MuLab 10

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23mP4gVQzXA

Here's that video as promised!

I know not everyone will agree with what I've said, but I think my general opinion is there: Mulab needs to be a DAW first, modular instrument second. Currently it's the other way around: Modular instrument/effect first with a composer inside of it.

When it comes to synths and effects, folks can generally supplement with plugins. But the DAW itself needs to be ergonomic, informative, and quick to work in.

Cheers!
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

Well said! Wrt comments, need to watch video yet though.
Last edited by sl23 on Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I agree on the Sidechain. BTW, Reaper has the easiest way of implementing it: Just drag the Send button (from the Track Panel or Mixer) over the Compressor UI and it's done!
That would be great in Mulab.
No menus to choose from. Even better than Ableton or Bitwig.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Thanks for the awesome video, Chris!
You clearly show how improving many small steps adds up to a better flow experience!
Your side-by-side comparison of the same actions in different DAWs is terrific.

Yet, I am not sold on MuLab being another mixing-first DAW.
I believe MuLab's unique strength is being a workstation "instrument with a composer inside."

Either way, MuLab will benefit from a roadmap that focuses development on core capabilities.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

dakkra wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:21 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23mP4gVQzXA
Here's that video as promised!
Thx!
Not yet fully watched it, will continue tomorrow, but already this quick note that the crash bug you encountered at 13' 31" will have been fixed in the next update. Pfew that bug must have been in there for ages. Congrats on discovering it :party:

The video certainly goes over a lot, and yet it's only scratching the surface of what MuLab has the potential for! Some features I didn't even think about being missing or inconvenient for the end user, like the splash screen UX, or inability to toggle Composer/Editor, or metering for modules and tracks.

A lot can be said about Dakkra's approach to analyzing features and comparing DAWs, and I see it comes from a place of what a musician might want out of a DAW versus just using it for the modular area with other plugins. Of course, that doesn't mean everyone has to view MuLab the exact same way, but because so much is left to be desired for use as a proper DAW for mixing, especially since it has basically all of the components for it, it sometimes feels like it gets unfairly dismissed. Taking care of its shortcomings I think will only make its strengths well worth it for the end user.
I make chunes and such!

Michael L wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:06 pm Thanks for the awesome video, Chris!
I suppose this community was bound to find out eventually, but I recently came out as trans woman and go by Eurydice (Izzy for short) now days :hug: No offence taken at it, just letting you know for the future :D
Michael L wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:06 pm You clearly show how improving many small steps adds up to a better flow experience!
Your side-by-side comparison of the same actions in different DAWs is terrific.
Thank you! While I don't want Mulab to be a 1:1 copy of other DAWs, I certainly want it to compete in terms of workflow and ease of use!
Michael L wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:06 pm Yet, I am not sold on MuLab being another mixing-first DAW.
I believe MuLab's unique strength is being a workstation "instrument with a composer inside."
Like I said, not everyone would agree with my comments, but that's good! Everyone needs a voice to be heard so Jo can get a more vast knowledge base on what both hobbyist and professionals want!
Michael L wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:06 pm Either way, MuLab will benefit from a roadmap that focuses development on core capabilities.
Agreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!
My Setup.

This is why I tried to make that post on workflow enhancements, designed to make it easier to read and take notes. Seems no one liked the ideas though? :cry:

I'm making a playlist of more digestible videos (shorter in length and focused on one topic at a time). Will share soon :)
My Setup.

Thanks dakkra! I appreciate what you're doing. Would you be able to make some vids of the FR's I put in the list? If not it's OK, I thank you for the time and effort you have already put in. :tu: :clap:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 03yN7ZlXfE

Here's that playlist of even more ideas to improve Mulab!

Not and exhaustive list with all the videos I've shared so far, but it's a step in the right direction I think. Of course this would be a ton of things to implement, so I know not everything will be taken into account. However these are the things that would help greatly to expand Mulab as a DAW to a more professional audience :D
My Setup.

dakkra wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:06 am https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 03yN7ZlXfE

Here's that playlist of even more ideas to improve Mulab!

Not and exhaustive list with all the videos I've shared so far, but it's a step in the right direction I think. Of course this would be a ton of things to implement, so I know not everything will be taken into account. However these are the things that would help greatly to expand Mulab as a DAW to a more professional audience :D
Thanks for the all videos. So many ideas there. I hope Jo is enjoying this :hihi:

One more UX feature that most of DAWs have and it's a super time saving to have is fades and cross-fades per clip/sequence.
qtractor-0.9.0-user-manual_fadedAudioClip.png
For a better explanation please take a look at it:

https://www.qtractor.org/doc/Manual%20- ... ross-fades

I didn't watch ALL the videos, so please ignore above if it in there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dakkra wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:06 am Here's that playlist of even more ideas to improve Mulab!
Thanks for the 2nd video Izzy :tu:
Will watch soon and take the time to reflect on it.
That will probably take some time, but i'll surely get back on it here in this topic.

I'll most probably also share some new updates (M9.5 betas and when finalized the M9.5 official release) which were already planned before this topic. Please don't interpret those releases as if i would not listen to what's being said here. On the very short term these are parallel topics. But as said i'll certainly get back on this topic soon.

By the way: Congrats & best wishes Izzy on the new chapter in your life :tu:

oldcastle wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:28 am One more UX feature that most of DAWs have and it's a super time saving to have is fades and cross-fades per clip/sequence.
It's already available:
https://www.mutools.com/info/M9/docs/mu ... poser.html
See the "Audio Clips" section.

Hey Izzy, let's flip this: In your experience, what type of user is MuLab the very best DAW for?
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Return to “MUTOOLS”