FIXED! Logic users: do NOT update to Mac OS 14.4 Sonoma yet! iLok problems

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I also found Monterey a bit 'perkier' than Big Sur. I've prepared a few things to go to Sonoma, but I really don't feel the need, at this point. Logic's new mastering suite? I'm sure it's interesting, but I can wait. I still read recent things about Ventura being problematic with Logic, so, no.
The thing that pisses me off is that my iPhone is up to date, my desktop, not. I can't update my music playlists on my iPhone without the latest OS, afaics.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

syntonica wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:06 am
martinjuenke wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:31 am
BertKoor wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:02 am
martinjuenke wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:53 am Can someone recommend an updated and reliable Sonoma compatibility list?
I'm thinking of taking the jump.
You're going to jump from what MacOs version, using what hardware?
I think if you're on a 64-bit CPU with Big Sur or further (Monterey & Ventura) then nothing is expected to break.
I‘m on Monterey / Mac Mini M1.
I did that jump on an M1 Air and everything went smoothly. If anything, it seems a bit perkier. I only have a few M1 native plugins and no issues with them. Intel plugins have all been working terrifically.

Note: I have not yet installed 10.4.x.
10.4.x of what???

i might jump to sonoma from ventura 13.5.2 now that the AU/Logic bug is sorted out. there's nothing really in it that i want but i usually stay one OS behind what is current and I suspect MacOS 15 is going to be announced in June.. so, still some time but i hate even having to think about it.

are the older OSs still available for download thru apple? i know support used to house some links in different places but i haven't had to bother in so long.

dayjob wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 am
martinjuenke wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:53 am Can someone recommend an updated and reliable Sonoma compatibility list?
I think if you're on a 64-bit CPU with Big Sur or further (Monterey & Ventura) then nothing is expected to break.
I did that jump on an M1 Air and everything went smoothly. If anything, it seems a bit perkier. I only have a few M1 native plugins and no issues with them. Intel plugins have all been working terrifically.

10.4.x of what???

i might jump to sonoma from ventura 13.5.2 now that the AU/Logic bug is sorted out. there's nothing really in it that i want but i usually stay one OS behind what is current and I suspect MacOS 15 is going to be announced in June.. so, still some time but i hate even having to think about it.

are the older OSs still available for download thru apple? i know support used to house some links in different places but i haven't had to bother in so long.
Sorry. Old OS X habits did hard. OS 14 Sonoma.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

10.4.x of what???

google macOS xxx, and it should take you to the app store where you can find it. That is how I found Ventura.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:55 am

10.4.x of what???

google macOS xxx, and it should take you to the app store where you can find it. That is how I found Ventura.
good to know for next time. i went with 14.4.1 and all is well. it's indistinguishable from ventura really.

Here’s my recent experience on Monterey on a 2021 M1. I updated to 12.7.4 and encountered the issue with iLok cloud only licences not showing. UAD Connect would fail to load as a result. Live sets and Bitwig projects that contained any iLok cloud protected plugin wouldn't load. All other iLok plugins would load into Live or Bitwig fine, where they were licenced to the machine.

If you look at the release dates from Apple, Monterey 12.7.4, Ventura 13.6.5 and Sonoma 14.4 were all released on the same day, 7th March, indicating a shared code base.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS_Monterey
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS_Ventura
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS_Sonoma

Apple fixed the issue in Ventura 13.6.6 and Sonoma 14.4.1 on the same day, 25th Mar, however Monterey 12.7.4 has not been updated. The Sonoma release notes included “ - Copy protected Audio Unit plug-ins designed for professional music apps may not open or pass validation”

I raised a support request with Apple and they advised that they will not fix this issue in ‘older operating systems’ and provide only ‘limited support’ for Monterey now, less than 3 years after release. They highlighted that a resolution is available if updating to Sonoma.

So, I’ve been holding off for a while and updated to Ventura 13.6.6 and all problems resolved immediately. So far, no problems with any plugin, I’d been tracking which of the 450+ plugins had official Ventura support and I was down to the last 6 or so where the vendor had not made an announcement.

Be interested if anyone else experienced this in 12.7.4, hopefully this helps.

Sekops wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:53 am Here’s my recent experience on Monterey on a 2021 M1.
Why are you even still on Monterey?
Half a dozen vendors unknown support?
Contact their support. You don't want devs which don't care.

And as I wrote some pages back:
i.o.w: you have nothing to fear except fear itself.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Sekops wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:53 am Be interested if anyone else experienced this in 12.7.4, hopefully this helps.
Why oh why being on M based based Mac are you still using outdated OS… :dog:

My experience with Monterey is that it is very stable and fast for Logic. I've been updating stuff like my RME drivers and such in expectation of upgrading to either Ventura or Sonoma, but I keep reading issues with Logic/Ventura, and Sonoma isn't ripe yet. I want 3 more years out of this M1 mini, and I have to monitor the N-I Komplete Kontrol compatibility.
I'm on 12.7.2, btw.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

mdx4ever wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:06 am
Sekops wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:53 am Be interested if anyone else experienced this in 12.7.4, hopefully this helps.
Because if it ain't broke, don't fix it, as evidenced by this very thread.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:04 pm
What if it is so complex that it actually is always broken in its current state, and you can gradually get it less broken. But on the way to reach that less broken state occasionally some other stuff breaks which gets fixed quite rapidly?
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

sQeetz wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:01 pm
syntonica wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:04 pm
What if it is so complex that it actually is always broken in its current state, and you can gradually get it less broken. But on the way to reach that less broken state occasionally some other stuff breaks which gets fixed quite rapidly?
Frankly, all software is broken in one way or another, but if everything is working to your needs, then I'd consider that a stable configuration and not mess with it.

syntonica wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:12 pm Frankly, all software is broken in one way or another, but if everything is working to your needs, then I'd consider that a stable configuration and not mess with it.
Indeed. But your stable configuration might be broken in other, not obvious, ways you would actually want to have patched...
specially on a machine connected to the internet
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

sQeetz wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:40 pm
syntonica wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:12 pm Frankly, all software is broken in one way or another, but if everything is working to your needs, then I'd consider that a stable configuration and not mess with it.
Indeed. But your stable configuration might be broken in other, not obvious, ways you would actually want to have patched...
specially on a machine connected to the internet
You can't Wave my statement away with semantics. If I wanted to have a bug fixed, then I would not consider my setup stable. QED

Also, I'd prefer not to have my machine connected to the Internet except if needed to activate a license, although this is nigh impossible anymore as we now have to pay for the privilege of being shipped upon.

Sekops wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:53 am I raised a support request with Apple and they advised that they will not fix this issue in ‘older operating systems’ and provide only ‘limited support’ for Monterey now, less than 3 years after release. They highlighted that a resolution is available if updating to Sonoma.
Wow, that's bad news, Apple! :evil:
I still have an older machine running Monterey and it seemed to work better than Ventura (a total car crash in my tests...) or Sonoma.
Apple is starting to get really annoying. Just upgraded my Macbook pro 2020 from Catalina to Sonoma... Lots of hassle and problems... Argh!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”