Good guitar tone degraded after recording - Reaper DAW [SOLVED]

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello all,

I have been encountering an inexplainable problem lately, after crafting my guitar tone (With plugins) and being really satisfied with how it sounds (tight low end, no muddiness etc.) I record it and boom! the audio is degraded. Mainly, uneven low end & and weird resonant frequencies.

I have troubleshooted every possible step & scoured every forum but only to find answers directed more to the beginner producers such as ( check if you have your direct monitoring switched on at the same time etc...)

So in a nutshell when monitoring through my Daw the sound is tight & clean, after recording muddy & resonant.

Anyways here are all the details:

.Daw being used: Reaper 6
.Interface: Scarlet solo 1st gen
.Sample rate: 48000
.Buffer size:192
.Guitars with active pickups / single coils.

Honestly there is no logical reason for this to happen except some weird routing issue in Reaper on playback but if someone has any idea about this your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks alot guys! & have a good one!
Last edited by Marwan A on Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Is there a way for you to capture what you 'hear'? With loopback recording for instance?

Since you've eliminated the direct monitoring possibility, hearing what you're hearing might help figure it out. (posting both versions)

Could you record a video to demonstrate what's happening so we can actually hear the difference?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Marwan A wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:23 pm I have troubleshooted every possible step & scoured every forum but only to find answers directed more to the beginner producers such as ( check if you have your direct monitoring switched on at the same time etc...)
That’s what it does sound like to me.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Marwan A wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:23 pm Hello all,

I have been encountering an inexplainable problem lately, after crafting my guitar tone (With plugins) and being really satisfied with how it sounds (tight low end, no muddiness etc.) I record it and boom! the audio is degraded. Mainly, uneven low end & and weird resonant frequencies.
So a lined clean guitar signal into hi impedance input on interface and some amp sim and maybe plugins for realtime monitoring in Reaper.
- is that correct?

Normally a guitar is mono input and output is stereo in this situation.

Sounds to me the track playback is mono or similar.
- are you getting two waveforms in recorded track

Some daws handle conversion mono to stereo differently how things are routed.

I would just bypass plugins and listen to clean lined signal as monitored and recorded as a test.
- once clean is recorded it's all ITB what goes wrong.

It's also possible you both record what you hear and the input signal and make a mess this way.
- delayed signal through reaper recorded together with direct.
- if you bypass all plugins you might find the answer
- the signal should be just clean guitar

Just a bunch of ideas...

Thank you all for your replies

[ISSUE SOLVED]

All of the above details you guys suggested where already verified, the issue was coming from the routing section.

The way I did it was that in the routing section I changed the parent channel on each guitar track from (1/2) to simply 1 or 2.

I managed to achieve a better stereo image this way & to reduce all
resonance issues, muddiness & uneven low end.

Thanks again for all your responses!

Return to “Production Techniques”