Bye bye VST2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Meanwhile, I've been wandering around Presonus Studio One forums and... Noone has previously asked for CLAP support... Freaking.
Oh, more freaking even. Someone did 2 years ago, and I already voted to that.
Please, opening an account on Presonus is free, you need to login to access this:
https://answers.presonus.com/74913/add- ... 913#q74913
Upvote & comment.

Voted up.

kperry wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:22 am Has anyone apart from Urs had a legal response about this? This seems somewhat foolish to push from Steinberg's side (it will p*ss off a lot of users and other DAW/plug-in companies if implemented) and we have only one actual legal response (and we all know what lawyers are like - 2 in a room and you'll get 3 interpretations :-)).
They want VST2 dead, that's the whole of the story. How far they can or will take it if someone decides to continue to release VST2 is anybodies guess?

By the way, is there any official statement regarding this decision from some big vst makers or DAW makers ?

parma wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:50 am I'll eat my hat if Reason is among the first to adopt CLAP. And I'm someone that likes and uses Reason. It would be awesome but "Reason Studios" does things the "Reason Studios" way.
Indeed! Reaper got CLAP before Reason finished adding VST3.

wikter wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:52 am Presonus S1 could be the 5th most popular, based on Thomann's data.
https://www.thomann.de/es/cat_rank.html ... 66&gk=SWSQ
Thomann's rankings of sold DAWs have zero to do with DAW usage in the real world. Just sayin...
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Sascha Franck wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:45 pm
wikter wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:52 am Presonus S1 could be the 5th most popular, based on Thomann's data.
Thomann's rankings of sold DAWs have zero to do with DAW usage in the real world. Just sayin...
I fear you are not an authority on statistical matters;
:scared:

donkey tugger wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:48 pm I fear you are not an authority on statistical matters;
While that might be very true, I fear I need to inform you that, just as one example, Thomann is selling exactly zero copies of Apple's finest.
And as far as anything else goes, has Thomann ever been your first stop for software shopping?

Sascha Franck wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:04 pm
donkey tugger wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:48 pm I fear you are not an authority on statistical matters;
While that might be very true, I fear I need to inform you that, just as one example, Thomann is selling exactly zero copies of Apple's finest.
And as far as anything else goes, has Thomann ever been your first stop for software shopping?
I'm not a bleedin hun, as you know. :hihi:

donkey tugger wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:09 pm I'm not a bleedin hun, as you know. :hihi:
I almost forgot...

Music Engineer wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:33 amIt took quite a long while for them to support LV2 as well - but finally, they did
And what good did it do for them? I'm not seeing an avalanche of LV2 plugins built with JUCE, to be honest...

Sascha Franck wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:45 pm
yeah. i believe you. these reseller run surveys don't really show much of anything.. forums etc aren't representative of the industry. same way modwiggler (formerly muffwiggler) was/is only a tiny part of the modular environment. manufacturers and the shops would chime in once in a while and remind forum users that they were but a tiny part of the market and not to get too hung up on themselves as having influence.

machinesworking wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:40 am They want VST2 dead, that's the whole of the story. How far they can or will take it if someone decides to continue to release VST2 is anybodies guess?
Well, I can imagine a situation where I would get a cease & desist letter from them, forcing me to put my entire business on hold (including selling from our site and from our dealers) until I've updated ALL of our products to not include VST2 any longer. To be honest, I won't take this risk just because "who cares". I'll inform all of our customers that we are in the verge of stopping the development and distribution of VST2 plugins. I'm sorry, but where it comes to legal situations like this one, it's my responsibility as a CEO to comply.

Ableton 12 beta discussion in the beta forum at centercode is getting lot's of positive votes/chatter/feature requests to support CLAP.. so that's good.

Hope "CLAP" will be "the" Standart soon, tired of that Steinberg BS

Return to “Effects”