On the hunt - happy accident machines

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know how to program synths. I've been doing it for years. I'm kinda sick of it lately.

I'm after instruments that offer one or both of the following: 1.good randomization, 2. "different" interface. Something "fun"!

It has to be VST3 and it must run on OS 10.13. However, I don't expect you to make sure it fits my system requirements so drop the name here and I'll figure out if it will run on my setup (You might think the 10.13 thing might be very limiting but there are still lots of recent 10.13 capable VSTs out there. It's mostly the "big boys" like Arturia and NI that have moved on).

I am demoing Baby Audio BA-1 right now and find its randomization produces useful results but I'm not sure if I want something quite that simple.

Tone 2 Warlock is small, cheap and quite fun to randomize. And I like the sound of it, for the most part.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

U-he Filterscape VA? Randomization plus the polyphonic morphing EQ gives some interesting results to play with.

Not a randomizer as such but I quite like using the genetics feature from dune and making new sounds from my presets.

parma wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:34 am I know how to program synths. I've been doing it for years. I'm kinda sick of it lately.

I'm after instruments that offer one or both of the following: 1.good randomization, 2. "different" interface. Something "fun"!

It has to be VST3 and it must run on OS 10.13. However, I don't expect you to make sure it fits my system requirements so drop the name here and I'll figure out if it will run on my setup (You might think the 10.13 thing might be very limiting but there are still lots of recent 10.13 capable VSTs out there. It's mostly the "big boys" like Arturia and NI that have moved on).

I am demoing Baby Audio BA-1 right now and find its randomization produces useful results but I'm not sure if I want something quite that simple.
Logic’s ES2 synth has a randomize feature with a percentage slider. It’s cool

Arcsyn has a randomizer, ends up in all my projects because of that. Awesome for layering

Another suggestion: https://beatsurfing.com/audio-plugins/random/

It's even named "Random".

Free and fun, but not Earth-shattering in the sound it produces: https://sampleson.com/rand-synthesizer.html

Samiver wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:19 am Not a randomizer as such but I quite like using the genetics feature from dune and making new sounds from my presets.
+1. Satisfies OP's every requirement.

Uncle E wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:50 pm
Samiver wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:19 am Not a randomizer as such but I quite like using the genetics feature from dune and making new sounds from my presets.
+1. Satisfies OP's every requirement.
I used to use the one in Crystal for years. Got some awesome sounds out of it, although the parents you chose really didn't matter much for the child patch. :lol:
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Synplant
aliasing plugin owner
:?

Audio Damage Replicant 2
Devious Machines Infiltrator
Anemond Factoid2
GLiKO
Aberrant Audio shapeshifter
Inear Display Incipit
Ircam ASAP Spectral Remix
Dawesome LOVE

:ud:

Korg Volca FM2 has a randomise button

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll start checking them out.

Return to “Instruments”