on the key.
DrGonzo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:08 am
BertKoor wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:00 am Of what I gathered, v14.3 is OK (the whole 14.x series is called Sonoma) and the bork is only since v14.4 which was released less than a week ago.
Got it. I always take it for granted that any x.0 or x.1 are big no-nos.
Bert has gathered the problem started with a .4.
I moved to Sonoma behind issues (that may not have been widespread) at before a .0 (OS14 in beta) which sorted my issue, introducing no new issue as far as I can determine. That said, I have to see a reason in the release notes to update an OS if things are running swell. Ain't broke/don't fix.

jancivil wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:19 pm
I can confirm that iLok license manager and the physical key have zero problems under 14.3.
I had reasons to move to Sonoma OS but no reason to update past 14.3 even to 14.3.1.

I'm not sure why an iLok issue would involve Logic per se. There are no interdepencies with a DAW I wouldn't guess.

As to formatting other than Mac OS Extended (journaled), I strongly recommend to change your mind, regardless of what you may have been told. I'd wager things would change for you.
Bit annoying the iLok site doesn't provide you with information about when updates are published or changelogs as far as I can see, so it's going to be hard to know if and when they fix this (assuming it is on them to do so)

last issue I had, which was widespread (needing to reinstall LM every restart) I had to fix myself; there was more than one kind of tortured solution eg., involving a not-simple Terminal script but the matter was simply uninstall the thing and re-up. It did seem to involve a move to OS14.3 13.6 but that may be a coincidence. Other edit: their uninstaller didn't work, I had to manually find everything and clean uninstall.

I doubt there would be anything like an announcement of an update schedule. My only contact with their support was via the LM. The support for me recently has been by far the fastest and most thorough response in the digital era despite the not-terrifically useful website. I used to really hate it, it's not their strong point.
Last edited by jancivil on Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vst2 and vst3 ilok seems ok here, on 14.4
looks like it's an AU only issue. Though my iLok plugins are definitely taking longer to load first time.

FWIW:

UA discussing the issue https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articl ... 4-4-Update

PACE mentioning that they and Apple are aware https://help.ilok.com/faq_licenses.html ... _4_plugins
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

My M2 pro Mac mini came with Ventura - so there was no way to stay behind on the OS updates. Since I was having a lot of problems with Ventura I thought Sonoma would be better. NOT!
Still got my old Mac Pro 5.1 on Mojave for production... Seems I still can't make the switch to the new machine. :-/

Its not just Ilok, Kilohearts sent me an email saying not to upgrade to Sonama 14.4.

" From Kilohearts ?? IMPORTANT: Avoid upgrading to MacOS 14.4
Unfortunately, we have to join the chorus of audio software developers advising users against upgrading your MacOS to Sonoma 14.4.
A few users have reported various problems with Kilohearts plugins in the latest MacOS update and we are in the process of working out what is causing them and finding a solution.
In the meantime, we recommend avoiding updating your OS, if possible. If you run into any issues with our software, please email the details to Kilohearts Support so we can keep you updated."

Edit: in case its not obvious, Kilohearts dont use Ilok, they use a serial number when installing their plugins.
Last edited by Kypresso on Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win 10 with Ryzen 5950x, Bitwig 5, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

Wow, Sonama 14.4 seems to be breaking a lot of different stuff!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

macOS Sonoma 14.4 introduces new emoji as well as other features, bug fixes, and security updates for your Mac.

Emoji

• New mushroom, phoenix, lime, broken chain, and shaking heads emoji are now available in emoji keyboard
• 18 people and body emoji support facing the opposite direction

This update also includes the following improvements and bug fixes:

• Podcasts Episode text can be read in full, searched for a word or phrase, clicked to play from a specific point and used with accessibility features such as Text Size, Increase Contrast, and VoiceOver
• Business Updates in Messages for Business let you get updates that you've opted into, like order status, flight notifications, fraud alerts or other transactions from trusted businesses
• Safari Favorites Bar adds an option to show only icons for websites

Some features may not be available for all regions, or on all Apple devices.

No reason to update here by reading this :shrug:

The mushroom emoji is f**king great 👍🏻

Although the shaking head emoji seems more appropriate for Apple’s tendency to break stuff
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Just for clarity's sake, OS updates are almost always more about security concerns than whatever silly emoji change gets made. The problem with security is it always runs against third party hacks to get things working properly, or IMO in this case code on a USB dongle on probably a USB hub.

I'm not getting any full on incompatibility in other DAWs, but I am getting iLoks losing connection with the Mac Studio here, and oddly enough the mac keyboard sometimes. The biggest offender with 14.4 is Kontakt, not a surprise, but Kontakt will cause a kernal panic if I move the plugin to the second monitor here and as much as touch the plugins interface.

So yeah an update will probably fix most of this, just wonder when Apple will get to fixing it?

is the mushroom orange? I can imagine a use for it... :arrow:

as to showing the readout in "System Settings", if I cared about the Podcasts Episode app or was part of the jetset and needed flight updates, hey... I do feel like a train trip to oblivion, so maybe I'll update before then.

for me 13.6 did something untoward I couldn't have predicted from what I know, which isn't shit. this is just a black box for me.

14.4 updates several firmware versions as well as multiple security bugs that are being actively exploited so I hope Apple updates the update quickly.

sqigls wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:36 am vst2 and vst3 ilok seems ok here, on 14.4
looks like it's an AU only issue. Though my iLok plugins are definitely taking longer to load first time.
Seems to be a Logic issue.
AUs work fine in Live 12 (and Renoise), Sonoma 14.4 (including everything iLok related)
I wasn't even aware there was a problem until reading this thread...
I have Logic but don't use it, and indeed when trying any Softube plugin it crashes Logic instantly.
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”